The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 PM

Default my set-up for solo nylon-string guitar

part of the impetus in making this recording/video was to post on a classical guitar forum--many classical guitarists, compared to pop/rock/jazz players, are not as savvy about home recording gear and techniques etc...below is the text from my post on the classical guitar forum:

This video shows the home recording gear I've used for several years and how the results sound. I'm of the 'less is more' and 'keep it simple' mindset. I dont own a smartphone and don't like recording via computers & software. The video shows the 3 items used to make the recording (minus Sony headphones used to ascertain mic placement or for private listening.)

Recorder: Tascam DP-008EX. An 8-channel digital multitrack recorder. About $125 (the AC adapter is extra, but it can also run on AA batteries). Compact: 8.5" x 4.75" x 1." Loaded with features and easy to use. Two integral omnidirectional condenser microphones, Assignable inputs, EQ, 6 types of (user-editable) reverb, editable compression, limiting & de-esser etc, phantom power, USB, mastering programs, all kind of editing features.

I'd recorded nylon-string guitars on this using a wide variety of mic's and wasn't satisfied. THEN I tried recording guitar in mono, using one of the integral omni mics--voila! I was tickled--there was a sound which satisfied my ears. For solo guitar I use little or no EQ and usually use some reverb for 'ambience'.

Mixed-down and then mastered in stereo. The mastering program offers 'auto' or 'manual (editable) settings. 'Auto Mastering' works good for solo guitar. In 'Auto Mastering' there are three choices: 1. No effect. 2. Natural Sound 3. Maximum Sound. I use the 'Natural Sound' setting for solo guitar.

Guitar: a 1962 Levin made in Sweden, branded 'Goya G-10'. Spruce over birch. 630 mm scale. This guitar is normally brighter than it sounds here, but the strings have been on it for about 1.5 years! (red treble LaBella's) I kinda like the resultant way-mellow tone anyhow.

Monitor Speaker. I'd used a variety of speakers for mixing/monitoring with mixed results. I had two small bluetooth speakers which worked well but after awhile their integral rehargeable batteries failed to charge. The speaker shown here sounds better than they did, and uses AAA batteries. Best of all, it's sold at the 'Five Below' stores, so it only costs $5!! It's called the 'Retro Speaker'--presumably due to the fake wood-grain look of the plastic front! I'm gonna get 2 more and put them aside should this one die. The specs claim 20-20,000 frequency response and (oddly for something so inexpensive) I kinda believe it. It also seems to have a very flat response. MP3 and CD players also sound very good through it.

Note: Though I love classical guitar (it's what I mostly listen to) I can't play it. My reading skills are poor and I play left-handed on righty-strung guitars. I mostly use a flat-pick, using the 'crosspicking' technique. Nonetheless, my intent when playing solo guitar is 'formal', seeking to create small compositions (or improvisations) which are musically interesting.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Love it. Great tone, tremendous musicality. Was that a composed piece, or were you just letting it rip?

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Wonderful sound.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Love it. Great tone, tremendous musicality. Was that a composed piece, or were you just letting it rip?
improvised, but using harmonic ideas/motifs etc i've been playing/hearing obsessively for a few weeks....thanks for liking it!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I’m having a chuckle after plunking down the change for a nice LDC mic, a pair of SDC mics, a USB audio interface, and a DAW software. I bet my results really won’t be a lot better than what you are producing at about 1/5 of what I spent!

Congrats, that sounds great.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’m having a chuckle after plunking down the change for a nice LDC mic, a pair of SDC mics, a USB audio interface, and a DAW software. I bet my results really won’t be a lot better than what you are producing at about 1/5 of what I spent!

Congrats, that sounds great.
uh-oh....i'm afraid to tell you that my fave capo is ye olde elastic ones, stretchy decorated strap, about $3....

and my fave tuner is ye olde guitar pitchpipe

glad you liked the sound....have a great time with your new gear!!....i've also bought/owned/used lotsa stuff like that....

but nowadays (because of being elderly?) the simplest approach appeals...the 'bah humbug syndrome', kinda, minus the bad xmas eve dreams, tiny tims, turkeys etc.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

What an inspiration! Thanks for posting both your description and the video.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Wonderful sound.
thank you so much!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
What an inspiration! Thanks for posting both your description and the video.

Tony
so glad you liked it! thank you.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM

A classic case of less is more. Well done!
Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Terrific. Loved your little ditty. And a really fine sound.
Tell me about the room you recorded in? I couldn’t get a sound like that anywhere in my house because the rooms are just too lively.
And how far away from the guitar were you recording?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Jane,
I love it!!

Those 'dice cube' string holders look great behind the bridge, and you're going to cause a run on elastic capos:-)

You absolutely nailed it when you said "there was a sound which satisfied my ears"

That is THE only thing that counts.

Well played, Jane!

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD