The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
so i did get a used audiofire for a great price! woohoo!!

i'm bummed to learn that the firewire port doesn't supply power to my firewire HDD though... and I only have 1 firewire 400 port on my macbook..

slightly disappointed that it's not bus powered to other FW devices cos then it's not a very smart design.
Firewire thru put is Firewire thru put. Sound card to the hard drive to the computer.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM

????

Don't understand sorry =)
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM

I think Joseph is suggesting that you connect the Audiofire to the HDD to the Mac.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 PM

ooh.. mm how would I do that?

My FW HD only has 1 400 port, so does my mac.. and the echo has 2.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

I'd vote for anything made by MOTU.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Reiterating Echo Audiofire. Those units are ridiculous. I had the pleasure of using an Audiofire 12 a year or so ago and the thing basically worked with everything I ever threw at it. It just sits there and works (which is how I like it. Lots of uniformly shaped metal boxes sitting in a row like ducks and working like busy little bees). I never had driver issues or problems with not detecting i/o or any incompatibility. It never crapped out once.

As for the idea that converters impart a certain 'sound' and that more expensive converters sound better than less expensive ones? Doesn't really make much sense to me since all the converters I ever used basically sounded the same as they should do since their only job is to sample and resample synced to a clock. I'd be very worried if there was significant variance in the way converters 'sound' since that would imply some of them are broken or seriously flawed on a design level. Preamps? Thats a different story and those tend to fall more into the line of 'you get what you pay for' but you do pay *alot* to get that last 5% if you know what I mean. For alot of people the difference isn't worth the huge bump in price but if you got the flash why not eh? I was all excited for the Focusrite soundcards because their red series pres are really nice but they don't put those into the Saffire thats for sure. They would have to add another '0' to the price if they did that.

Last edited by Pokiehat; 03-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD