The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Default A microphonic test

Recently, I did a totally un-"scientific" test. Using just my iPad and Garageband, I wanted to know how microphonic were my guitars plugged in. One of them has the LR Baggs Anthem SL and the other were my Ovation guitars. To be clear, one of my Ovations (the Folklore) had a pickup change just recently, because the one with it at the time I bought it was unbalanced, especially a very high Low E. Instead of actually playing the guitars, I just sang through them, just to see how much outside noise they were picking.

Obviously, I expected the LR Baggs to sound more microphonic because, well, it has a condenser. And just as expected, I sounded quite clear with the Anthem. The thing is that the microphony of the Ovations and each of their systems sounded differently, more than I thought. The Ovation Legend, with the OP-24, picked just a little of my voice; the Ovation Ultra, with the OP-Pro, even less than the Legend. On the other hand, my Folklore, with the FET system, picked a LOT more than the other two. Of course, not quite as much as the Anthem, but my voice was way louder than with the other Ovations. I don't know if it was the new pickup of the preamp, but it was quite microphonic for a "piezo."

Have you donesuch an experiment? What would my findings reveal to you?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification