The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Another humidity question

Hi, bear with me as I know a lot of questions have been asked regarding this subject.

I use a sponge in a soap case with holes punched in it as my humidifier. I have it placed by the neck joint. However, it never seems to dry out even though my hygrometer reading is in the high 30's.

Last night I suspended a sponge between the strings with clips inside the soundhole. Well the suspended sponge was bone dry this morning but the sponge in the case was still very damp. The good news was the case humidity reading was 45%.

I guess my question is about the soap case. Is it sufficient or do I need to rig up a soundhole humidifier like I did last night? Would more holes work better?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

I accidently posted this in the wrong place. How do I move it? Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foutzdj View Post
...I guess my question is about the soap case. Is it sufficient or do I need to rig up a soundhole humidifier like I did last night? Would more holes work better?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Hi foutzdj...
No perfect answer. If you are in a humidity-challenged area of the country, then the soundhole humidifiers (I'm assuming you are talking about Lifeguard, Oasis etc) will humidify the body while in the case.

With a tight fitting case circulation is low, so those are helpful, and the sponge in a bag or soap dish will service of the fingerboard and bridge from shrinkage (both unfinished). So it kind of depends on your case and how tightly it fits and allows air with humidity to circulate.

I use Kyser Lifeguards because they seal off the sound hole and allow all the humidity to be focused inside the body. This allows one to leave the guitars out in the room longer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM

LJ nailed it right on the head.

I live in the dessicated desert of So Cal and as time goes I am becoming quite well versed on the subject as keeping my babies humidified is a daily chore. we average 15 -20 % humidity.

You might try two humidifiers, one in the soundhole and one by the neck and see what happens

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattletrap View Post

You might try two humidifiers, one in the soundhole and one by the neck and see what happens
Thats the setup I have right now. I have a homemade humidifier in the soundhole that gets sucked dry everyday and a soapcase humidifier by the neck that never dries out. Thats the part I don't understand. How can one be bone dry and the other just as damp as the day before.

I realize I don't have to worry about this too much as I'm maintaining a decent but slightly low humidity in the case. I'm just curious as to why this is because I'd rather not use the soundhole humidifier (just personal preference)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification