The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Looking For Speakers....for Tremolux

I have an original 63 blonde tolex 2x10 cabinet for a tremolux...I want to find either original speakers or more likely the best matching "sounding" speakers to the original tone that was "Tremolux.".

My amp guru says to stay clear of the Italian made Jensens as he hears nothing but complaints about them....any suggestions??
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Head over to the Les Paul Forum and pose that question. They'll give you lots of options. As I recall, someone asked that recently.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 AM

This web site is a source for technical information and American made speakers, including vintage Jensen replicas.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

JBL-D110s if you can find them, were probably an extra cost option for the Fender Tremolux. I remember seeing a blonde, dark grill cloth Tremolux with a single 12" cabinet. It had a JBL D-120. Fender factory installed JBLs were painted red/orange. Aftermarket JBLs were painted white. I heard from one old JBL employee involved in the manufacture of the D series that the Fender versions had a wider magnetic gap to make them more resistant to thermal failure but that the consequence of that modification was slightly less efficiency.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Weber makes good vintage replacements. Not only that, but if you email him, Weber will give you a recommendation based on the amp you want to put them in and the tonal qualities you're looking to get from it. See Herb's link above for the Weber site.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Head over to the Les Paul Forum and pose that question. They'll give you lots of options. As I recall, someone asked that recently.

Bob
I know you from obver "there"...I got banned a while back from the nazi moderator...I did not obey the moderatror as it explains in this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI
Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 PM

I'd go to Ted Weber and ask him to make you a pair of 10" speakers based on the original '66 Jensen C10N but with the cone of a '66 Jensen C10Q. That's the ultimate 10" speaker, IMO. Ted used to call it the C10NQ. His C10Q is also awesome. He has differant model numbers for those speakers now...just call and talk to him.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 AM

thanks for that
Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 PM

You have got some good advice above. The Fender Amp Field Guide http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html will tell you what speakers originally came in that amp. You may already know, but in any event, knowing what speakers you are trying to emulate is a good start. I noticed that one of the types of speakers the Tremolux came with was Jensen P10Q's (the P" indicates they were alnico magnets rather than ceramic.) The original vintage P10Q's are great speakers!! Not so for the Jensen reissues, as you've already heard. My opinion is that Weber speakers are the best modern speakers to duplicate the design, materials and, most importantly, the sound of vintage speakers. On top of that Ted Weber is a delightful guy to deal with. Good people.

A while back, I found some vintage Jensen C10Q's, for my Vibrolux Reverb, on Ebay.

Good luck with your search.

Frankl

Last edited by Frank Roberts; 01-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification