The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRock1169 View Post
Well it sounds like the amp is the way for me to go right now. Something like a Marshall AS50D, Ultrasound DS4 or Fishman Loudbox mini. I'm also going to get a DI/preamp and most likely a SM58 with a boom mic. I know this isn't the right section but do yall have any tips for first acoustic gigs. How many breaks I should take. Ya know stuff that is just good to know for a new performer.
After many years I recently started to gig again and my experience might be relevant for your situation.
We are acoustic duo (2 guitars, 2 vocals) playing in cafe on Friday's night with unpredictable number and type people (challenge number 1) and we play 3-4 hours which is divided in 2 sets with one 10-15 minutes break.
Our list has 150+ songs plus many we can improvise by request.
Our first set is more pop-rock taste during a time when people are arriving/chatting and second block is more folk oriented (celebration mood) when people can sing with us and eventually dance.
It happened few times that cafe was almost empty but we use that opportunity to try new songs or more complicated ones (just for a practice).
Our gear is Yamaha NTX900 and APX700 guitars, 2 Fishman's Mini and mics - Sennheiser e835 and Sure SM57. We normally come 1/2 hour earlier to setup equipment (fortunately we have short trip from the car to the stage - we just park on the front of cafe) and have a coffee with an owner who is very nice guy.
One more thing which is part of our gear is music sheet on stand that we don't use much but it's friendly reminder when your brain stops working occasionally (and suddenly).
For now our setup is relatively simple but we are pretty happy with a sound (tips and compliments are best proof for that) and eventually we can add some more toys (some guitar effect for soloing) because you have to invest-spend-waste your gig's money somewhere:-)

Good luck!
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by Justinian; 06-17-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
After many years I recently started to gig again and my experience might be relevant for your situation.
We are acoustic duo (2 guitars, 2 vocals) playing in cafe on Friday's night with unpredictable number and type people (challenge number 1) and we play 3-4 hours which is divided in 2 sets with one 10-15 minutes break.
Our list has 150+ songs plus many we can improvise by request.
Our first set is more pop-rock taste during a time when people are arriving/chatting and second block is more folk oriented (celebration mood) when people can sing with us and eventually dance.
It happened few times that cafe was almost empty but we use that opportunity to try new songs or more complicated ones (just for a practice).
Our gear is Yamaha NTX900 and APX700 guitars, 2 Fishman's Mini and mics - Sennheiser e835 and Sure SM57. We normally come 1/2 hour earlier to setup equipment (fortunately we have short trip from the car to the stage - we just park on the front of cafe) and have a coffee with an owner who is very nice guy.
One more thing which is part of our gear is music sheet on stand that we don't use much but it's friendly reminder when your brain stops working occasionally (and suddenly).
For now our setup is relatively simple but we are pretty happy with a sound (tips and compliments are best proof for that) and eventually we can add some more toys (some guitar effect for soloing) because you have to invest-spend-waste your gig's money somewhere:-)

Good luck!
So those tiny fisman mini's can sound up the room and can be used for a gig
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM

My words of, um, wisdom.

Keep the breaks short - 10 minutes or so
Play a little slower than you normally would.
Be on time and don't leave early.
Have a ton of fun and do it again soon if you can!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM

My advice would be to buy the best gear you can afford. If you are gonna be playing and making money, don't go cheap early. Also, have spares of the basics, strings, picks, batteries and cables. Especially cables. Be on time and courteous to the people who booked you and are paying you. If someone, ie bar owner/bartender says your too loud,,,,,,you are, regardless of what you think personally. And by the way.....have fun and make good music.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM

If you have not done it. Go play some open mic nights. You will play through some different systems and learn how they sound to you. Plus ,you will have fun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification