The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Default PA Speaker stands

If I get cheap speaker stands am I going to be sorry? Either way, does anyone have any recommendations? I received a $100 Amazon gift cert for Christmas and am hoping this will be enough for a pair of stands, shipped, and maybe a carrying bag for them as well. The speakers are small: 18 lb, 8" 2-way EV ZX1's. I'll probably convert these to monitors eventually though.

Put another way: have any of y'all purchased truly regrettable speaker stands that you had to replace?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM

You can get a pretty decent set of stands for $100. Samson makes a set which I have (I think they're called LS2's). They work well for me, but they are as cheap as I would dare go. The most important thing to know is how much weight your stands can handle. My Samsons I think handle about 50-55 lbs.Way more than you'd need for an 18lb speaker. Yes, the way they're constructed is important, and you can get more rugged stands for more money, but even on a budget you can find a decent set that will serve you well. I would actually recommend these:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dle?sku=451079 Every Ultimate stand I have bought has been good quality. As for stands I don't like, personally, I'd stay away from the On-Stage stands. I've never used their speaker stands, but they're mic stands IMHO are CRAP. My dissatisfaction with them is enough to make me steer clear of anything else with that brand name on them. Good luck.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing

Last edited by oldgeezer; 01-14-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 PM

Make sure that the size of the poles matches the size of the speaker support cup. I learned this the hard way. Ultimate Support has an adapter built into their stands to accept both size cups. (But you won't be able to buy a pair of them for $100, unless you find a great deal on a used set)

Joel Stehr 8 String - Figured Myrtle / German Spruce
Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934
2-Russian made classical - Rosewood/Spruce
Mervyn Davis Smoothtalker - Cedar/Kiaat
Kinnaird Student Build SJ Sitka Spruce / Black Wanunt
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
If I get cheap speaker stands am I going to be sorry?
Hi Mike...
If you don't need to run heavy cabinets really high in the air, then the inexpensive ones work fine.

We have a pair of older stainless ones (as opposed to the lighter composite or aluminum ones)...and we fly speakers 8-9 feet off the ground...you wouldn't be able to do that with light stands. Most of them only extend to about 6 feet and they are getting stretched at that point.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM

I had a pair of Ultimate Support stands for my EV SX300s that I liked. They were sturdy, light and well made. I don't remember the model number but the one below is similar.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM

I have a pair of speaker stands from Musician's Friend. Since I have a Passport P.A. system, and its speakers are pretty light, I didn't see the reason to buy a heavy-duty speaker stand.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

My Speakers stands are cheap Carvins. I've had them for 5 years and the only complaint is the thumb screw that tightens the legs stripped out on both. I fashioned something from a hardwares store and it works. I would think the cheapest stands in the world will hold the Zx1-90s, they're less than 20lbs a piece. I use the SX100's for my mains (32lbs.) and used to have Carvin PM15's (45lbs) and my stands were adequate. There are some things I'm willing pay more for, but speaker stands isn't one of them. Plus, for me lighter is better. (but then I also use On-stage mic stands)

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
If I get cheap speaker stands am I going to be sorry?
Yes.

When I bought my last PA system about 7 years ago, I was going to cheap out on the stands, but the salesman convinced me otherwise. Knowing that I had very little money left after buying the PA and speakers, he sold me a pair of Ultimate speaker stands used from their rental department. They are still holding up very well.

I've seen some of my friends buy the cheapies, try to fix them as they fell apart, then buy new cheapies again. It's just a philosophy I guess. For most things, I try to buy the best choice, for the best price, and expect the best performance. Keep your receipts.

I guess though it all depends on how often you'll use them. If you're gigging 5 nights a week, get the best stands. Five gigs a year, maybe get the cheapies.

Enjoy the day.
Grey
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I used Ultimate Stands for several years and they are very nice. If you strip a bolt or any of the pieces get damaged in any way they send you replacement parts for free. (At least they used to.)

Matt
Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 PM

"Welcome, Matt," he said flatly. (I've always wanted to say that!) Glad to have you with us.

I've used cheapie speaker stands with good results, but then I've been very careful with them and have not expected them to do or be something they were not meant to do or be. I highly prefer the Ultimate stands, and have gladly paid extra for them the last few times I've bought some.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification