The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Which Dremmel tool?

Which Dremmel tool can you recommend? I spent a lifetime in construction and have had many tools, but never had much use for a Dremmel except occasional lock set modifications. The one I own just feels cheap, although it has been working ok. I would like to upgrade to one from this millinium .

Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I have a Dremel 4000 that I am very happy with.

The only thing I dont like is the mounting mechanism for attachments is kinda imprecise.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

The one I have is a model 395 type 1. Yours sounds like the "Binford 5K" upgrade. The main complaint I have is the threaded end for mounting my Stewmac router base. Doesn't feel very tight. I also had to add a 3/16" wood base extension to zero out the depth of cut. It is variable speed which I like. Seems many use this system without modification.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Which Dremmel tool can you recommend?
Recommend for what purpose?

The only thing guitar-making-related that I use one for is inlay work. I find it grossly underpowered and too light-weight for any other task. Others, of course, use them for many things, sometimes with mixed results.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 AM

Default Dremel tools

I've owned and used a series of these over a 40-year period. I found them imprecise, weak in torque, overheat when used for long periods, and have sloppy runout making then problematic for precise work. For me. My opinion. I wore one out in one afternoon installing a car radio in an old Volvo. But they have a lot of uses, really convenient ones, just not a tool I'd be using as a router. You can get real trim routers for less than premium Dremels that do that job a whole lot better for a whole lot longer. For example, Grizzly sells one.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I do understand the limitations of a Dremel. In fact I did get the Grizzly trim router early on for my first build. I've used the Dremel for rosette cutting with the Stewmac circle cutting base as mentioned earlier. I go slow and haven't had a glitch yet. But it feels on the verge, imprecise. Cheap. I have also made a jig I found on this site to cut fret tangs for bound fretboards. Again, marginal. I was hoping there had been an improvement over time other than cosmetic. Or a possible substitute.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 AM

I use a Foredom with a flexible shaft and the SM precision base and a variable speed pedal. Fantastic tool that does everything I want it to.

"Old School Tone... Down to the Bone"
Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 AM

I made my own circle cutting jig for my Dewalt trim router and use it for rosettes. I've gradually acquired a number of trim routers and just leave them set up for particular tasks. One is permanently mounted in my binding cutter jig, one left in the circle cutter, one left free for odds and ends. I only use my dremel for inlay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair