The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Default Thinking of the Zoom R16

Sorry for the semi-duplicate post, but I've done some research and I think what I want next is a stand alone multitrack digital recorder. Based on what I've read I'm thinking of the Zoom R16. After reading a bunch of reviews, this review sort of convinced me:

http://www.audiomidi.com/content/reviews/zoom_R16.aspx

I like the features and the price. I am a TOTAL newb on recording (except my H2).

Has anybody used one of these? For those experienced, does it look easy enough for a man of limited intelligence to use??

I will need at least one Mic, I THINK I can also use my H2 as a mic. Any suggestions on an affordable mic. Remember, this is just me my guitar, (maybe a buddy), in my basement, recording songs that only a few poor souls will hear, so I'm looking for the right mic for that. I got some good advice on buying some Nearfield monitors, but that may be next.

If I'm on the wrong path please tell me. Thanks.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Welllll, um I pulled the trigger. I guess I'll let you know how it goes.

Going to buy some SHS mics from a local mom and pop.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM

Great that you're stepping up your recording options, Roy. I'd also suggest a decent recording mic to go with this if you haven't ordered one already. If this unit has built-in Phantom power you can go with a decent condenser mic. If not, in the very least I would suggest a Shure SM57 or better.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM

That mastering feature sounds really, really intriguing!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Great that you're stepping up your recording options, Roy. I'd also suggest a decent recording mic to go with this if you haven't ordered one already. If this unit has built-in Phantom power you can go with a decent condenser mic. If not, in the very least I would suggest a Shure SM57 or better.
The local mom and pop has some SHS mics and he is giving me deal on a 2 pack. I like to support him when I can and I'm sure the mics are fine for what I'm doing.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

Last edited by Ranger1964; 03-15-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 AM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMR16?OVRAW=zoom%20r16&OVKEY=zoom%20r16&OVMTC=sta ndard&OVADID=32481612521&OVKWID=270276120521&OVCAM PGID=3259407021&OVADGRPID=13479849909&OVNDID=ND2

Link to the Zoom R16

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
The local mom and pop has some SHS mics and he is giving me deal on a 2 pack. I like to support him when I can and I'm sure the mics are fine for what I'm doing.

Hey Roy......

Is it the SHS S71 and S72 (instrument and vocal mic) pack? That's what I have been using actually. Should work nicely for you! Glad to hear that you can get them locally. Nice to support places in town when we can.....

Last edited by 66strummer; 03-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Hey Roy......

Is it the SHS S71 and S72 (instrument and vocal mic) pack? That's what I have been using actually. Should work nicely for you! Glad to hear that you can get them locally. Nice to support places in town when we can.....
Yep that's it exactly!!! Glad somebody has used them because I was going to buy them from him and hope they were Ok. Thanks.
WAIT!! Darn, now I can't blame the mics!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Yep that's it exactly!!! Glad somebody has used them because I was going to buy them from him and hope they were Ok. Thanks.
WAIT!! Darn, now I can't blame the mics!!

Well you're doing better than me. I started a thread asking about them and got no input at the time.......BUT Grenvilleter recommended them originally, so I figured he ought to know. He performs live and all. Good luck with the recordings!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD