The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi dcmey

Magnetic pickups (both Baggs you listed) are far less responsive, and non-acoustic sounding when amplified than contact pickups (which the K&K Pure mini are). They are more bullet proof in regards to feedback, but not really acoustic sounding. K&Ks get a lot of love and respect because of what they sound like live and how well they work, not because of any discussions on a forum or advertising.

The K&K are more organic sounding through an amp or PA than a mag pickup. They pick up and reflect many acoustic aspects which are transferred via the saddle/bridge (including hand noise, tapping on the body, percussive drop strums etc). They reflect the changes in attack between fingerpicking and plectrum, all flesh fingerpicking and nails etc. Mag pickups only echo the strings they are sensing…

You referenced videos on YouTube, which is no way to judge any guitar or pickup combination. Pickups are not intended to bypass speakers, and when recorded direct sound sub-par. And the quality of YouTube recordings is often very amateur.

I mix sound for others, and of all the pickups 'out there' that I end up running through PA systems, the K&K are the most guitar-like, and my favorites. I know how to mix them and carry a spare preamp (with DI capabilities) in case the user doesn't have one. They produce a very solid and acoustic, sound.

Also, the quality of the preamp used and the system played through affect the quality of all pickups (or effects etc). On YouTube the quality of the camera and the microphone certainly affect the quality of the sound (not to mention the speakers playing YouTube clips/video).

You may very well have heard K&Ks live without knowing it since most people who use them don't put any bumper stickers, or labels on the guitar or gear to call attention to the gear. They just want to make great sounding music…

Like I said I have used one, on Youtube they don't sound very natural. I have an Baggs M1a that I dialed in by adjusting pole pieces. If I had to do it again I would go with an Baggs M80. I play at my church, and there are 2 sites at one I use my loudbox mini, and the other a PA. It would sense on that pickup I could go passive or active.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
Like I said I have used one, on Youtube they don't sound very natural. I have an Baggs M1a that I dialed in by adjusting pole pieces. If I had to do it again I would go with an Baggs M80. I play at my church, and there are 2 sites at one I use my loudbox mini, and the other a PA. It would sense on that pickup I could go passive or active.
The m80 us a nice pickup ., i have one.
the active passive thing is inconvenient because
you have to remove the pickup in order to toggle
the switch i leave it passive. i am also a fan
of the sunrise mag pup as well. But when properly
eq'd and preamped The kk is still my favorite.Much hotter too.
I like to go to open mics. I find the mag pups
are better when I am a guest musician and plugging
into a variety of inputs. The kk is better when i have
control of the outboard equipment. I don't lug a
plethora of stuff to open mics or sitting in with
other folks sound systems. So the mag pup goes well here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification