The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

From the pictures it looks wonderful. Congratulations!! Those blonde Gibsons look spectacular.

Forgive my 2¢.

I'd be very careful about "restoration". Personally I'd make it playable,.. get the action right and clean the potentiometers if necessary and stop. Don't let anyone touch the finish, I'm not sure I'd dust the guitar.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:47 PM

I sure hope you paid with Pay-Pal. I think that guitars is worth significantly more than $1600.00. One other thing, seller has 0 Feedback.
Buyer Beware.

http://www.frettedamericana.com/prod...ibson-es-350-0

Dan
Old 10-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I sure hope you paid with Pay-Pal. I think that guitars is worth significantly more than $1600.00. One other thing, seller has 0 Feedback.
Buyer Beware.

http://www.frettedamericana.com/prod...ibson-es-350-0

Dan
Yep, PayPal. I'm not worried, I'm covered. It's a 1951 though not a '56 as advertised.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Looks like it could be a good deal, but given that the seller has no feedback, and just joined, be sure to fund your Paypal payment by a credit card in case it's not as described. FYI, if the seller closes their account after receiving your payment, Paypal might decide not to refund you, at which point you will need to file a CC chargeback.
I called PayPal and talked with a gal about the ad and "it not being as described" she said I have nothing to worry about and that I'm covered. We'll see....
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-23-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Were any PAF PUs used on archtops or just Les Pauls?
TMK the PAF humbuckers were introduced on the ES-175 around the beginning of 1957, with the Les Paul goldtop and Custom following suit by July; with the introduction of the semi-hollow ES-335/345/355 in 1958 all mid- to upper-line archtop electrics, as well as the Les Paul Standard/Custom, would be equipped with PAF's except by special order...
Old 10-23-2016, 05:31 PM

I'm torn on this because part of me leans towards the "am I taking advantage of this person?", but sometimes buying from someone who doesn't know about what they are selling results in a very happy outcome for the buyer.

"Top strings are torn"... I'd have rolled the dice if I was even remotely in the market. I definitely would not have asked questions either.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:12 PM

A too good to be true deal...seller has Zero feedback and only joined Ebay 2 days ago! Sorry but this screams scam.

I've been buying on Ebay for over fifteen years and I learned when you see zero feedback and a brand new seller...move on.

I really wish you luck but odds are more in favor of this being some sort of scam. I would ask for direct contact info from seller (phone number and talk to them in person). Get scoop on why just joined Ebay and why selling guitar. Pay ONLY via PayPal and ONLY if PayPal offers protection for this purchase...trust me. At the FIRST sign of something out of the ordinary I would bail on the sale.
"I steer my Bark with hope in the head and fear to the stern"...Thomas Jefferson...right before becoming penniless building the Jefferson Library.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Well, here's something new and a bit depressing; here's the letter I got from the eBay seller today AFTER she Cancelled the deal and refunded my money;

"Good Morning,

Thanks so much for purchasing the guitar however, I'm so sorry that I cancelled your purchase. I was doing this for my grandmother and had no idea on how to list this. Some people were in-boxing me saying that I was a scammer because I priced it too low so I relisted it and cancelled your purchase. I didn't know it was 'valuable'. Once again my apologies.

Regards,

Stephanie P.."

So, looks like I'm screwed after all. I've contacted eBay since she cancelled the deal based on " We're sorry to let you know that sps26_1980-2 canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or the item is damaged." Yet, the gal tells me through PayPal email, she cancelled it because she's been told it's worth more. I've also sent a letter to eBay's Corporate Counsel at the suggestion of one of their Dispute Reps. Any lawyers here want to take a quick case?
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I called PayPal and talked with a gal about the ad and "it not being as described" she said I have nothing to worry about and that I'm covered. We'll see....
I bought a Gibson SG on eBay for my personal collection a few years ago, and shortly after I paid, the seller told me plain and simple that he will not be sending me the guitar, and he will not be refunding me as he needs the money. I reported it to Paypal, but they told me the account has been closed, so they cannot refund me. If not for filing a chargeback, I would have been out of luck.

Quote:
Well, here's something new and a bit depressing; here's the letter I got from the eBay seller today AFTER she Cancelled the deal and refunded my money;

"Good Morning,

Thanks so much for purchasing the guitar however, I'm so sorry that I cancelled your purchase. I was doing this for my grandmother and had no idea on how to list this. Some people were in-boxing me saying that I was a scammer because I priced it too low so I relisted it and cancelled your purchase. I didn't know it was 'valuable'. Once again my apologies.

Regards,

Stephanie P.."

So, looks like I'm screwed after all. I've contacted eBay since she cancelled the deal based on " We're sorry to let you know that sps26_1980-2 canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or the item is damaged." Yet, the gal tells me through PayPal email, she cancelled it because she's been told it's worth more. I've also sent a letter to eBay's Corporate Counsel at the suggestion of one of their Dispute Reps. Any lawyers here want to take a quick case?
Sorry to hear this, sounds like someone contacted the seller after the sale, maybe even someone who read your post here. Nothing you can do about it, and eBay certainly can't force them to sell. Good news is you were refunded in full.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I bought a Gibson SG on eBay for my personal collection a few years ago, and shortly after I paid, the seller told me plain and simple that he will not be sending me the guitar, and he will not be refunding me as he needs the money. I reported it to Paypal, but they told me the account has been closed, so they cannot refund me. If not for filing a chargeback, I would have been out of luck.

Sorry to hear this, sounds like someone contacted the seller after the sale, maybe even someone who read your post here. Nothing you can do about it, and eBay certainly can't force them to sell. Good news is you were refunded in full.
I didn't force them to do anything. They put something up for sale, sold it, were paid for it and afterwards decided it was worth more money. They didn't fulfill part of a binding contract. We'll see, nothing ventured nothing gained. I have a lawyer buddy who's already filing an injunction so she can't sell the guitar to anyone else. eBay's contract is pretty binding, especially with her reasoning for breaking it. I thought about it being somebody from here too, let's hope not.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 PM

Ah you didn't want that anyway, I mean the top strings were all torn.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Ah you didn't want that anyway, I mean the top strings were all torn.
Actually, I was kind of anxious to see what they meant by that.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 AM

First, I can't believe you found a phone number, let alone you spoke to a real human being from eBay. Second it was relisted and resold? For not much more than the original listing?

I've been an eBay member since it's inception, and now I rarely visit. As a former Charvel Strat-head collector there were so many back-doors and sniping - even among so-called "bros" on the Charvel forum. One of the reasons I stopped collecting them. Newbie collectors that think they know every single detail of a particular model. There are also people that would contact the seller to inform them they could get more, even just to spite the "lucky" winning bidder. Yes there are trolls on eBay. I don't think eBay will make any attempt to "compel" the seller other than cancel her account and ban her, regardless how "binding" you think the contract is. I've seen many an eBay nightmare, though I managed a 100% rating myself.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
First, I can't believe you found a phone number, let alone you spoke to a real human being from eBay. Second it was relisted and resold? For not much more than the original listing?

I've been an eBay member since it's inception, and now I rarely visit. As a former Charvel Strat-head collector there were so many back-doors and sniping - even among so-called "bros" on the Charvel forum. One of the reasons I stopped collecting them. Newbie collectors that think they know every single detail of a particular model. There are also people that would contact the seller to inform them they could get more, even just to spite the "lucky" winning bidder. Yes there are trolls on eBay. I don't think eBay will make any attempt to "compel" the seller other than cancel her account and ban her, regardless how "binding" you think the contract is. I've seen many an eBay nightmare, though I managed a 100% rating myself.
Yes, she relisted the guitar for twice the money with a BIN. I called eBay, told them and sent them the email she sent me through PayPal and they had the auction stopped. She can't sell the guitar or anything else on eBay till she sends me the guitar. Giving her another hour this morning before I file with the CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS. She's toast.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Yes, she relisted the guitar for twice the money with a BIN. I called eBay, told them and sent them the email she sent me through PayPal and they had the auction stopped. She can't sell the guitar or anything else on eBay till she sends me the guitar. Giving her another hour this morning before I file with the CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS. She's toast.
I just think she honestly didn't understand how eBay worked... and if she did shenever would havelisted the guitar. This has happened to me before, but I treat these things now as a learning opportunity. Yes, fair is fair and a deal is a deal, but are we really that desperate to obtain guitars and go to great lengths to ruin people's lives that probably don't deserve it, especially when we're basically trying to steal it away because of the seller's ignorance?

To me it's such bad karma that it's one of the reasons I stopped looking through eBay.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars