The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for the compliments re the sound of the Dream presentation of my JB-15. They have become quite proficient at making recordings that show their guitars in the best light possible. As it happens, I believe this particular guitar does sound quite good, but what really makes this guitar (and most any other I’ve made) stand out is the responsive quality, it sort of gets out of the player’s way and makes the sound seem to spring from your own body. This is a quality often overlooked, and virtually always underrated.

Some guitars you have to force the sound out of, others you seem to restrain, releasing the beauty by forming it with your fingers on the instrument. You will know it when you experience it, if you’re looking for it.

All guitars are tools, but a well balance razor sharp tool in skilled hands is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-22-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM

Bruce I have to join the others in saying that is a phenomenally sounding guitar. I actually watch a lot of Paul's and Al's videos to get some sense of how guitars compare to one another. I can sort of tell when a guitar is more "responsive" just by the way Al plays the "Crossing" demo song. Sometimes he plays it at a slower tempo, other times he's more upbeat with more improvisation and other nuances; which I hear on this recording. I've only played one of your guitars in an intimate setting, it was a well-worn 000 that was in Paul's shop (I think it was Honduras rosewood) which I felt had the same "airy" sound and responsiveness that this one has in it's early life...
Old 01-21-2018, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Louie: Once upon a time there was Online/Living-Room guitar business called "Fine Guitar Consultants". Its principle was Richard Glick, rip. Richard was a decent fingerstyle guitar player though I had to forgive him for using metal fingerpicks. Richard bought from me the tucurensis 000-45 that you played at Dream, and used it for his personal instrument for several years. I felt quite honored by that. It was no trailer queen despite the copious abalone.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Louie: Once upon a time there was Online/Living-Room guitar business called "Fine Guitar Consultants". Its principle was Richard Glick, rip. Richard was a decent fingerstyle guitar player though I had to forgive him for using metal fingerpicks. Richard bought from me the tucurensis 000-45 that you played at Dream, and used it for his personal instrument for several years. I felt quite honored by that. It was no trailer queen despite the copious abalone.
One could definitely tell from the condition that it was well played. And for good reason - it sounded amazing! It's great to know he thought so much of the guitar that he played the thing! Great vibe to it as well, though well beyond my pay grade (which is how I got started on the road of building these things LOL...)

I vaguely remember the name, but remember seeing that business in my early days of researching individual-luthier-built guitars....
Old 01-22-2018, 01:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am going to bind the JB-L00 with Snakewood and use my typical flamed maple purflings. When I make a guitar for someone, I generally make the binding specifically for the guitar and quadrilaterally book-match them. I usually make 5 or six so that if I break one of the four I need I can still get the match. Thus I have accumulated a dozen or more perfectly fine snakewood binding strips w/purflings on them. Rather than toss them I use them on spec guitars, where no one has ever mentioned noticing the short coming. Perhaps that is because very few guitar manufacturers (if any) go to the trouble to match the bindings.

Here is the Amazon back with the tapered back strip that will match the bindings:
Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 PM

It's such a subtle detail, but the slight taper makes a big visual difference IMO.... something I'd like to try..
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

A bit over a week ago, I believe I showed the sides of Jmat's L00 a with a couple of coats of oil varnish on it. Today I put what I expect to be the last coat of oil varnish on the same guitar. In another month or so I'll be completing the guitar and sending it off, meanwhile this'll be your last look till then, probably. These pics are sopping wet, and as it dries it will flow out considerably flatter.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

That is lookin great Bruce...
Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Looks great Bruce. If you are done in a month then perhaps I can take it to Artisan and give the east coasters a look.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Looks great Bruce. If you are done in a month then perhaps I can take it to Artisan and give the east coasters a look.
Easily...it should come together and be in your hands a month ahead of Artisan...
Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although I could buff out the finish a mere 3 days after the last coat goes on, I'd then have to re-buff it a month later as the gloss would dull out. Also, since the varnish is a shadow of the hardness it will be, there is a considerable likelihood of increased "shop wear" before I get it out of here. So I like to let it harden for 30 days before I flatten it and buff, and finally assemble the guitar. The assembly is 3 days and another 4 days will typically see the set up finessed, and then I can deliver. So about five weeks plus shipping (3 day express saver) and you'll have a month to get used to it before the show. Unless any of a hundred things go sideways, but that has become very unusual, knock on wood.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:56 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Love those sides! Nice work Bruce!

Maybe I'll get a chance to play this one at Artisan.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

You bet Denis. I am looking forward to meeting you. Maybe we use the forum as a way to have some coordination at the event
Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Music soothes the soul!

You can email me as well. Address in my profile.

I automagically get email on my phone. AGF I have to open to see.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

JB-L00 (for La Conner) has got its side reinforcement ribbons, and may even get the back on today! The clamp at the bottom is holding the last 1 3/16" of side which is the trouble I have to go to to get the miter between the cutaway bit and the driver's side close enough to perfect to please me. Another solution is to run a binding strip along the corner of the block, but I find this visually distracting, functionally pointless, and a lot more work just to disguise an "difficult" connection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop