The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Gibson year models ETC

Howdy all,

I'm looking to buy a Gibson electric and have been trying to figure out what to look for to help narrow the search. I've tried to find something on the web that compared the different model years but haven't found a concise source.

I'm thinking I want one that feels a lot like an acoustic. I understand there are differences in neck size between model years. There's the "50 style neck" and other versions. I'm trying to stay under $1500, so 2016 Standard models are out. Is there a huge trade off in going with a LP Studio? Are the pick ups lower quality, enough to make a noticeable difference?

Can someone touch on the differences between a 2010, 2012, 2013 or 2015 model? Or are they basically the same. I'm trying to beef up on these details so when I go to the used section in the guitar stores, I'll at least have a clue as to what to look for. I have yet to find one that has very many in stock so it's hard to do a side by side comparison in the store. There always seem to be one or two random used Gibsons and plenty of brand new models out of my price range. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:51 PM

My first question is: define "feels a lot like an acoustic"...

If you're concentrating strictly on neck width/profile, there are marked differences between what are currently accepted as "acoustic" necks, from the chunky 1-7/8" of a Martin Ditson reissue to the sleekness of a '90s Taylor and every point in between; I'd start with my current acoustic instruments, using that as a frame of reference. If you're looking for an overall acoustic-type feel you'll probably want to focus your search on hollowbody and semi-hollow instruments, as these will be closer in overall dimensions to what you're accustomed to; since you're squarely in the Gibson camp, be advised that they're going to come at a price - at the bare minimum about $500 more than your budget (ES-335 Studio) and going WAY up from there - so you might want to explore some of the more competitively-priced alternatives from Guild, Gretsch, and Godin as well...

As regards the Studio solidbody models, speaking as the owner of an '11 LP goldtop/P-90 '60s Tribute you're giving up nothing in terms of tone or general workmanship - IMO they rank with the J-15 acoustic as the greatest bang-for-the-buck in the regular Gibson lineup (see below). There are subtle differences from year to year as well as the major debacle of 2015 (wisely corrected for the current model year) - my LP has PRS-style revealed-edge top "binding" and a natural mahogany back that give it the look of a well-cared-for under-the-bed '56 (current models have a "darkback" finish like some rare late '57/early '58 goldtops) - but those made in 2014 and before, as well as current models, are fairly consistent in specifications...

Finally, if you want the 335 vibe in a smaller package you might want to grab one of these while the getting's still good:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-DSDC15T-LIST

Originally outfitted with the notorious G-Tune system, these otherwise cool little guitars (I've played a few) sold so miserably that Gibson pulled them from the market, retrofitted them with a proper set of Grovers, and dumped them at a bargain price; considering the current Midtown Custom version sells for ~$2500, you've got a real keeper here - they're not likely to produce these again, and certainly not at that price...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Thanks Steve,

My definition of "feels like an acoustic" is:

One that feels like an acoustic (neck profile, not so much body style). And one that wouldn't seem like a huge difference in playing style from a Collings OM model acoustic. I'm still new and trying to learn and I've spent the first year tooling around on the acoustic. I have an old Korean Fender Strat and it feels radically different than the acoustic. Granted it's a cheap guitar, but the feel of the neck and the feel of fretting and picking is way different. I played around with a 2013 LP this weekend and it didn't seem like such a gap. The model you posted looks very interesting. I think I'll have a hard time finding one locally to test run. It looks like a hollow body, what difference musically would that bring over a traditional solid body? For instance, could I play AC/DC riffs or let's say heavy metal or would it sound odd? Would it do well for playing blues or country?

I apologize I don't know enough to ask this a better way in technical terms. I have to relate things to genre or styles of music rather than musical terminology.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:15 PM

I'll try to shed some light on things, taking your points one at a time:
  • If you're familiar with the Gibson neck "feel" - and if you've played enough Gibsons over your lifetime, acoustic or electric, other than the very earliest models you know it's a "Gibson" regardless of profile - you'll likely bond with the Midtown fairly quickly; it's one of several minute variations on the '60s Slim Taper design, similar to what you'd find on an LP/SG/335 boasting that designation, and if you were OK with the '13 LP this one probably won't be an issue...
  • Unless you're near a well-stocked Sam Ash - the one nearest to me (Edison, NJ) had one in ebony when I was there a couple weeks ago - you're not likely to find one in your local guitar emporium; as I said earlier, these were recalled, retrofitted, and dumped for sale at bargain prices, presumably to those firms who had the prospect of selling them in large volume and short order - especially since the identically-constructed upscale Custom version sells for nearly three times the price. I'd call AMS, tell them what you're after, and see if it's got possibilities - and if you order and it's not quite what you expected, TMK they have a fairly liberal return policy...
  • Construction-wise, it combines many of the salient features of both the LP and the 335, in a smaller (~14")/lighter package - the latter IMO a major asset if you're coming from a lifetime of playing acoustic; it's neither a full hollowbody (like an ES-175 or Byrdland) nor a true semi-hollow with a fitted/glued center block (like an ES-335), but rather carved from a block of mahogany and fitted with a maple top, much like the current "weight-relieved" LP's (FYI the LP Studio line is weight-relieved) - and, coincidentally, Orville's very earliest guitars/mandolins. The carving/chambering is, however, of necessity far more extensive on the Midtown than it is on the LP, lending an amplified tonal quality that I find combines most of the best characteristics of the 335 and LP - and you might want to string it a bit heavier than a typical modern electric (11's/12's with a wound G) to take advantage of the inherent woodiness - which leads me to...
  • Unless you're a hard-core headbanger (and the fact that you own a Collings OM makes me tend to believe you're not), you should be able to cover just about any genre of music for which you would use an electric guitar - provided, of course, you pair it with the right amplifier (another discussion entirely, and too detailed to get into here); while a semi-hollow provided the drive to many a classic-rock and blues recording over the last half-century, it can also get mellow enough for straight-ahead jazz (think John Scofield) and crisp enough for country (Chet Atkins was a Gibson endorser late in his career), and many players consider them the "Swiss Army" electric for their exceptional stylistic adaptability...
Hope this helps...
Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 PM

I love Gibson Les Pauls. Some good responses above. I'll just add that Studios are great guitars and US made pickups. Many of the studios come with the 490R / 498T pickups which, IMHO, sound great (I have a Studio). You can really drive those pickups.

Another option is a Tribute. I bought a used one last year with P90s and I find they're very nice guitars. A lot lighter than my Studio or Standard.

That's another thing to take into consideration, the weight. A lot heavier than a Strat or an acoustic.

The same thing comes into play with electrics - buying used can save you $.

It's exciting buying a Les Paul but there are so many versions out there it can be confusing and overwhelming.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Thanks Steve that was very helpful. When you say (~14") lighter, am I correct in thinking represents 14 ounces lighter?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM

No; the semi-hollow Midtown, at approximately 14" wide, is both smaller/lighter than a 16" ES-335 and lighter than a typical LP - individual instrument weights will vary...
Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Thanks a lot Steve. I've spent a lot of time reading reviews, trying to find a bad one and there doesn't seem to be any. Seems like a very versatile guitar and worth the money. Some complain the case is a bit cheesy but that's not a show stopper for me. I notice AMS only offers the one color and reverb is carrying the Pelham Blue which I find beautiful. I think reverb is selling a used model and tacking on 45 for shipping. Not sure about their reputation or return policy. I will be on the phone tomorrow calling every guitar store in town trying to find one to touch. I think you hit the nail right on teh head and I appreciate your insight.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Checked a variety of sources - seems the blue ones are all gone from the major retailers, and the flippers are already starting to scalp them on Reverb/eBay/CL; FYI zZounds and Same Day Music have both sunburst and ebony - to each his own, but I'd personally feel much better ordering from an authorized dealer with an established reputation and a solid return policy. BTW, if you have the bucks on hand I'd move ASAP; there were still some blue ones available as recently as last week from AMS/zZounds, when the current burst/ebony stock is gone, it's gone - and the successor model will set you back around $2500...
Old 07-08-2016, 07:21 AM

Those Midtowns would be great for you if you're looking for a Gibson. American Musical Supply still had them in black and vintage burst this morning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars