The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
I clicked on where you had made a link as "try this" in your earlier post. Right clicked on the image and went to View Image to make sure I was at the source URL for it. Then copied that URL. Back here, did Post Reply, clicked on the Insert Image icon above the text box, which asked for the image URL that I duly copied in.
That's exactly what I did. I didn't see the image in the preview, but the FAQ said we might not see it there. I added that "insert link" backup in case it didn't show up there.

I just did what you did - right clicked the picture, chose "copy image location" (Firefox) - and find the URL you got from my picture is different from the one Google Photos gave me. (I sent it to my wife to verify she could see it, and have it in sent mail).

Which makes it a weird Google thing, I guess.

I'll have to come up with a better way, like an account somewhere else.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I'd just use a piece of solid Indian rosewood. You can purchase a side set or even orphaned side from a lutherie supplier. It bends rather easily and relatively stable when quartersawn.

I don't think however that this rosewood plywood is more expensive than solid rosewood. This stuff is made in pretty large quantities, and the outer skins are very thin. They are actually easier to bend, for a factory, since they are put in a steam chamber to loosen the wood bond, then quickly removed and put in a press mold, till the glue cools and re-bonds the layers. The middle layer is laid 90 degress to the skin, also facilitating easier bending and lending stability. It doesn't make it bad, just that it is what it is.
I saw a guy selling orphaned sides on eBay last night for what struck me as very low prices. With shipping, they're under $15. The catch is you just get what he sends, no choice of wood.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGraybeard View Post
That's exactly what I did. I didn't see the image in the preview, but the FAQ said we might not see it there. I added that "insert link" backup in case it didn't show up there.

I just did what you did - right clicked the picture, chose "copy image location" (Firefox) - and find the URL you got from my picture is different from the one Google Photos gave me. (I sent it to my wife to verify she could see it, and have it in sent mail).

Which makes it a weird Google thing, I guess.

I'll have to come up with a better way, like an account somewhere else.
I use Photobucket and Flickr, no problems with either, though Photobucket is dead slow unless you pay...
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Orphaned Backs and Sides

Here is a link to some orphaned backs and sides at a very reasonable price:
http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/close-outs-c-84/
Good luck with the repair.
Clifford
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Here is a link to some orphaned backs and sides at a very reasonable price:
http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/close-outs-c-84/
Good luck with the repair.
Clifford
Purchased woods from Pete Cefalu, and met him at Woodstock again this year... great guys to deal with, and probably could find something that cloaely matches...
Old 10-25-2016, 11:40 PM

I would not bother with a laminated side. You need special equipment to bend them, and they offer some advantages to a big manufacturer that you won't get. Their main reason for existing is they won't split which helps the maker with warranty claims. I bet you're not planning on warranteeing this instrument are you?

You can buy a set of solid sides from stewmac and they also sell other stuff you'll need like a set of kerfed linings and some bits of material for the corners where your new side meets the old ones.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

What if you used plexiglass instead of wood? Then you'd still have the "window" into the inside of the guitar.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:57 AM

I guess I don't particularly want the cutaway. My reason for doing this is to make it more secure mechanically. Right now, it's the best guitar I've ever had for recovering when it swallows my pick.

Well, I suppose the main reason is to learn about how to do things like this.

I gave up on it being a seamless repair long ago. Even if I could match the cuts perfectly and fit a new top and back, I'd never match the grain or color patterns of the wood. I'd need a stack of wood and hours to go through it. I'd need to restore parts of the braces that are gone. It would be far easier to build a new one.

Right now, the orphaned side idea sounds best, except that the couple of places I found that will sell them say there's no choice of what wood they send. I'll have a side that's part rosewood and part completely different. I'd like to find a set of electronics for it, and restore it as an acoustic electric. I see those around.

There are tons of uniquely shaped guitars out there, although most are electrics. This one will have a very different shape.

Maybe the key is to cut more of it away? Then I could make more conventional looking upper and lower bouts with a waist. It will be more of a parlor sized guitar, but still oddly shaped. Probably still asymmetrical, though.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGraybeard View Post
Well, I suppose the main reason is to learn about how to do things like this.

This is a fun thread, and I would love to see a successful outcome.

However, to be clear, repair folks don't encounter "things like this" where the guitar was "sawn in half" all that often. More specifically, I don't know that the problem-solving on this project will apply readily to future work.

I'd go for the plexi suggestion, myself.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 PM

How about saving neck and bridge and building a new body?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:57 AM

I was leaning towards the plexiglass solution, The instrument could still be eminently playable, but also, you could use it to educate your admirers on the complexity in guitar design. I would't muck with the shape as it is, and just fill in the side, either with plexiglass or a close match, as far as timber is concerned. Either way, you'll have a unqiue guitar.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
I was leaning towards the plexiglass solution, The instrument could still be eminently playable, but also, you could use it to educate your admirers on the complexity in guitar design. I would't muck with the shape as it is, and just fill in the side, either with plexiglass or a close match, as far as timber is concerned. Either way, you'll have a unqiue guitar.
My wife tells me she thinks it sounds great as it is. It really is an oversized sound port, with the sound directed up at me.

Considering the effort to find an orphan side, plexiglass might be a good option.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
This is a fun thread, and I would love to see a successful outcome.

However, to be clear, repair folks don't encounter "things like this" where the guitar was "sawn in half" all that often. More specifically, I don't know that the problem-solving on this project will apply readily to future work.

I'd go for the plexi suggestion, myself.
For sure. No one's going to bring in something that looks like this, but it won't be a waste of time. Learning the gluing and clamping tricks will be helpful. Learning how to put down purfling, and bindings would be, too. The guitar has a trim that looks like abalone that I'd want to try to match.

I am a rank beginner. The only thing I've built is a kit electric guitar, and that was almost entirely staining and finishing. I learned more about how to setup a guitar from that than I ever knew.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair