The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Questions for experienced archtoppers...

Hi All,

I posted recently in the general forum, and now I'm looking for more specific archtop advice. I'll bypass the long guitar-geek reasoning. In short, I am looking to add another guitar to my stable for more difficult acoustic gigs (outdoors in the cold, high stress gigs, etc.). I want it to play EASY, like an electric with a low action. I have an ESP TL-6 hybrid (like the Taylor T5) which is almost exactly what I want, but I play sitting down and the body is too small and the neck is too long and narrow. (As are ALL other hybrids I've seen/tried.) My questions are, if I can find a semi-hollow or an archtop with the right body and neck specs I'm looking for, will I be able to:

a) get the playability set up similar to a T5 or an electric, with low action, ease-of-play, etc.?

b) get an acceptable "acoustic" sound for coffeehouse material... meaning, I realize archtops are more designed for blues and jazz, but I'm hoping to tweak the sound more toward a flat top. Does not have to be perfect, just acceptable. If possible, how would I do this? Add a piezo? Use an acoustic simulator like the Boss AC-3?

c) Should I lean toward a semi-hollow vs a hollowbody, or does it matter?

FYI - I do not use a pick. I fingerpick or thumb-strum. I have a light touch and don't generate a lot of string oscillation (which would require a higher action).

Thanks for any advice! I have LITTLE-TO-NO experience with semi-hollows or hollow bodies, hence my questions for you all.

--Jim
2009 Ibanez AS73B w/Piezo
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 AM

I just concluded my search for an archtop that meets your requirements....low action, fast response, great acoustic tone when plugged in but also great hollow body jazz tones depending on how its eq'd. So I chose the Peerless Monarch after a ton of research. It has awesome acoustic tone plugged in or not. It is set up with acoustic strings and can capture that acoustic guitar tone very well as well as the jazz tones which are more mellow, full and rounded. You might call Lou at Guitarsnjazz. He was very helpful to me and a great guy to talk with.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks hotroad...I'll check that out. Will see if it fits my budget.

Oh...also, the Washburn HR-15 is another weird one where the nut is 43 and the spacing is 37. All the Ibanezes are 43mm with 35mm spacings... so even though the nuts are the same the feel the vastly different.
2009 Ibanez AS73B w/Piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops