The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 PM

Trading with a store on their premises is not the same as trading with your buddy in your living room. They pay the rent and all the other overheads on the place where you are doing the trade. They are working there to earn their living; you are not. They tied up their money in a guitar they bought in order to sell it at a profit. They won't be there very long if they trade even value guitars straight across as you might with a friend.

$500 is a very modest amount for them to ask for their investment in their business, their investment in the guitar you want, and their work time spent trading with you.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Trading with a store on their premises is not the same as trading with your buddy in your living room. They pay the rent and all the other overheads on the place where you are doing the trade. They are working there to earn their living; you are not. They tied up their money in a guitar they bought in order to sell it at a profit. They won't be there very long if they trade even value guitars straight across as you might with a friend.

$500 is a very modest amount for them to ask for their investment in their business, their investment in the guitar you want, and their work time spent trading with you.
So very well explained, and well put!! Thanks, Howard!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Shops need to make a profit. Even if the guitars had equal market value, a $500 difference in this price range is not unreasonable to get a guitar you like much better.
Yes, this would be my philosophy. The $500 is the cast of your passion ! Pay it gladly and enjoy.

Assuming that you have more than $500 in the bank and you have no debts, will the Santa Cruz not give you more joy than that money in your savings account?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcrazy View Post
While I always try to get the best possible deal, I always remember the advice my father gave me: Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten. Best of luck on your decision.
Words of wisdom right here!!!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:49 AM

My suggestion is go see your Dr and get some valium to take at night because you will lose sleep thinking about this deal. But I will say life is short and $500 although a lot of money for some, is well worth the cost if the new guitar inspired you to play more and bring you more joy when you spend time with with your new girlfriend.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Six months ago, when you bought the Bourgeois, did you feel about it the way you feel about the Santa Cruz now? What is the source of not bonding with the Bourgeois? Might you feel the same about the Santa Cruz in 6 months?

Your hesitation to make the deal may indicate doubt about the Santa Cruz that may rear up later.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all that replied. After along night (truthfully more heat and humidity than guitar) I have decided to surrender my $500 dollars and go forward. If they still have it..... Photos to follow.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:12 AM

It could be bad deal, it could be a fair deal, it could be a great deal ??

What models?? Saying SCGC 000 covers a huge price range, and "prototypes" don't always have great re-sale value.

You have to realistically looks are what both guitars are worth used, to the market, starting with what model Santa Cruz to get a price idea.

And yes, the store needs to make some money to stay in business. What do you think the Bourgeois is worth, and what model Santa Cruz, I am curious, thx.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbedard View Post
Thanks to all that replied. After along night (truthfully more heat and humidity than guitar) I have decided to surrender my $500 dollars and go forward. If they still have it..... Photos to follow.
You are wise beyond your years. You are now able to leave the temple, grasshopper.....
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
It could be bad deal, it could be a fair deal, it could be a great deal ??

What models?? Saying SCGC 000 covers a huge price range, and "prototypes" don't always have great re-sale value.

You have to realistically looks are what both guitars are worth used, to the market, starting with what model Santa Cruz to get a price idea.

And yes, the store needs to make some money to stay in business. What do you think the Bourgeois is worth, and what model Santa Cruz, I am curious, thx.
My thoughts exactly... Need to know the value of each guitar.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I've been buying, selling and trading guitars for more than 20 years now. I can tell you from some recent transactions that the jumbo prototype is going to be harder to sell than a SCGC 000 in the event you want to move on from either. There are a lot of used and new Bourgeois' around right now. I was at the Music Emporium the other day and they said they are doing fine with Collings, but the other brands are pretty slow (both new and used), so if the store only wants $500 jump at it, because the next time around it could be $1000.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbedard View Post
Congratulations, I would have made the same decision. Enjoy your Santa Cruz.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:33 PM

I think your walking away was correct. Five hundred dollars to do the deal on a perceived equal-value trade tells me something about each brand, not the shop owner's desire to just turn a buck.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

If we want stores to stay in business they need to be able to make money. I don't think $500 is unreasonable. There is a risk to taking a trade. They have to be able to sell it within a reasonable amount of time. As they say, time is money, which is true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, santa cruz