The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 AM

I've had my Rainsong OM1000 for 15 years now; It has become a de facto baritone.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Rainsong H-OM, courtesy of Ted, and I play it far more frequently than any other acoustic in the house, and I have one that cost me more than four times what the Emerald cost, and has me considering selling everything else. In fairness, I played an Emerald, but it's body and my body couldn't peacefully coexist; while I loved the arm bevel, the size of that guitar had the back top edge hitting my ribs in an uncomfortable manner. While the Rainsong does not have the arm bevel, it seems to be a better fit for me. If they offered a rib bevel on the Rainsong, I'd consider it, it played and sounded very nice. I will not ever sell the Rainsong, though. In addition to all the CF benefits, it simply sounds fantastic, especially plugged in.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I can assure you that folks are not dumping their Rainsongs, or Blackbirds to buy Emeralds. In fact, if you do a search, you will see that there were twice as many Emeralds offered for sale on the forum than Blackbirds in 2016.

And yes, there are certainly more used Rainsongs for sale than Emeralds, but that has to do with the sheer number of guitars they sold over the last twenty or so years. FYI, Rainsong builds and sells more guitars every year than the total production of Blackbird and Emerald combined.....
Pretty concise answer to the OP's original premise.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-10-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I've had my Rainsong OM1000 for 15 years now; It has become a de facto baritone.
Interesting.
What gauge strings and tuning are you using ?
On a 25.5" scale I have tuned down to C-c with string range .056 thru .013.

Last edited by 121; 12-10-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
... I played an Emerald, but it's body and my body couldn't peacefully coexist; while I loved the arm bevel, the size of that guitar had the back top edge hitting my ribs in an uncomfortable manner...
This happens to me occasionally when I am sitting with my X20 and leaning over to do something. Doesn't bother me enough to change guitars, but enough to notice. This rib cut is actually worse on other guitars with sharper edges for me though.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-10-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
......What gauge strings and tuning are you using ?
On a 25.5" scale I have tuned down to C-c with string range .056 thru .013.
I use EJ-18's (heavy gauge at 59-14) for a my pseudo baritone, tuned C-c. If I am doing anything lower, like a dropped-D or Open G equivalent, I need to swap the 59 bass string for a 62, or it become too floppy. In my case, I'm using my Taylor 615 maple jumbo for this. The big body supports those lowered frequencies, and the maple adds a hint of crispness that my Taylor 416 baritone never quite had.

I'm sure the WS-1000 would handle these baritone duties this nicely, but I use it far more often than I play baritone and don't want to "confine" it to this specialty use.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Pretty concise answer to the OP's original premise.
Just noticed this. Thanks, Jon!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 PM

Not quite the story of this thread... I bought a H-DR1100N2 a few months ago and have been experimenting with strings. I decided to drop down to PB 11s to make it easier to play but was concerned about losing too much volume for an acoustic jam. I tried it out yesterday against my duo partner's HD-28V which is currently strung with Martin 80/20 12s. The RainSong had no problem keeping up volume wise and was a brighter overall tone (no surprise right?), but what did shock me was how much more I liked the RainSong's tone between the two. Maybe my ear is getting trained from playing the RainSong, but it is a great overall guitar even ignoring the practical aspects.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-17-2016, 12:12 AM

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I build my acoustic archtops with CF sound boards because of the tone I achieve, not because I'm building a guitar that can go from the Amazon to space without having to adjust the truss rod.

CF guitars and Spruce guitars don't sound the same, but I am not the least bit shocked you preferred the Rainsong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

My wife says that the SCGC is OK, but she prefers the sound of the Rainsong. And we all know they hear better than we do.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
My wife says that the SCGC is OK, but she prefers the sound of the Rainsong. And we all know they hear better than we do.
Your wife is in good company, jdinco. I can confirm that Rainsongs have been very well received in our store by some of the most discriminating guitar players in the LA/Hollywood area.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Well, I haven't owned a Blackbird but have owned a Black Ice Rainsong and have been able to play another Rainsong of my buddies now for several years. I didn't like the sound of my Black Ice, it was kind of honky sounding. It played nice, but sound wise it wasn't up to par. I just bought an Emerald X20 Artisian and I really like the tone of the guitar. All the tones and overtones are there. It's plays well softly and finger picking, it's nice for leads, and really shines when you push it hard... I play a lot of acoustic stuff from The Who and some guitars just wash out when strummed that hard (my Martin 000-28EC for example). I like the Emerald so much I'm probably going to order another one for the house here in Ohio. I bought the Emerald to take to our place in Mexico which has massive humidity shifts. It screws with the neck of my Gibson EC-20 so much I have to adjust the truss rod weekly when I'm there playing it.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Well, I haven't owned a Blackbird but have owned a Black Ice Rainsong and have been able to play another Rainsong of my buddies now for several years. I didn't like the sound of my Black Ice, it was kind of honky sounding. It played nice, but sound wise it wasn't up to par. I just bought an Emerald X20 Artisian and I really like the tone of the guitar. All the tones and overtones are there. It's plays well softly and finger picking, it's nice for leads, and really shines when you push it hard... I play a lot of acoustic stuff from The Who and some guitars just wash out when strummed that hard (my Martin 000-28EC for example). I like the Emerald so much I'm probably going to order another one for the house here in Ohio. I bought the Emerald to take to our place in Mexico which has massive humidity shifts. It screws with the neck of my Gibson EC-20 so much I have to adjust the truss rod weekly when I'm there playing it.
Glad you found a CF guitar that works for you, Puerto Player, and congrats on being able to sell your Rainsong in just one day. The fact that you were able to sell your Rainsong so quickly is proof that the brand is incredibly popular here, but we all have different needs. If you are looking for a spare X20, you might want to check the classifieds, there is a whole page of Emeralds for sale right now.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...archid=6523990

One of them, and X20 being offered by studioman001 is only a few months old.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Glad you found a CF guitar that works for you, Puerto Player, and congrats on being able to sell your Rainsong in just one day. The fact that you were able to sell your Rainsong so quickly is proof that the brand is incredibly popular here, but we all have different needs. If you are looking for a spare X20, you might want to check the classifieds, there is a whole page of Emeralds for sale right now.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...archid=6523990

One of them, and X20 being offered by studioman001 is only a few months old.

I'll probably have a custom one made to my favorite neck size. But I'll check the ads first and see what's there. I wanted to make sure the guitars had the tone I was looking for first before I invest in a custom. Lot's of great guitars out there to be had. No worries.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Guest 928

Ted;

Thank you for bringing my attention to the classifieds--as you note, there is a lot of activity with Emerald guitars. I was surprised at the number of FS and WTB notices, and equally surprised at the variety of instruments being moved around.

The ads sort of mirror my own Emerald history. I can't afford to buy every Emerald guitar, not all at once. But I can't resist trying them one by one as they are developed. I've sequenced through 3 Emerald nylon string guitars and now thinking of selling my X10-OSN in order to move toward a CF electric guitar.

I saw the same kind of shifting around when CA was moving through a number of innovative instruments. The Cargo led to the Ox, which led to.....and so forth. With Blackbird I moved from the Rider, to the Super OM, to the uke......And of course Rainsong's long history leaves its advocates with an incredible variety of instruments to chose from and no way of determine which is the best for a particular player until the ivarious nstruments have been played.

The CF market creates a lot of gas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber