The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Wow, that was quick....I'll listen to them tonight.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Default Build

Beautifull work there
Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Beautifull work there
Thanks....

Greg
Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Default Gwaltney Guitar Review

I received my Gwaltney 000-13 right before the end of the year and now have had enough experience with it to give a review.

Esthetics 10

First of all I love the smell of the cocobolo it just smells so sweet and fragrant to me. The cocobolo choices for the back and sides are stunning and the figured maple bindings are a perfect complement against the transition to the sinker redwood top. The Cocobolo headplates with its natural grain give it an artistic personality and character I haven't seen in other headpieces

The Sinker Redwood's Mars-like warmth and dark tints with luminescent highlights on the edges came from a special billet that Greg used for a number of builds. After hearing Henderson's Gwaltney a year ago I was fortunate enought to snag one of his last pieces!

The Cocobolo Rosette is beautiful, love the maple accent it perfectly ties into the bindings. Even though it is a light color it doesn't over power the cocobolo. A business acquaintence who saw it yesterday summed it up, "I didn't know guitars could look that beautiful"

The sound: 10

To me getting the resonant bass is something I wanted, It doesn't over power the mids or highs but allows you to really feel the notes vibrate. Now comparing the mids and highes to my Larrivee mahogany and Spruce top, they are warmer, full, lush and just surround the chords and blend with the bass notes. The sound to me is happy and allows me to express emotion very easily. The notes kind of linger. They have a bell like quality and sustain/ring that is magical. The sound ports make the experience for the player uncomparable to a guitar without them. The sound envelopes you. Its almost as if the sound matches the smell if thats possible!
http://alonetone.com/rickph/tracks/rells-song

Playability: 9

The guitar is effortless to play, love the feel of the neck, just fits my hands perfectly and bar chords are just easy to play. The separation of the strings allow for effortless finger or flat picking. The guitar is a little heavier than others I have played likely due to the double sides and carbon fiber rods that give the cantilever neck, which floats off the top, its support, but that is the slight cost for producing the Gwaltney's amazing sound and the weight actually feels good to me.

Custom Guitar Experience: 10

Greg Gwaltney http://www.gwaltneyguitars.com/ is a class act. The experience couldn't have been more fun. Always available to answer questions, post update pics, collaborate on design decisions and have a good time, his love for his craft shows and I am grateful for meeting him through Henderson Nuuhiwa here in Hawaii.

Get One

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"
Jimi
Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Excellent review, Rick... makes me want a Gwaltney now
Enjoy your beaultiful guitar!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcozma View Post
Excellent review, Rick... makes me want a Gwaltney now
Enjoy your beaultiful guitar!
Thanks Mike, I'm sure Greg would be happy to make you one to go along with your Stehr

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"
Jimi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop