The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Headset mic anyone?

I have been thinking of eliminating the mic stand, etc. and going with a good headset mic. I used an older version of Samson for a while some years ago but the problem was I could not get the voice dynamics I was used to with the trusty SM58.
Anyone have any thoughts, experiences on headset mic stand, and/or recommendations?
Much appreciated,
davidc
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 AM

For vocals I wouldn't recommend using a headset mic - there's no opportunity for deploying proper mic techniques, and you'll end up looking like Madonna on a bad day
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I have been thinking of eliminating the mic stand, etc. and going with a good headset mic. I used an older version of Samson for a while some years ago but the problem was I could not get the voice dynamics I was used to with the trusty SM58.
Anyone have any thoughts, experiences on headset mic stand, and/or recommendations?
Much appreciated,
davidc
I'd be interested in this too, partly to ease busking logistics.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Much appreciated,
davidc
Experience - yes. Recommendation - no.

I used one when I was in a party band and was looking in many directions while singing and playing. I haven't used it since. You lose your dynamics, you get breath noise and if you have to clear your throat, there's no turning your head away. if you want to talk off mic, you better remember that mute button. If you use one at all you need a Cough Drop or similar momentary interruption device. I don't like headsets much at all.

I also do theater and we have light headsets. We are told not to touch it, the sound guy will mute your channel when you are off stage. Yeah, OK, good luck with that. I say yessir to the stage manager and mute it myself when I'm off stage.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
For vocals I wouldn't recommend using a headset mic - there's no opportunity for deploying proper mic techniques, and you'll end up looking like Madonna on a bad day
Too true — everything will tend toward blandness of boomyness.
Martin J40
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I used one for a while about a decade ago. Same experience as others, with the loss of mic technique and no way to "turn your head to cough."

With all the modern technology, where would I clip my iPad without a mic stand??
Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
blandness of boomyness.
Sounds like a character in Game Of Thrones

"Yes your Blandness right away "

The only time I ever used one was giving round pen horse training seminars
The main problem was anytime I had to run. I sounded like a steam locomotive chugging up a grade .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-15-2018, 04:58 PM

I have both experience and a strong recommendation.

Danish Professional Audio, aka DPA.

I've used my DPA d:fine headset (the 4088 capsule with the cardiod pattern) for over a year now for both busking and stage.
Superbly accurate sound!

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/micro...ional-headsets

DPA makes several models.
Mine was one of the cheaper models, at around $750.
It needs +48v phantom power, which I get from this fine Japanese battery-powered (6 AA) field mixer:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...SAAEgICqPD_BwE

I also use DPA's tiny clip-on shotgun condenser for my acoustic guitar DPA d:vote VO-4099G.
Perfectly natural high-end accurate sound.
Not a single micro-dB of quack.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-mic-with-clip

I don't do wireless, but DPA offers connecting adaptors for all the major brands of wireless gear.

Pricey stuff, but my experience is it's worth every penny.

Last edited by Tico; 03-15-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I have both experience and a strong recommendation...
My back-of-the-envelope estimate is that the only part of that setup I can afford are the Mogami cables lol.

But seriously, thanks for the real-world experience and recommendations.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 PM

Thanks everyone. The experience is consistent with what I experienced regarding the loss of dynamics. It is just an attractive thought to be able to eliminate a mic stand but obiously not worth the loss of dynamics in performance.
Thanks again
Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 AM

I asked about headset mics (that don't need phantom) for busking. Seems that most are made for wireless use (with beltpack), this is the only one that came out as a possibility:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...#productDetail

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I asked about headset mics (that don't need phantom) for busking. Seems that most are made for wireless use (with beltpack), this is the only one that came out as a possibility:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...#productDetail
I actually ordered this and returned it recently. It operated fine--I tested it with my Bose L1 Compact but more thoroughly with my normal home practice setup that runs the mic and amplified guitar through the Boss VE-8 and into headphones so I can rehearse without being evicted. It was pretty much as most reading this thread would expect: It wasn't as good as a hand-held mic (I've been using an EV457a and recently a Sennheiser e935, it better not be) and what little mic technique I had went out the window. But if I were doing a lot of busking, I might have kept it. I was trying it for a quick setup/breakdown solution and long story short it wasn't great for that in my scenario.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Just got a notice in my e-mail (dont know if applies to wireless headset mic per se ) BUT for anyone considering buying a wireless mic that operates in the 600mhz range especially used or current stock
The FCC just announced that the 600 mhz range is being evacuated

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/fe...UwlXRQEIAVIFAw

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 PM

It obviously depends on what use you have for it, I use this for busking as it's far more practical than a stand and mic. It's also good when rehearsing with my duo at home.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_wh20xlr.htm

For a gig with my band, nothing will replace my Neumann 105.

All the above reservations apply for me, there's no getting away from the limitations of a headset mic.

But then I see artists like Peter Gabriel using one and I think that it can be done with good technique...!

If you like to be mobile on stage then go for it. If like most of us you're fairly static, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 PM

I use a headset now n then, an AKG c555l w' a beltpac. It is a different thing so you have to be aware of that mic right there. Just cupping your hand over it will work as a mute if needed. Otherwise just some self volume control mostly does it. A little adaptation and it works just fine. I do use mics on stands far more often though.

Still when it seems appropriate this one gets a run and it works pretty well I think. I will admit to a little self consciousness the first time out.. but that applies to many things, so....

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification