The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I use a Boss LS-2 to cycle through the 3 inputs. To handle the different gains & EQ, I use a Danelectro Fish & Chips 7-band EQ in front of the ABY or ABC/Y switcher.
Joegaum, I have a question about the Boss LS-2... Could I plug a stereo pickup guitar into the A/B return inputs, and a different guitar into the normal input, and then use the A+B mix or bypass knob setting to blend A and B into the output if I leave the A and B output sends empty? This little box looks pretty useful for a lot of applications.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
That sounds great, thanks! I built a small box a while ago with six inputs and six muting footswitches, so I can mute at my feet. I have a small Yamaha mixer (MG82cx) that I use at home to practice so I'll experiment with that for the short term.

That ZED 10FX looks like a great little mixer!

For what its worth, harbor freight (I know, I know) sells a little locking carry case with foam inserts for $25 that works well for these ubiquitous mini-mixers. I have three of the cases and I like them for keeping the dust off around the house.

I was looking for a cheap box for some studio accessories! Thanks I have a Harbor Freight right by me!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Joegaum, I have a question about the Boss LS-2... Could I plug a stereo pickup guitar into the A/B return inputs, and a different guitar into the normal input, and then use the A+B mix or bypass knob setting to blend A and B into the output if I leave the A and B output sends empty? This little box looks pretty useful for a lot of applications.

Yes, you have it correct. Using the mix mode, you can have both pans of your stereo signal and mix them using the respective levels.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I play in a three piece acoustic band. I also switch instruments a lot. I'm struggling to find a system / strategy / approach where I can easily switch between instruments without having to futz with multiple settings. Do any of you have a favored strategy for switching instruments frequently during a live performance?

My ideal system will let me set independent gain for as many as five different instruments and not have to mess with the knobs for the rest of the night. I would also like to have effects (or an effects loop) that would work for all instruments. Finally, the system has to integrate with a variety of house mixers and/or the pre-existing band PA when we have to do our own sound.

Here's a list of what I'm dealing with...

I play two different tenor guitars (Blueridge and Gold Tone) in different tunings. Both have stereo pickups (single coil GFS mag pickup and k&k-style sound board transducers). I run both through an external homebuilt JFET preamp that combines the signal and lets me set gain on each. It works but its not "robust" and there is no bells and whistles like eq, etc.

I play two different six string guitars. One is a Seagull grand parlor with under saddle transducer with built in preamp. The other is a Recording King RP-06 that currently has a generic single coil pickup (from GFS) but will get a Baggs M1A by the end of the week (its been ordered).

I play a tenor banjo (Deering) that has a dual rail humbucker mounted to the coordinator rod. No preamp.

I sometimes play a ukulele with under saddle transducer and a built in preamp. (Ibanez)

The bottom line is that each pickup requires different gain settings, and most places I play the house mixer can't accommodate all of my instruments on different channels plus other band members instruments and our vocal mics.

The places we play get too noisy to just set up a mic in front of me and do it that way.

I am sorely tempted to get a mixer that I can keep near me so that I can set the gain and eq each instrument independently and just run one line to the house board. But I hear from some that sub mixing is not a good idea.

Any thoughts? Other than stick to one instrument?
Find a Rane MAP-33 which has 3 channels (good luck finding one), or a small Yamaha Mixer like the one I own, an MG102C. It has everything you'd need to send a feed to the mains.

Mine sits on the speaker stand next to where I sit.

HE
Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Yes, you have it correct. Using the mix mode, you can have both pans of your stereo signal and mix them using the respective levels.
Thanks Joe! I'm going to pick one of those boxes up. Sounds pretty useful for a lot of what I do.. not just in the acoustic band.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Find a Rane MAP-33 which has 3 channels (good luck finding one), or a small Yamaha Mixer like the one I own, an MG102C. It has everything you'd need to send a feed to the mains.

Mine sits on the speaker stand next to where I sit.

HE
Thanks Howard, I have a Yammie MG-82cx, I have some time to mess around today at home so I'm going to play around with that today, using it as a submixer.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 AM

Check out the Source Audio EQ - it has 4 or 5 presets where you can save different EQ and volume levels for different instruments or pickups

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification