The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Voice Leading With Chords

I've just come across this Brent Mason video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCq6lh9DMc

In the video he seems to really transition smoothly between the chords he's playing and creates an almost walking bass line. Does anybody know how he does this? Is it just that he knows so many chords (and their inversions) and how to use them that he can transition between them seemlessly?

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:26 PM

he is using drop 2 and drop 3 chord fingering techniques with (chord) inversions and voice leading. I use that form of chord playing extensively as well. My advanced book covers that technique in detail as I am (personally) a big fan of that style. Very common in the jazz world and used quite extensively by many blues players as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
he is using drop 2 and drop 3 chord fingering techniques with (chord) inversions and voice leading. I use that form of chord playing extensively as well. My advanced book covers that technique in detail as I am (personally) a big fan of that style. Very common in the jazz world and used quite extensively by many blues players as well.
Hi Dale

Thanks for your reply. Is your book available for purchase in the UK?

Cheers
Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Sorry, I just have it priced (shipping ) for Canada / USA
Sent you an email with a few PDF's to get you going

Last edited by Dalegreen; 04-13-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 PM

To break it down even further......the thirds and sevenths of of two changing chords should be half step or whole step away or stay and change its degree depending on the chord. All the other notes in the chord can be altered or omitted. For example Dmin7-G7.....the C(seventh degree of Dmin7) goes to B(third degree of G) the F of Dmin7 stays on to become the flat 7 of G7.

At this point you have clarity. People will hear the chords. Alter the rest of the notes as melody, mood, song, soloist, or imagination dictate.

Add water and repeat over and over......slowly. Slowly. Slow. ly. Slooow. leeee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write