The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Carvin S600b (battery question)

I managed to get a hold of one of the remaining Carvin S600b battery powered p.a systems and have been enjoying testing it out in different situations - great results so far. My partner and make a large part of our income busking here in Quebec during the summers and we were finding our Roland BA330 wasn't quite cutting it (It was also a bit bulky to be carrying around on busses). I'm wondering if their are any folks who might be able to help me about with a questions about batteries/voltages/amps etc.

One cool thing about the Carvin is that it can be charged/powered while in use use via a port on the back and a external battery pack (something like this)...

My question is, Would it be possible to power/charge the unit it with 8 AA batteries? I'm sure it may not power/charge it for very long but it could really help out it certain situations when we might be running low on internal battery. I have a battery carriage that can hold 8 AA and all I would need to do would be to solder the correct plug onto the end of it. On the p.a, the only information given is 12VDC 2A. It is the '2A' that I am wondering about. I understand it means '2 amps' but what does that mean in regards to trying to power/charge the unit with 8 AA batteries?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 AM

No ... at 1 amp draw an AA cell is good for less than one hour. I had a S400D. If I needed more time I used a simple 7 or 9 amp/hour sealed cell. Cheap and effective, and available at most home improvement stores. Better would be a deep cycle marine battery, but heavier and bulky.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks for your reply, would something like this be more preferable? I'm looking for something lightweight and portable so I can just carry it in my guitar case and give the Carvin a little more batt life when necessary. 3000mAh should be enough for 30m - 1h depending on volume.

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re...portable+power

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Thanks for your reply, would something like this be more preferable? I'm looking for something lightweight and portable so I can just carry it in my guitar case and give the Carvin a little more batt life when necessary. 3000mAh should be enough for 30m - 1h depending on volume.
Maybe ........
Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
No ... at 1 amp draw an AA cell is good for less than one hour. I had a S400D. If I needed more time I used a simple 7 or 9 amp/hour sealed cell. Cheap and effective, and available at most home improvement stores. Better would be a deep cycle marine battery, but heavier and bulky.

+1 for RustyAxe’s answer. Sealed cells can be purchased in any size, amperage and are reliable and easy to use. I used these for years to power photo strobes and never had a problem.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification