The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 PM

Default lr baggs para acoustic di

Just wanted to find out how well it works? If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Does it help with some of that harsh electric like sound you get from an under the saddle pickup?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

It's great Chris. Pretty much the gold standard in acoustic preamps for many years. I always keep mine handy even though I use acoustic-specific amps these days.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Guest4562

It's great. I don't always use mine (except for my K&K equipped Martin) but it's a good Swiss Army knife to have in the toolbox. That red button is particularly handy if you start to get some of that low mid howl and don't want to mess with frequency hunting to try and kill it. It reverses the phase and might be all you need to do.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM

I find it works well with under saddle pickups but I didn't like it with K&K
Old 03-02-2017, 07:41 PM

With my Yamaha LL16MARE it softens the harshness of the piezo quack saddle, not that it was that bad to begin with, but the Baggs unit does take the edges off that harsh tone. Plus, it's nice to have gain and volume controls. The eq works great too. Just a little bump in the low end will add as much bass as you could want, and if the guitar is bright, turning the high end back works wonders.

My only gripe is the requirement of phantom power or the 9 volt battery, but I have mine being powered by a tube preamp from my pedalboard so that's not a problem anymore.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 PM

The Para DI is a real nice unit. I like that it runs on phantom power. Should do the trick for you nicely. If you need other features like a boost, mute, and a tuner, than the Benue works great too.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 AM

I recently picked one up. I use it with my (also recently purchased) Larrivee om-02 with an LR Baggs Lyric. I've used 'em once live so far. Works. Sounds good. Easy. I have the knobs all turned to about noon.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM

A big YES. Small, yet built like a tank and puts out more signal than you'll ever need. I've A/B'd it against most of the other pre's in it's price range, and a couple more expensive and it sounded as good or better in most cases. The FX loop is a nice extra to add a reverb or other effect to the chain.
I will say, it's only function is to take a signal and amplify it cleanly. If you have a harsh signal to begin with, you're only option is EQ with this box. If it's a harsh signal to begin with, this will make it sound gloriously harsh.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification