The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Thanks Jim!
Maurer, thought it might be Tony's work. Not too familiar with Euphonon, but thought it might be an OM style...pretty flat up topside. I should think about a 14 fret sometime, but have resisted because I don't care for the flat shoulder style and pushed forward bridge. Might take some time to draw and think about it. Been pretty much out of my mind except for the 14 fret MJ.
Yes, I use wenge for the center of the braces and red spruce for the outside lams. It's relatively cheap, and also relatively abundant at the moment. It's brittle, and splinters easily, but rings like a bell, so is very good at transmitting vibrations. If it were abundant, I would probably try hormigo or my favorite, African Blackwood, but that is just too expensive for laminated bracing. Wenge works very well, though, so I'm satisfied using it.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Haans,

Another fantastic project. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW, I've only come across one Larson with all laminated bracing. It made for lovely X-rays!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Haans, I'll have to keep an eye on your threads in case you ever decide to build a 14-fret guitar with Larsonesque bracing. They don't have to be square shouldered. The Larsons did build slope-shouldered Euphonons in the circa 16" size. And here's a more round-shouldered guitar made by Frank Montuoro who also fancies the Larson traditions ..

Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Thanks John Thomas!
I knew Larsons made few guitars with total laminated braces on the top, but I wanted to try it. It is a whole different ball game, and the spruce bridge plate may compensate, don't know, don't speculate. I do like the laminated brace back though, which is something they did not do.
However, on this particular instrument I have adhered more to the top bracing except what I do from conviction. Was torn about the spruce bridge plate, and still may make one with a African blackwood plate at a later date. So many ideas, so little time...
Do you have a book of those X-rays, or is one coming out? They are stunning in their own right!
Maurer, I understand Frank makes some splendid guitars! If I make a 14 fret, the idea would be to somehow get the bridge more into a rearward position. Maybe this winter I will get to looking into that.
Here is the fingerboard bound. Notice that Larsons rabbited the F/B to accept the binding and left ebony at the bottom of the F/B for the glue joint to the neck.

Again, sorry for the fuzzy photo, my little point and shoot Leica doesn't really have a solid focus point at that close range.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Thanks John Thomas!
I knew Larsons made few guitars with total laminated braces on the top, but I wanted to try it. It is a whole different ball game, and the spruce bridge plate may compensate, don't know, don't speculate. I do like the laminated brace back though, which is something they did not do.
However, on this particular instrument I have adhered more to the top bracing except what I do from conviction. Was torn about the spruce bridge plate, and still may make one with a African blackwood plate at a later date. So many ideas, so little time...
Do you have a book of those X-rays, or is one coming out? They are stunning in their own right!
Haans,

Nice job on the Larsonesque fingerboard binding, too.

At some point the x-ray project will become a book. I've now x-rayed about 75 historically significant guitars and just started in on electrics (Fender sent me a reissue Strat and Tele). I just need to find the time.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Hope you get to do a Byrdland and Super 400, Dave Ray's favorite electric!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Haans, to whet your appetite for a 14-fretter, here's a vintage Larson Euphonon. Not quite as square/flat across the top. Its a nice shape I think ... apparently, Robert Bowlin fancies this guitar.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Hope you get to do a Byrdland and Super 400, Dave Ray's favorite electric!
I haven't yet x-rayed either of those models, but I did x-ray a 1924, Loar-signed L-5.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 AM

Maurer, quite like a Prairie State! Does whet my appetite, but hoping to be able to end up with more of a Stahl/GC shape with the soundhole moved down to where it belongs and the bridge moved back more to the center of the lower bout of the box. Tough getting there, will likely need a long F/B (20-21 frets?) and some kind of squashed shape. We'll see.
John, I wish your tour was coming to Minneapolis!
Managed to get the box together.

Relative size comparison, L-R, parlor, Stahl, GC.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Oh yeaa .. that parlor shape is just perfect! Again, love the purflings .. timeless artistry for sure.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 AM

Yes, that is the "parlor" shape.
Notice the Stahl is actually the parlor, but an inch wider. Should it be to my liking, I will make a new mold and refine the shape a bit.
Got the purfling and binding on yesterday and rough sanded.
Back bound and taped...

Top...

Close...

No abalama here.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Wow! That is some kind of fine Haans.
Love the top itself and then the way those green lines make the abalone just pop.
Quite the combination! You know, I'm starting to think you have a knack for this guitar building thing. ;-)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Frankly, I can't think of too many, if any, builders who capture the aesthetics of the early 1900s "small body" guitars .. especially Larson .. as well as you. I love your selections of red spruce tops .. Needless to say .. looking good!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Well, thank you guys...
Somebody's got to build them.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I played a vintage Stahl yesterday at Schoenberg. A real treat. Great sounding guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop