The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Default Another K&K ?? Preamp Preference

I use K&K minis, but have not used a preamp. I have felt the need (for stage work) to add the preamp. I don't know which model to get....Is there a need or reason to go with the Pure XLR over the Pure (beltclip model)? Does the XLR add anything other than the XLR out and Phase...and are these "must haves?" I may not understand the phase correctly, but would it really be necessary if there is an impedance match between components? RE: the XLR, if I have not been using any XLR fitted devices...is there a real necessity for this feature? Have I missed anything else?
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
I use K&K minis, but have not used a preamp. I have felt the need (for stage work) to add the preamp. I don't know which model to get....Is there a need or reason to go with the Pure XLR over the Pure (beltclip model)? Does the XLR add anything other than the XLR out and Phase...and are these "must haves?" I may not understand the phase correctly, but would it really be necessary if there is an impedance match between components? RE: the XLR, if I have not been using any XLR fitted devices...is there a real necessity for this feature? Have I missed anything else?
Hi Jeff...
The Pure XLR brings several advantages over the belt pack preamp - XLR output for interfacing with the snake in direct out situations (balanced), and gain control as well as volume - phase reverse and it will run on phantom power when hooked to a mixer which provides phantom power.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Sounds good, I suppose the additional bucks spent for the PURE may be worth it in the longhaul.

Thanks Larry!
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Sounds good, I suppose the additional bucks spent for the PURE may be worth it in the longhaul...
Hi bubba...
As owner of both standalone and belt pack preamps, if I can only have one, it will be a stand alone.

My belt pack only comes out a couple times a year and it's for quick-n-dirty gigs (open mics, small gigs or places I only show up and do one or two songs). It sounds really good...and my stand alone sounds fabulous.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification