The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 PM

Default How do I know if my Tele needs new saddles?

Is there a test?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-18-2016, 04:42 AM

If you're not breaking strings at that point, and there's no damage to them you can see, I'd leave them alone. Unless you want to change to a different type just for the sake of experimentation, that is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 AM

Basically, it doesn't need new saddles unless they are in some way broken. Threads stripped, someone hacked the top with a saw, you are breaking strings there all the time. They don't wear out, they don't go bad. What can happen with a Tele with the two string saddles is you can't get the intonation right usually on the D or G string. In which case I would consider swapping the saddles for new ones that have different intonation.

Brian
Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
What can happen with a Tele with the two string saddles is you can't get the intonation right usually on the D or G string. In which case I would consider swapping the saddles for new ones that have different intonation.

Brian
This is "true", but you can never really get it "right" on any guitar. What you really do is you get it close enough so that you can play the length of the string without cringing

Some people have a lower tolerance for intonation issues than others. And some REALLY find it painful.

My tolerance for "bad" intonation is extremely high. My main acoustics are nationals with straight saddles. It takes a LOT to bother me

As others have said, you never need to change unless they are broken. You might want to for any number of reasons. mixing brass and steel saddles in the same set to take advantage of or tame certain string characteristics is really the only reason I personally would do it. The vintage three barrel system is more than good enough for me. But again. I play a lot of straight saddle guitars. Being able move them in pairs is like smart phone technology to me
Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Been playing my 3-bridge saddle Tele quite happily since 1970. While you can never get the intonation on those suckers exact, you can get them adjusted so that they're close enough for rock and roll or country music. Roy Buchanan, James Burton, Danny Gatton, Steve Cropper and Robbie Robertson are just a few of the amazing guitarists through the years who've done just fine by them.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Same here. I wouldn't trade my three brass saddles for all the steel in the world!

You can purchase replacement dual saddles that are drilled at an angle in an attempt to help those who worry about intonation.

I always used the official Fender method: Set the intonation on the low E, G and high E and play on.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM

Aren't some of these new compensated saddles supposed to spot on.....like the Glendale saddles?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Aren't some of these new compensated saddles supposed to spot on.....like the Glendale saddles?
There's always room for human error -- just ask Hal the computer.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I replaced the whole bridge assembly on my Strat last year, with a Callaham, only because (1) the little Allen screws to set the saddle heights were mostly rounded out, (2) the threaded holes for the Allen screws were packed with dried flakes of palm skin, (3) I was tired of needing two tools to adjust the intonation, since I had a random set of Allen and Phillips head screws installed, and (4) the chrome plating on everthing was worn through or flaking off in chunks. If none of those things are happening, you're good to go. I did however save the original, just in case I ever sell it, which I'm unlikely to ever do.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 07-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
I wouldn't trade my three brass saddles for all the steel in the world!
I didn't really have a choice with my Hipshot B-Bender. No gripes with how it sounds.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 PM

No slight intended, I assure you! I was referring more towards the issue of intonation than any sort of sonic differences.

On the subject of saddles and Fenders, my Strat has steel saddles with bone inserts! There's a new wrinkle to throw in. I wonder how a Tele would sound with bone inserts?...

Regards!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 AM

When Leo Fender introduced the Telecaster (nee Broadcaster) in 1950, the lightest gauge strings available in most places were sets of .012-.054. Three bridge saddles adjustable for height and length represented a significant step forward at the time, and setting the intonation for strings that gauge seemed to work pretty well for most players. Nowadays, of course, strings that gauge are considered "heavy" by most rock and rollers, who prefer .010-.046 sets or, more frequently .009-.043 sets. On strings that light, the three bridge saddle arrangement is impractical as it precludes anything resembling exact intonation.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
When Leo Fender introduced the Telecaster (nee Broadcaster) in 1950, the lightest gauge strings available in most places were sets of .012-.054. Three bridge saddles adjustable for height and length represented a significant step forward at the time, and setting the intonation for strings that gauge seemed to work pretty well for most players. Nowadays, of course, strings that gauge are considered "heavy" by most rock and rollers, who prefer .010-.046 sets or, more frequently .009-.043 sets. On strings that light, the three bridge saddle arrangement is impractical as it precludes anything resembling exact intonation.
That makes a lot of sense.

I'd also assume that Fender's vintage radius is a lot more useful with heavier strings. Lighter strings inevitably would need really high action to not choke out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars