The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Martin or Gibson $1000, $1500, $2000 or $3000

Even though I'm not really good, I'm ready to invest in a really good guitar. I've been playing a hand-me-down Kaman Applause for decades - my poor fingers need a break.

My skill level: I can sing and play lots of fun songs pretty good with a pretty wide variety of chords, some even complex. I mostly strum, with or without a pick, and can adapt to a range of different rhythms and can finger pick only a little. When I say I can play a guitar, I mean I can play well enough that others can enjoy it and sing a long in a campfire type of setting or playing Christmas carols, or at a youth group. Mostly basic stuff like that.

My question is this: At what price point does the increase in playability & sound begin to taper YET the price keeps going up? In other words at what stage in price do we begin to see diminishing returns?

My budget is between 1K and 3K but I really don't want to go over 2K and don't want to overspend my skill level by too too far. Granted at my skill level I should probably be fine with a $500 guitar, but lets just say I want it to be nicer than that.

Can you guys give me some advice on this? Think of me as wanting to spoil myself a little without everyone saying to themselves - that guy's an idiot for paying that much when he sucks so bad LOL Not that I really care what they think

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:29 PM

do you have a guitar center around you? try some out

for a treat and all arounder - taylor makes good stuff too

maybe narrow it down to a few models specifically and the guys here can choose between them
Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc3 View Post
do you have a guitar center around you? try some out

for a treat and all arounder - taylor makes good stuff too

maybe narrow it down to a few models specifically and the guys here can choose between them
yes, I've been visiting the guitar center looking and testing. I guess I was just wondering if there is a sweet-spot on price where you achieve the best of both worlds in quality and economy. Or is there no such calculation possible?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:38 PM

if you do a good setup you can make almost any guitar play really good.

just because you get a more expensive guitar, don't mean it will play better.

I suggest find a guitar that you like and have it setup to suit your needs

hope this helps

Dave
Old 08-21-2016, 05:39 PM

If you're in the US that budget is going to buy a fine guitar.
Go out and play as many as you can, all the brands, all the different sizes, you'll know when you find one that you can't put down.

Don't worry about your skill level because here's the thing about owning a really good guitar, it will make the things you play sound good and you'll want to play it all the time and the more you play it the better you become.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-21-2016, 05:40 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect for every individual person there's probably a point of diminishing returns, but only you can decide where that point is for you.

Enjoy the search.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:41 PM

Don't be afraid of a used guitar. There are some great deals out there, especially on this forum...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
My question is this: At what price point does the increase in playability & sound begin to taper YET the price keeps going up? In other words at what stage in price do we begin to see diminishing returns?
This is subjective, but there's no magical, set price point where it starts becoming diminishing returns, if that's what you mean. Best thing to do is go to a bunch of shops and play a bunch of guitars and determine where the price point of quality, sound and bling are valuable to you and what you are comfortable with and/or willing to shell out for. We all have different thoughts on this. Personally I don't like a lot of 'bling' on my guitars, and would rather have less appointments and flashy trim and more emphasis on quality of materials and craftsmanship. The guitars I own are a Martin HD-28, Martin 000-15m, Gibson AJ and a Gibson J45 Standard. The only one of the lot that could be called somewhat flashy is the AJ because if it's inlays. All of those guitars can easily be found within the $1,000-$3,000 range new/used, depending on which guitar you're talking about. I don't get caught up in boutique makers, don't nit-pick specs, lose sleep over which tone woods are better, etc. I just pick up a guitar and if it feels and sounds the way I like then I like it. If it doesn't sound like I like to hear or feels strange, then regardless of what's on the headstock, it goes back on the rack. Others are more picky, and absolutely must have to have very specific specs on their instruments. To each his/her own.

Quote:
My budget is between 1K and 3K but I really don't want to go over 2K and don't want to overspend my skill level by too too far. Granted at my skill level I should probably be fine with a $500 guitar, but lets just say I want it to be nicer than that.
You can get a really nice guitar for $2k. New J45's and D28's can be had for around and slightly under $2k, and can be found used all day long for well under that. Again, your best bet is to just go out and play as many different guitars from as many different makers as you can and find out what you like. Just because a guitar cost a bunch, doesn't automatically make it the one for you, and lord knows that expensive guitars don't mean that they are automatically something special. I scratch my head in awe at all the guys here who throw (what I would consider) huge amounts of money at acoustic guitars, custom made guitars, boutique acoustics, etc. and start thread about how they don't like this or that about it, and how they will continue on their quest for "the one", and in reality most probably can't even play that well, so don't think that you should only spend what you think your playing ability commands, and that's definitely not how many here think! I'd bet that most of the snobs and "collectors" in these parts who own crazy high dollar guitars never get as much as a smudge on their guitars, and never take them out of the house, yet nit-pick their tone and complain that they aren't what they are looking for can't do these high dollar guitars justice (while there are also many who really can play as well), so I wouldn't lose sleep over worrying about deciding how much to spend based on your ability (or lack thereof).

So just spend what you are comfortable with and have allotted and don't think that you don't deserve a nice guitar simply because you're not as good as you want to be. Also know that for what you say you're willing to spend you can get an incredible guitar that will be a top notch, professional quality instrument that could last you a lifetime and be suitable for many professional musicians. Buy what calls out to you and has the sound and feel your looking for.

Last edited by J45HD28; 08-21-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I think 2 to 3k will get you a great guitar. Sometimes less will also.... Martin D16gt, Martin 15 series, Taylor 300 series, Gibson J15 or J35. Take your time play as many as you can. You can buy a $3,000 guitar and grow into it. At that price point I'm more comfortable buying a guitar from a store, taking home one that I played.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
yes, I've been visiting the guitar center looking and testing. I guess I was just wondering if there is a sweet-spot on price where you achieve the best of both worlds in quality and economy. Or is there no such calculation possible?
You're being way to practical and analytical for something that is a very emotional and personal purchase. Don't overthink it and you'll pretty much know when you find what you're looking for. If you've been going to shops and playing as many guitars as you can and haven't had one that speaks to you, then you have to go out and play more guitars at other shops, plain and simple.

Everyones "sweet spot" as you put it regarding quality and economy is different, and these exist at different price points. I think the Yamaha FG series are an incredible value of craftsmanship and tone for what they cost and for some that's all the guitar they will ever need. Others may only be satisfied with a $9,000 custom guitar made just for them. See where I'm going with this?

I'd be worrying less about getting the whole price vs. quality dilemma and spend more time and effort toward figuring out what you like as far as body shape and sound. Do you like dreds or do you like smaller body guitars, etc. and go forward from there.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 PM

I would pick out a couple I liked the feel of and then look for that model used, and try it out. More "bang for your buck" if you buy used.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:28 PM

I can't comment on Gibson, but I can comment on Martin.

First of all the 16 series Martins are an exceptional value. A lot of guitar for the money. Something like the 000-16 GT. I previously owned a 00016 SRGT (slot head 12 fret) which was exceptional. That was the guitar I went to once I "moved up" from a beginner instrument. Then, I moved up to a Martin 00-18V custom (My Favorite Guitars). That would be in your range, but the standard 00-18 or 000-18 are going to be well within your price range as well. I am not a dred guy, in fact the 00 is the largest guitar in my stable at present. However my 00 and 000 have been excellent for both strumming and fingerstyle. I also have played one of the Smartwood OM's which was good and then the 15 series is a great buy, but you might not want to go with all mahogany unless you play it (I do have an 0-15 12 fret custom as well)

Good luck with your search.

Jon
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM

Default Martin or Gibson $1000, $1500, $2000 or $3000

Last time I was in GC, the Gibson J15 stood out to me. It can be had for a little over $1K.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:47 PM

One other tidbit of advice...you obviously have to stick to/limited to the budget you have set. But with that said, don't buy a particular guitar simply because it's within your budget if you end up finding something that absolutely, 100% speaks to you, but costs a little more. (I'm not talking about having a $2k budget and settling on a $10k guitar!) What I mean is if the price difference is say $200 over your budget, but this is THE guitar that you must have, I'd recommend finding a way to make it happen. Price paid, or a perceived "value" upfront will definitely have significant diminishing returns down the line when the honeymoon period is over and you're still dreaming about that "one" that you should have originally shelled out for!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:55 PM

The more important question is if you spend $3000 on one guitar is that really sensible. If that guitar is the everything instrument for you, then fine.
Most folks I know want more than one "type", whether it's body size,
Tone woods, style of playing, looks, and so on.
I found a great new Larrivee Custom L03 for $1200 and I have a Taylor 114e at $600. Both are great guitars in their own right and right now, I'm looking for a dreadnought of some sort. At the end of it all, I will have three different nice guitars for the amount you are willing to spend on one.
I just can't see myself with one $3000 guitar but maybe that will work for you.
If you are still in the early stage of learning the instrument, your tastes may change in a little while when you find your guitar self and your style as well as what you like to play. It may or may not be that $3000 guitar.
Just a thought.
On the other hand, you can always save up and buy another $3000 guitar later.

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-21-2016 at 07:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion