The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Default K & K In A 12 String?

I have a 1968 Martin 12-20 12 string guitar with a Flex mic in it. I'm thinking of putting a K & K pure western mini in it. I have a K & K in my Martin 000 and really love the way it sounds.

Will the K & K work well in a 12 string?

Yes I will remove the flex mic.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

I have a K&K in my Takamine F-395S and it works great.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 AM
It's later than it was...

The K & K PWM in my Taylor 555 works just fine. No worries...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a '71 Guild F-212XLNT that I tried several undersaddle pickups in over the years, but Guilds have so little break angle across the bridge that none of them ever worked very well. I put the K&K minis in last year and was absolutely delighted. I'm going to yank the B-Band A2.2 out of my Taylor 6 string and put a pure western in that one as well, as soon as I can afford a few days' downtime...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM

OK you guys have convinced me I will be getting another K & K for my 12 string.

My next question. Since the K & K pure western minis are that good a pickup, why do none of the major guitar manufactures offer them as an A/E option?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 AM

I think K&K is a tiny company compared to the likes of B-Band or Fishman. With the "buzz" I'd be surprised if K&K doesn't strike some sort of deal before too long. I wonder if QC will suffer. I don't know the numbers but I bet it'd be a heck of a ramp up from what I think they produce (as aftermarket devices) to being a supplier to a major guitar manufacturer. I wonder how the lack of an onboard barndoor setup hurts the "flash" appeal.

Just as a thought, have you considered leaving the FlexMic and just adding the K&K? One of the K&K options is essentially that... a mic and SBT dual source setup. It might turn out you like it.

Ed
Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 PM

I have thought about it and I might. Although lately I've found I like to keep it simple. I have a K & K in a Martin 000X1 and it sounds great straight into either my amp or a direct box. Hard to improve on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 PM

In all honesty, I'm not real big on mics in guitars. It just seems like a bad place to me... like trying to listen to music from inside a speaker cabinet. (grin) OTOH, lot's of people use 'em.

I agree that the Pure Western all by itself sounds better than I need... better than I make the guitar sound.

Ed
Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM

I've installed K&K minis in about a dozen guitars, plus a mando and even an oud. My two 355s have them, and I thought they were really doing the job until I recently listened to a demo that I did where I switched from the 355 to my Variax acoustic 700... the sound on the Vax 700 was far superior to the sound I was getting from the 355s. First thing I'll be doing is a radical reconfiguring of the equalization profiles on the 355s, then re-record the demo and see how it stands up to the Vax.
To be specific, the Vax has a ton more dynamic range, is cleaner and more even across the spectrum, tighter bass, purer overtones in the trebles, etc. The K&Ks tone was very flat, yet at the same time 'strident' in comparison. Now, I know that this comparison is somewhat 'apples to oranges', but I do hope to get my K&K equipped 355s closer in line with the tone of my Vax. If that doesn't work out, I'll be looking into aquiring a T5 12 string (or 2), and will have two K&K equipped 355s for sale...
(Just as an afterthought; these instruments are used primarily onstage, in a solo show, where I switch instruments and tunings from song to song; hence my need for consistency in tone and volume when changing from one guitar to another.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification