The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 AM

That looks like a fun ride. I'm 65 and still riding motorcycles without any age-related issues; and still loving it. But I've eyeballed those Slingshots - I'd definitely consider getting one if my motorcycle situation should change.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:07 AM

I had a small motorcycle in high school and college, and if I had kept riding all these years, a new motorcycle might have been a better idea. (I have a friend who has a nice one he'd love to sell me at a great price, and he's coming for a Slingshot ride with me tomorrow.) But once I let go of the idea that the Slingshot is somehow a substitute for a motorcycle, it suddenly became a lot more attractive and fun. The only things it has in common with a motorcycle is its breezy, open cockpit and relatively quick get up and go. Oh, and the helmet.

But it is still FUN! Only when leaning your hardest around a curve on a motorcycle is your head as close to the pavement as it is every time you sit down in a Slingshot. Okay, that's a silly statement, I know, 'cause it's two very different things. To me, the difference between a motorcycle and a Slingshot is even wider than that between an acoustic and an electric guitar, but that doesn't mean that both are not fun.

Something unexpected: a beautiful college girl made me promise to take her for a Slingshot ride the next time I get a haircut. (Nothing sexually inappropriate here, folks, so don't even go there.) As soon as she said it, two other ladies wanted to go, too. I know it's the Slingshot and not my handsome face, but still it's been a while since I've had that kind of request.

cotten
Old 11-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Ex co-worker had one a couple years back. I drove it to lunch a few times, rode shotgun a few more and that was my limit. Motorcycle is so much more fun. I know he bought it for the wow-factor and it certainly does turns heads. I think I'd have liked it more if there was more creature comfort. The floorboard has sparse legroom and the seats...well...a buckboard comes to mind. When I drove it I put my left leg outside after shifting through the gears, and right leg out when riding shotgun. It had tracking (alignment) problems that the dealer couldn't make right. We corrected that ourselves by making a couple jigs for laser-truing of the wheels. Despite my conservative opinion he was bat-crap crazy about it. I designed a hardtop for it with attach brackets but I don't know if he fabricated any of it. After getting soaked a couple times by cloud bursts coming back from lunch he wanted to make it better suited to traveling distances in. He quit and I lost touch with him.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Needless to say, Pitar, your experience in a Slingshot a few years ago was 180 degrees opposite mine today, at every point you make. They've only been out a few years, so I suspect your friend's Slingshot was one of their earliest examples. They've made lots of progress since then. I will let it go at that, except to wonder aloud if any motorcycle riders ever get rained on, too...

I've had one friend complain that a Slingshot was nothing like his Ducati, and another quipped that it was nothing like his Honda S2000. I'm too polite to have replied, Well, Duh! But that's what I was thinking. It's a different kind of driving/riding experience. I understand if someone prefers motorcycles, or sports cars, skateboards or wakeboards. Most folks seem to be able to allow others to enjoy whatever they like. A few seem compelled to try to prove them wrong.

cotten
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Just as with certain fringe guitars (composites come to mind...which are great), the Slingshot has a totally legitimate place and niche among so many motorized vehicles, despite the number of and configuration of the wheels. So many options are great to allow everyone to play and have fun in their own way.

Regarding the ladies...you go, John!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic