The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Default Collings CL Jazz - Bill and gang's best work! UPDATED with AT-17 Photo!!!

Own 30 guitars, vintage Gibsons and Fenders and some new small builder ones and this is the most beautiful one I own:

Also believe that it is Collings' most original instrument and will go down as masterwork! In spite of thin body, carved from a single piece of mahogany (think a dish with a top), it has a huge acoustic voice...as my son said at Christmas whilst visiting, " man, that thing rings like a bell!"

Have 6 Collings to chose from in my closet. So, I'm disclosing my personal bias.

Last edited by 57gold; 01-27-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 PM

Beautiful guitar. I really like Bill Collings' stuff. I'll bet that guitar sounds wonderful.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 PM

Default Collings CL Jazz - Bill and gang's best work!

Beautiful!
Any recordings you could share with us? [emoji4]

How long have you had this for?

Last edited by kkfan; 01-14-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Not sure...

How long I have had this, but I believe it was from the first NAMM show that introduced the CL Jazz, which was in @2008. Bill "went electric" in 2006.

Here is a demo of the CL Jazz by a better player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWzYvj13EWI\

Another photo, inside in the foyer:

Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Cool Collings bro.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Very nice!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Default Now lucky to own 2 Collings arch tops...

The new addition to the family at STL airport awaiting SWA flight to TPA:

Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57gold View Post
The new addition to the family at STL airport awaiting SWA flight to TPA:

OMG!! [emoji15]

That is GORGEOUS!

Congratulations!!

Which year AT-17 is that?

Would be great if you could maybe make a short sound clip or video clip of it being played.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 AM

It's a 2004 example.

Learned from Collings that last one was delivered in 2013, two in 2010 and none currently on the production books. Actually, were almost never on the production books as a regular model. Periodically they were special ordered.

In past, Bill would work on them himself as his own projects and this is one of those. He made it for the former owner who Bill knows and has ordered several guitars over the years.

Not taking orders and the fellow that has worked on more recent examples for Bill is tasked with AT-16 production.

Do not know how to do clips. Can comment on it: classic Collings clarity, attack, and balance string to string. Workmanship is stellar, woods outstanding, neck is big and round, intonation is perfect (used a strobe), playability with 13s is easy and I am an 80% electric player used to 10s on most of my guitars.

My wife's comments, "wow that is loud". Lady in the airport, "Want to tell my guitar playing boyfriend what kind of guitar that is. Is it electric, it sounds almost like one when you play the notes? (single string lines)"

Rings like a bell, completely lacks the wooly thump kind of tonality that some dark archtops have. Only guitar I have played that sounds similar is a big, blonde 1940s D'Angelico that Rudy in SoHo let me play when he opened his new store...except, this plays better.

Last edited by 57gold; 01-22-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Own 30 guitars, vintage Gibsons and Fenders and some new small builder ones and this is the most beautiful one I own:

Also believe that it is Collings' most original instrument and will go down as masterwork! In spite of thin body, carved from a single piece of mahogany (think a dish with a top), it has a huge acoustic voice...as my son said at Christmas whilst visiting, " man, that thing rings like a bell!"

Have 6 Collings to chose from in my closet. So, I'm disclosing my personal bias.
That is a magnificent looking instrument... Just beautiful, really.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It's a 2004 example.

Learned from Collings that last one was delivered in 2013, two in 2010 and none currently on the production books. Actually, were almost never on the production books as a regular model. Periodically they were special ordered.

In past, Bill would work on them himself as his own projects and this is one of those. He made it for the former owner who Bill knows and has ordered several guitars over the years.

Not taking orders and the fellow that has worked on more recent examples for Bill is tasked with AT-16 production.

Do not know how to do clips. Can comment on it: classic Collings clarity, attack, and balance string to string. Workmanship is stellar, woods outstanding, neck is big and round, intonation is perfect (used a strobe), playability with 13s is easy and I am an 80% electric player used to 10s on most of my guitars.

My wife's comments, "wow that is loud". Lady in the airport, "Want to tell my guitar playing boyfriend what kind of guitar that is. Is it electric, it sounds almost like one when you play the notes? (single string lines)"

Rings like a bell, completely lacks the wooly thump kind of tonality that some dark archtops have. Only guitar I have played that sounds similar is a big, blonde 1940s D'Angelico that Rudy in SoHo let me play when he opened his new store...except, this plays better.

Thanks a lot for the comments. Sounds like a real winner!

I hope SWA let you keep it in the cabin with you. Do you have a Calton case for it?

Congratulations once again!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
Thanks a lot for the comments. Sounds like a real winner!

I hope SWA let you keep it in the cabin with you. Do you have a Calton case for it?

Congratulations once again!
Came with Calton and rode first class...well, its SWA (so all the peanuts and soda one could want!).

SWA has always let guitars in overhead...was the reason I flew them. Need to be in A boarding group, for sure which means paying up or being a quick draw on the online check in site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops