The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2017, 04:47 PM

I started going to the local drag strip (NY National Speedway) 50 years ago...

If you were running 8.80 ET's in a full-bodied car back then it was either one of the legendary AA/Gas Supercharged coupes (Stone-Woods-Cook, "Big John" Mazmanian, "Ohio George" Montgomery, et al.), or the last of the Factory Experimental "match-bash" doorslammers (ancestor of today's 330+ MPH Funny Cars) with an injected 500 cubic-inch big-block on 98% nitro under the hood - either of which required solid weapons-grade plutonium 'nads to drive...

I can take my wife for a Sunday ride in this one...
Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if it has a multi speed transmission or just one speed direct drive like the world's fastest production electric motorcycle

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-17-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I wonder if it has a multi speed transmission or just one speed direct drive like the world's production electric motorcycle
Does it need a transmission?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Does it need a transmission?
I assume it would technically not need one , since the Lighting LS218 motorcycle doesn't..... 0 to 218 mph direct drive but there is no reverse .
But given most motorists are used to having one, and it might Never even been in an electric super car

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I assume it would technically not need one , since the Lighting LS218 motorcycle doesn't..... 0 to 218 mph direct drive but there is no reverse .
But given most motorists are used to having one, and it might Never even been in an electric super car
I don't think it matters much. CVT transmissions are more common nowadays.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Humanist

Fisker claims to be working on some pretty radical stuff regarding "solid state" batteries:

https://electrek.co/2017/11/14/fiske...electric-cars/

Quote:
“Fisker’s solid-state batteries will feature three-dimensional electrodes with 2.5 times the energy density of lithium-ion batteries. Fisker claims that this technology will enable ranges of more than 500 miles on a single charge and charging times as low as one minute—faster than filling up a gas tank.”

Yes, this would indeed work for me.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:

CVT transmission is redundant. [emoji13]
Old 11-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Does anyone here have a quarter of a million to spend on a car of any type? Since he hasn't actually produced them yet, there's a better than even chance that even that price is a guess on the low side.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Didn't say it mattered, I said I was curious

I should have used better terminology " multi gear ratio" vs single gear ratio"
Most CVT's still have a noticeable change in RPM as they go thru gear ratios .

Here is waht I was referring to this electric motor cycle goes from 0 to 218 in one gear , the RPM's just keeps a constant increase

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-18-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Does anyone here have a quarter of a million to spend on a car of any type? Since he hasn't actually produced them yet, there's a better than even chance that even that price is a guess on the low side.
Well I certainly would not spend a whole month's income on one

But seriously not the point of the thread, the point is the fairly rapid advance in tech, which will filter down to much more affordable vehicles and probably quickly.
2 years ago you could not buy an OLED tv for less than maybe $5k or more, now you can get one for $1550

And let's be honest here.... glass 1/2 empty is not one iota more objective, realistic or valid than glass 1/2 full, the only real difference is viewing angle

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-18-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Well I certainly would not spend a whole month's income on one

But seriously not the point of the thread, the point is the fairly rapid advance in tech, which will filter down to much more affordable vehicles probably fairly quickly.
2 years ago you could not buy an OLED tv for less than maybe $5k or more, now you can get one for $1550
Yes. I see it as more data points on where things might go.

Not as exciting as Tesla, but if you read new you might have caught Cummins has been at the electric truck, and the scale of where GM is with Bolt sales.

For while I've wondered if Tesla might end up as one of those brands we all knew but died. First it was over QC stuff owners I know had. A year ago we did a family trip to Henry Ford museum and did the F150 plant tour. That was a reminder of earlier electric cars, steam cars, and manufacturing prowess. The Ford test facility is between the two. It all reminded me of how others - not Tesla have so much experience making stuff. They also have distribution and warranty rather buffed and polished.

I don't mean it as a knock against Tesla but upon reading about Cummins, I thought they and other truck makers sure have a lot of experience making and servicing really good stuff and already have a network taking care of the owners. Carrying that idea farther, I'm already seeing Chevy Bolts in what Elon Musk probably considers flyover country. There's been news of Tesla having labor issues other car makers probably know how to handle pretty well or have solved.

IMO Tesla's challenge isn't these neat concepts. It's manufacturing and delivering something my family might buy.

Now forget manufacturing. We live in a neighborhood with homes most would call the nice side of middle or upper middle class. It's probably more high end by location, education or profession than wealth. A whole lot of us are happy with and not spending a penny more than mid-trim Hondas, Subarus and Toyotas even though we all have BMW or Cadillac houses. It looks like Chevrolet and Nissan already have cars for us to buy today. Tesla?

Who remembers the Pulsar watch? Wasn't the Motorola phone in that spot? Palm, Blackberry? Seems to me Tesla has to get manufacturing, distribution, customer care and pricing buffed and polished before that sports car.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Yes. I see it as more data points on where things might go.

Not as exciting as Tesla, but if you read new you might have caught Cummins has been at the electric truck, and the scale of where GM is with Bolt sales.

For while I've wondered if Tesla might end up as one of those brands we all knew but died. First it was over QC stuff owners I know had. A year ago we did a family trip to Henry Ford museum and did the F150 plant tour. That was a reminder of earlier electric cars, steam cars, and manufacturing prowess. The Ford test facility is between the two. It all reminded me of how others - not Tesla have so much experience making stuff. They also have distribution and warranty rather buffed and polished.

I don't mean it as a knock against Tesla but upon reading about Cummins, I thought they and other truck makers sure have a lot of experience making and servicing really good stuff and already have a network taking care of the owners. Carrying that idea farther, I'm already seeing Chevy Bolts in what Elon Musk probably considers flyover country. There's been news of Tesla having labor issues other car makers probably know how to handle pretty well or have solved.

IMO Tesla's challenge isn't these neat concepts. It's manufacturing and delivering something my family might buy.

Now forget manufacturing. We live in a neighborhood with homes most would call the nice side of middle or upper middle class. It's probably more high end by location, education or profession than wealth. A whole lot of us are happy with and not spending a penny more than mid-trim Hondas, Subarus and Toyotas even though we all have BMW or Cadillac houses. It looks like Chevrolet and Nissan already have cars for us to buy today. Tesla?

Who remembers the Pulsar watch? Wasn't the Motorola phone in that spot? Palm, Blackberry? Seems to me Tesla has to get manufacturing, distribution, customer care and pricing buffed and polished before that sports car.
No question Tesla has a a big road to travel And I am by no means a fanboy. But I do admire his forward vision. And I definitely hope his solar roof tech gets going and or gets others into it big time .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM

Tesla is a niche company, they’re not interested in building affordable cars, they already have their clientele and it’s going to stay that way. They’re the market innovators of alternative energy, they made the electric car cool, and now they’re on their way to make PV solar panels obsolete. Just because they can’t make a car you and me can afford, doesn’t mean they’re doomed in the long run. If that was the case, smaller exotic car companies like Pagani and Koenigsegg would’ve folded under the already established Ferrari and Lamborghini, but they’re still here because they have their clientele and they keep on innovating. And those companies don’t make cars for less than half a million bucks, with their flagship cars well into the six digits. Tesla is here to stay.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
No question Tesla has a a big road to travel And I am by no means a fanboy. But I do admire his forward vision. And I definitely hope his solar roof tech gets going and or gets others into it big time .
Absolutely.

The roofing product came available just after we spent a fair percentage of the cost on a conventional roof. I don't know if their designs would work so well on our style house or what the actual cost would be vs the web site estimator. The roofing product is REALLY one where v 2.0 will capture my interest.

Following his other ideas and products or ventures I've also thought the cars as products that will get people to think of or know the brand. I'm sure most of the country doesn't read all the papers and magazines we read but they notice a sexy car. Quite a few I know have had no idea he's done anything but cars.

It will be remarkable - truly impressive - if the company can do a good job with the manufacturing, distribution and post-sales.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Fisker claims to be working on some pretty radical stuff regarding "solid state" batteries:

https://electrek.co/2017/11/14/fiske...electric-cars/

Yes, this would indeed work for me.
Let's hope it pans out. But seeing as there's nothing to judge by but some unbelievable numbers, I'm not holding my breath. As Robert Murray-Smith says, there are three kinds of people... good people, bad people, and battery people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFDSoWj37pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The top of the line car makers like Koenigsegg and Bugatti are charging several million these days, yet this roadster will wipe the floor with them in terms of acceleration (0-60 in 1.9 seconds versus 2.4 for Chiron). Not sure how it will compete above 200MPH, but I doubt they'll have trouble finding customers. And besides, judging by its use of model 3 motors and roof style, its real purpose is to sell more model 3's.

The truck is perhaps the most important of the bunch though, since big corporations can actually afford it, and there are so many trucks on the highways billowing out nasty smoke all the time. And remember, Elon's real goal is not to dominate the electric market, but to trick all the other companies into making electrics to compete with him

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic