The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-13-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Need a lighter case for 17" archtop

I've got a Comins arch top I'm using for gigs. During the warmer months here in Minnesota, I've got a fine old Levy's Hemp gigbag for it. For the winter...I've got a great case but it weighs nearly 20 lbs--that is, the guitar in that case is as heavy as my amp and it's wrecking my shoulder to carry it. I want a light hard case I can put the Small Dog fleece cover around and keep the axe nice and warm. I'm not finding anything online. Anyone else solve such a problem? The Levy gigbag is too big for the Small Dog cover to fit over and I'm worried the bag alone wouldn't keep out the cold.
Many thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 PM

I've got a Hoffee that is fantastic. I think it weighs less than ten pounds, but of course it cost quite a bit.

My cheapo TKL's (I have couple) are surprisingly nice, they probably weigh around ten pounds and are a fantastic value.

I also have a cheap gig bag. I figure that as long as I keep it on my back it's pretty safe, and I keep some pretty darn expensive instruments in it.

For the record, I used to have a high end Ameritage but it now sits in my garage, empty, weight being one of several problems I had with it.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 02-14-2016, 11:26 AM

A quick and dirty solution would be envelope the guitar in a rescue blanket, if the gig bag allows for it.
This is something I use when I know the guitars will be more that a few minutes at extreme temperature (low or high).
But then I use too large gig bags (on purpose. To me, a gig bag *must* be too large. Or any piece of luggage for that matter, the benefits are very useful)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Gator

I have a Gator case for my 17", stiff foam covered by canvas - it's pretty light.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. What sort of rescue blanket? I was just looking at the LLBean website and they have a travel blanket that folds quite flat. Since Montreal must get as cold as it (now, with climate changing) does here in St Paul, MN--that blanket idea might work. The Levys gig bag has great interior padding. I got it with the purchase of a (very) used archtop built by a local amateur. The guitar moved on. I kept the bag. Otherwise, I've a rigid-foam case for the parlor guitar I've been using for teaching. Didn't know Gator make one big enough for a 17" archtop. Hoffee. Too pricey for the limited use.
Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 AM

Paul : I use the sort of aluminium emergency blanket you find in outdoor stores. They are thin, since the purpose is to have it at hand when hiking or the like. Works quite well to protect from extreme temp, but don't let your guitar in your car in winter during more than half an hour, ok ? (don't let your guitar in a car anyway)
It's well known that winter in Quebec are… well, it's cold, but less known that summers can be *very* hot. Like 40 celsius. This is lethal for a guitar in a car under the sun.
That said, between home/car, and car/gig destination, there is most often not enough time to worry about the temperature, even extreme. Heater in winter, air cond in summer, just a few minutes for the car to reach a comfortable temp.
We had minus 25 celsius (with wind… this is tough) this saturday and I got two guitars at my weekly gig without any trouble. I use exclusively gig bags, the hard cases stay at home.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 PM

Jean-Paul,
That's just the added info I needed. It gets that cold here in Minnesota (or used to, before climate change...) and nearly so in Wisconsin, where I spent the first half of my life. One would think I'd have tried to solve this problem sooner... the issue of equipment weight gets bigger the older one gets, I guess. Your description of the blanket is a huge help--that's what I'll get before next winter!
Merci beaucoup!
Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Hiscox is broadly available, protective, and light at 10.8 pounds. The Jumbo models will fit an archtop with a 17" bout. Available on on Musicians Friend. Wait for a 15% discount and free shipping. Quite happy with mine.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Saga, has (or used to have) a 17" case that weighs little and is strong enough for carrying a guitar to the gig and back. I think it is/was called a Superior. No class to it, but I have used them on and off for a long time and they do what you want for a very reasonable a price. I think they are made in Canada.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:06 AM

Mooradian Covers and Bags. 1" thick foam padding all round.

Probag Texas.

Glenn Cronkhite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops