The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

It's funny though (or unfortunate) that although I can read the notation and know what notes are played and tell you the duration, I can't play it without hearing it first. I can read notation, but not music. To me, that requires a musician.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's funny though (or unfortunate) that although I can read the notation and know what notes are played and tell you the duration, I can't play it without hearing it first. I can read notation, but not music. To me, that requires a musician.
Reminds me of one of my favourite music quotes.
At the beginning of an orchestra rehearsal, the conductor (forget who) held up the score and said "This is not the music. It's just some information about the music."

IOW, he knew that musicians often refer to sheets of notation as "the music". He's reminding them that it's only "some information" (i.e. by no means all the information). Tab is additional information, of course.
The "music" is what happens when you play. Music is sound, and nothing but sound, not dots or numbers on a page. You use the "information", but you also use your experience, your aural judgment and your technical skills.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write