The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2017, 11:10 PM

I ordered a JJB 330 today. I need to replace the endpin jack on one of my guitars. I was looking around for an endpin jack when I came across the JJB 330. The one I ordered has a flanged stereo endpin jack. I figured I'd put it in my guitar and solder to it my existing pickup and give a duel source system a tryout. I can't see where it will hurt it to try. I need to find a "Y" cable now.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 03-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
First, let me state again that I'm a fan of both pickups, and use both. Now, with all due respect, Larry, the preponderance of personal testimony on this forum (and others) regarding the JJB Prestige 330, differs from your's. Also, a person may go with the less expensive pickup because that savings may be significant to them. You make it sound like the JJB is going to give an audience a poor representation of the musician choosing to use it. That is absolutely ludicrous, and it's an unnecessary insult to Jessie and the good work he does at JJB Electronics. The average audience wouldn't begin to be able to tell the qualitative difference between a guitar equipped with a JJB vs. a K&K (you apparently can tell a difference, but certainly not the average audience); and even if there was a difference, it's certainly not worth $50 to someone who may be on a tight budget. Believe me, the large gathering of people that I have the privilege of playing in front of on a weekly basis don't feel in any way slighted when I use my JJB equipped guitar over my K&K equipped guitar (or vice-versa). To imply such a thing is, frankly, laughable.
I have no experience and certainly no preference.
I would only offer that the two differing statements of opinion made regarding these two similar products are both valid. If I think pickup "A" sounds better than "B", that is important to me. As far as the listening audience goes, I agree,they could not care less and probably couldn't tell the difference if you had two exact guitars side by side with each pickup in them and went back and forth playing the same thing on both.
I'm pretty sure the JJB is a good product as is the K and K. They both have supporters here. I sort of compare it to the Eastman vs. Martin thing.
It's a matter of what works for you and what you can afford or justify spending.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-04-2017, 02:19 PM

I have JJB's installed in both a Martin M-36 and a custom-built Don Rust (paldao/cedar), as well as a 60's-era Martin 00 copy from Japan. I do use a preamp and have gotten compliments on the first two guitars that I use for gigs, for how good and how natural they sound. And I have to say, Jesse is the best for customer service! I would also recommend the volume knob he sells as well - very handy. I've had a K&K in a Martin D16, and it sounded great, too, but may have had a little more volume, but I didn't compare them at the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification