The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-25-2023, 04:37 PM

Default low tension strings-tenor ukulele

looking to purchase low tension strings for a tenor ukulele. I have noticed daddario has them marked. Kind of new to ukulele strings so, not really knowing what I am really getting.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:10 AM

My Martin TK1 came with nylon Martin strings. They were ok. I bought a set of brown Worth tenor uke strings from a fellow AGF member. They feel and sound much better than the Martin strings.

"Low tension" isn't something I normally worry about with ukulele or classical guitar strings.
Old 08-26-2023, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My Martin TK1 came with nylon Martin strings. They were ok. I bought a set of brown Worth tenor uke strings from a fellow AGF member. They feel and sound much better than the Martin strings.

"Low tension" isn't something I normally worry about with ukulele or classical guitar strings.
I was going to recommend the Worth Browns as well. I strung a tenor Martin for a student and they seemed to be lower tension.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-27-2023, 06:51 AM

thanks for the replies
Old 08-29-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

In my limited experience the Aquila New Nygut feel lower tension than the Worth strings.
I think it will take some experimenting to find the right strings.
Good luck and have fun.
Best,
Tom
Old 08-29-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
In my limited experience the Aquila New Nygut feel lower tension than the Worth strings.
I think it will take some experimenting to find the right strings.
Good luck and have fun.
Best,
Tom
Thanks Tom, I will give them a try. The Worth strings I would have to import to Canada. With the exchange and shipping, its the same price of the strings.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default low tension strings-tenor ukulele

Hey Slooky,
Remember that if you get the 63 cm Worth strings they should be cut in half- effectively giving you two sets per pack. So they are not as expensive per set as they seem if that makes sense. I know that some of the Oasis strings are actually double as well. There may be other makers who do the same.
The Worth strings do sound great but feel higher tension than the Aquila- at least to me.
I hope that’s helpful.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Hey Slooky,
Remember that if you get the 63 cm Worth strings they should be cut in half- effectively giving you two sets per pack. So they are not as expensive per set as they seem if that makes sense. I know that some of the Oasis strings are actually double as well. There may be other makers who do the same.
The Worth strings do sound great but feel higher tension than the Aquila- at least to me.
I hope that’s helpful.
Yes quite helpful! I played a couple of ukulele's that had the Aquila strings on them and they felt great. It isn't so much the price of the strings. It was the price of getting them delivered plus exchange rate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments