The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Musicians On Call

What's the deal? They must spend a Million bucks on advertising hitting you up for money. I wish I could afford radio ad's. A budget for a few ads an hour kinda sours me on my pledge. Am I off base? How about you folks?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
What's the deal? They must spend a Million bucks on advertising hitting you up for money. I wish I could afford radio ad's. A budget for a few ads an hour kinda sours me on my pledge. Am I off base? How about you folks?
Yep, my first impression was "another legal scam." It requires NO mother organization for volunteer musicians to be able to go to a hospital or assisted living home and play music for the needing. Yet someone is getting paid, just not the *real* service provider, apparently.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Never heard of 'em.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I've got admit, I've never heard of them either. What exactly is it?

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM

I have no idea what ya'll are talking about...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I have no idea what ya'll are talking about...
The organization is named "Musicians On Call" per the original post. They have radio commercials where they ask for donations after describing how important it is for VOLUNTEER musicians to enter facilities to play one-on-one music for patients, residents, etc. I encourage anyone to play for shut-ins one-on-one, but please bypass "Musicians On Call."
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

They run radio commercials in the Pittsburgh Market. I'm not kidding, sometime 4 an hour. On a number of stations.
The ad is a British sounding fellow talking about playing guitar for a guy that had been slammed with Cancer. It goes on how he brought him some temporary piece of mind......SEND MONEY.
Do they then pay the musicians? Doesn't say. I know they have a huge advertising budget though.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
The organization is named "Musicians On Call" per the original post. They have radio commercials where they ask for donations after describing how important it is for VOLUNTEER musicians to enter facilities to play one-on-one music for patients, residents, etc. I encourage anyone to play for shut-ins one-on-one, but please bypass "Musicians On Call."
Roger that, Frank. My brother-in-law plays old west trail songs for nursing homes and its the most rewarding thing he has ever done. We should ALL be doing this.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM

They play a lot of their ads on the radio station out of Omaha, NE that I listen to.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Tulsa View Post
Roger that, Frank. My brother-in-law plays old west trail songs for nursing homes and its the most rewarding thing he has ever done. We should ALL be doing this.
That sounds very cool.

You're right.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM

They might be getting free air time under the guise of a public service announcment.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Musicians On Call

I've done some work with Musicians On Call in NY and it's a great nonprofit! The organization was lucky enough to be named the official charity by Clear Channel Radio for the first quarter of 2011. That means that all those Public Service Announcements you're hearing were donated by Clear Channel Radio.

The folks over at Musicians On Call are really cool and extremely dedicated to bringing live music to patients' bedsides. If you have any questions, I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Default Heeelp

Line 6 Spider Jam Amp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi , can anyone tell me if they have had experiece with the Line 6 SPIDER Jam 75W amplifier. It sounds very interesting in the blurb with its various preset sounds and rythms ect... just wondering if it would suit both electric and acoustic ? and just how it sounds at low volumes for home practice ,not sure if it has calibrated or display tempo settings ,certainly has tap tempos but sometimes these can be hard to replicate. also i dont seem to be able to find info on the weight of this beast on the net, if i lived close to a retailer i wouldnt have to ask all these questions but i guess thats what the net is for Regards Ken.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Default MOC PSAs

Hey all - The radio ads you have been hearing were donated from Clear Channel as apart of their National Community Engagement Campaign. The goal of the ads was to raise awareness and funds for Musicians On Call programs. MOC was fortunate to receive these ads at no cost to the organization. Check out our website to see how you can get involved and learn more about the organization. www.musiciansoncall.org
Old 03-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PManela View Post
I've done some work with Musicians On Call in NY and it's a great nonprofit! The organization was lucky enough to be named the official charity by Clear Channel Radio for the first quarter of 2011. That means that all those Public Service Announcements you're hearing were donated by Clear Channel Radio.

The folks over at Musicians On Call are really cool and extremely dedicated to bringing live music to patients' bedsides. If you have any questions, I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you.
Interesting first post on AFG. Musicians On Call is 1. A great non-profit 2. Lucky 3. Really Cool.

The website reports they they are a 501(C) nonprofit, which means some financials (board salaries?) or IRS report should be publicly available. The available "downloadable" financial report is linked to a fee subscription service, so I'll just try snail mail to NY Attorney General. (Address given on website.)

According to website, their volunteer music programs are available in Pittsburgh, Nashville, Philly, and New York. I've heard lotsa radio ads asking for donations here in Midwest.

Again, with a little bit of tact, any eager one-on-one musician can go to almost any hospital or care facility during visiting hours, and ask any available RN how to proceed with your goal. The RN (or whomever) may refer you to someone else to talk to first. There's no limit to how welcome you can become there, and that without a 501(c) arranging your visit, (apparently comes also with an additional MOC-trained volunteer guide to guide the musican!) Anyhow, once you know *someone* in the hospital or care facility, you will probably be regarded as legitimate as any any 501(c) could make you.

PS. The "day room" is sometimes good place to meet residents, but there will be competition with the TV, so probably don't pull out guitar there, without prearranging.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic