The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

I just bought a Blue Digital Spark for recording into my Ipad, made my first Utube incorporating pictures in IMovie. Looked to me it would do video as well and sinc it. I have a small HD video camcorder and will try it. So much power for so little money in these program and doing it all on a Ipad. Now I have to fiquire out why on earth someone would actually like to see me play guitar? LOL
It may end there.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Isn't there some software that will allow you to simultaneously record audio and video without having to muck around synching them up? What about recording on a DVD stand alone recorder, with a camera and external mics and mixer, then importing the DVD and compressing it to a format compatible with YouTube?

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Isn't there some software that will allow you to simultaneously record audio and video without having to muck around synching them up? What about recording on a DVD stand alone recorder, with a camera and external mics and mixer, then importing the DVD and compressing it to a format compatible with YouTube?
The tool for this job is the now out of production Zoom Q3HD. Another possibility would be the Olympus LS20m. You'll need plenty of light to get good video, though.

There are a few point-and-shoot type cameras with mic input and HD video that may give you audio quality you find acceptable.

Or save up and get a video camera with excellent audio quality, XLR inputs, p48 phantom, 1080p HD video, and good low light performance. You should be able to find something in the $2000-$5000 price range.

Honestly, combining audio and video in post just isn't that hard. It's easier than learning to play guitar, for instance.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Isn't there some software that will allow you to simultaneously record audio and video without having to muck around synching them up?
I'm sure there are many solutions. One software approach that I have used is Wirecast, which is meant for web-casting, but also records to disk. You can connect multiple sources to it, multiple cameras, audio ins, and it will mix everything, let you switch cameras, switch between audio sources, and record it all live. Of course, it's not real cheap ($500? I forget), and doing multi-cameras this way requires an operator, and you don't have the opportunity to make changes after the fact. But if you check out any of the AGF StageIt webcasts I did, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoUpXF1sjJQ, these were done this way.

Synching audio and video is really so easy that I'd prefer it. If you're on a Mac and use Final Cut X, the sync is built in, just toss as many video and audio clips in as you want, and Final Cut will line them all up. For other programs, there's PluralEyes, which will line up multiple tracks for you. It does cost $100, making it perhaps more attractive to just use Final Cut X. Not sure if there's a window's version, but probably. Of course, a clap and a few seconds spent slipping a track is free :-) and also works just fine with a little practice.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM

If it is just me doing a single track, I use a Zoom Q3HD for both the audio and video. That way I don't have to bother with syncing, and can get straight to editing. The built-in stereo mics on the Zoom are plenty good for my purposes, especially when the end game is YouTube.

For video editing (trimming, fades, etc.) and final output, I use OpenShot on Ubuntu Linux, which is free.

Hope that helps,
GC
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM

I have a Windows 7 box, although I might use our XP machine because it's upstairs in my music room.

My website:

Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM

BTW, it was mentioned above that the Q3HD is out of production. However there are still a few available on Amazon. This link is to a bundle including the camera and accessory kit. I'd highly recommend the accessory kit because it includes the AC adapter. It also includes a case, a mini tripod, and a windscreen for the mics. Without the AC adapter, it does go throu batteries pretty quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZQ3HD-Kit...&keywords=Q3hd

GC
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 PM

I use a Canon FS 200 (2007 vintage).

Canon consumer video cameras usually take an external mic. via a 3.5 mm port.
That's a necessity for musicians. You can naturally sync your audio with your video.

Unfortunately, my external mic port never functioned out of the box. I didn't return it
because the internal mic was surprisingly good. So I always had to sync my video. Still do.

I'll probably buy another consumer-level Canon video camera one of these days.
Or maybe a SONY. But a functioning external mic port is an absolute prerequisite.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I use a Canon FS 200 (2007 vintage).

Canon consumer video cameras usually take an external mic. via a 3.5 mm port.
That's a necessity for musicians. You can naturally sync your audio with your video.

Unfortunately, my external mic port never functioned out of the box. I didn't return it
because the internal mic was surprisingly good. So I always had to sync my video. Still do.

Or maybe a SONY. But a functioning external mic port is an absolute prerequisite.
I have a Panasonic PV-DV52D. It's a really nice camcorder with excellent optics and wonderful low light performance. It has a lousy internal mic; no bass, and no external mic input. What it does have is an AV output. So I was thinking of running the video out of it into my DVD recorder, and running the audio off my mixer into the DVD recorder and using the camcorder as a camera. Then take the DVD and process it on the computer. Alternatively I have a webcam. I don't know how good it is, but I could use that with audio from my mixer into the soundcard, and synch up the video and audio as everyone here suggests.

My website:

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
Having a jack for an external mic is one thing, handling the audio in a way that complements an acoustic guitar is a whole different thing, in my experience. A few years ago I bought a couple of different HD cameras because they had mic inputs, but I discovered that in both of them the audio circuitry resulted in noise, distortion, and bass rolloff. The Zoom Q3HD was the first (relatively) low cost camera I found with decent audio. Here's a blog post I did comparing the three cameras using both their internal mics and external mics: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...the-zoom-q3hd/

Even with the internal mics of the Zoom I've often used an external preamp and mic setup, because a camera position that frames the whole guitar and my head puts the camera too far away for good audio.

I've gotten caught up in Camera Acquisition Syndrome to some extent, these days my main cam is a Lumix GH3 which has a mic input and gain control for the audio, but even with this rig I have to manage incoming audio levels very carefully to avoid triggering the limiter and squashing my audio, and under the best conditions the audio quality isn't as good as a Zoom H2n. So when I'm looking for good quality I'm back to syncing audio and video in post.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Having a jack for an external mic is one thing, handling the audio in a way that complements an acoustic guitar is a whole different thing, in my experience. A few years ago I bought a couple of different HD cameras because they had mic inputs, but I discovered that in both of them the audio circuitry resulted in noise, distortion, and bass rolloff. The Zoom Q3HD was the first (relatively) low cost camera I found with decent audio. Here's a blog post I did comparing the three cameras using both their internal mics and external mics: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...the-zoom-q3hd/

Even with the internal mics of the Zoom I've often used an external preamp and mic setup, because a camera position that frames the whole guitar and my head puts the camera too far away for good audio.

I've gotten caught up in Camera Acquisition Syndrome to some extent, these days my main cam is a Lumix GH3 which has a mic input and gain control for the audio, but even with this rig I have to manage incoming audio levels very carefully to avoid triggering the limiter and squashing my audio, and under the best conditions the audio quality isn't as good as a Zoom H2n. So when I'm looking for good quality I'm back to syncing audio and video in post.

Fran
You're right. I was thinking of running a mixer or sub mixer into the 3.5 mm jack on a video camera. But since the external mic input on mine has never worked properly,
I can't say if it's adequate or not.

I can say that the quality of the internal mic on the Canon absolutely astonished me. It's probably the best-sounding mic I own.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD