The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2020, 12:05 AM

I own the Stage DI and the MS-2. I do like having a unit that can be powered by Phantom and/or battery. I don't know if the Bix has that flexibility.

I owned the Alix. I would say that what is unique about the Sunnaudio preamps is the way they approach EQ. They effect different frequencies than other products. I don't want to get into specifics, but when I boost the Treble knob on the Sunnaudio units, It's more effective and musical than other brands.

If you need Mid control, Solo Boost, Mute, then hold out and get the bigger, better equipped unit. If you use two guitars, the MS-2 is great for having two guitars plugged into it and having each set independent of each other.

I may of made it clear that the Sunnaudio gear are my favorite, but the Grace is also higher on my list of many other preamps I have tried. I haven't tried them all, but almost.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-21-2020, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I owned the Alix. I would say that what is unique about the Sunnaudio preamps is the way they approach EQ. They effect different frequencies than other products. I don't want to get into specifics, but when I boost the Treble knob on the Sunnaudio units, It's more effective and musical than other brands.
The bass and mids are also great. There's something really special about the Sunnaudio EQ. On paper, the Grace preamps have more power, but in actual use, just listening, the Sunnaudio's EQ is extremely useful and musically effective.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The bass and mids are also great. There's something really special about the Sunnaudio EQ. On paper, the Grace preamps have more power, but in actual use, just listening, the Sunnaudio's EQ is extremely useful and musically effective.
Doug have you ever measured the Sunnaudio EQ curves?

Could you please capture the IR of
1) Bass max cut
2) Bass max boost
3) Mid max cut
4) Mid max boost
5) Treble max cut
6) treble max boost

If you send me the files I can make a « summary » spectrum like this mackie mix12 for example:
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-22-2020, 11:51 PM

Buy them both, keep the better, return the lesser!
Old 12-23-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Buy them both, keep the better, return the lesser!
This is not something you can easily do when you don't live in the US.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-23-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
This is not something you can easily do when you don't live in the US.
A little longer time in the mail but still doable
Old 12-24-2020, 06:57 AM

Trust me: you can't do It living in Brazil. Dazzo Pickup took 8 months to arrive at my home. That because It wasn't taxed. If It were, It would probably take longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
A little longer time in the mail but still doable

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 12-24-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm leaning toward the Sunn Audio MS-2 to go with the Dazzo system I've just ordered. Being that the Grace Felix is only $300 more than the Sunn MS-2, can anyone comment on why I should consider the Grace Felix over the Sunn Audio MS-2? Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-24-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm leaning toward the Sunn Audio MS-2 to go with the Dazzo system I've just ordered. Being that the Grace Felix is only $300 more than the Sunn MS-2, can anyone comment on why I should consider the Grace Felix over the Sunn Audio MS-2? Thanks!
Owning both and liking both a lot I only see one reason for spending the extra cash for the Felix : You may want to use the XLR-input which is studio-grade quality, for an external mic or home recording purposes. If that's not the case, you will not regret your purchase on the MS-2.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Rarely mentioned, one reason the SunnAudio gain stage sounds so rich is that it has a wider frequency response than others. Not only is it linear, but goes lower and higher, into regions you might not think make a difference, and paired with the right Dazzo, you can let more low frequency through. Marc was always telling me how good they sound with subwoofers. Maybe he'll elaborate.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Trust me: you can't do It living in Brazil. Dazzo Pickup took 8 months to arrive at my home. That because It wasn't taxed. If It were, It would probably take longer.
wow, that is a pain in the butt!
Old 12-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Okay, coming from a place of complete ignorance on these two devices because of not having any direct experience with them, but having looked at the specs from both websites, and gotten some quick opinions from you good folks out there, I've surmised the following:

Sunn Audio MS-2 -- A high-quality, good-sounding, and versatile preamp that sounds musical, especially when combined with the input of a Dazzo pickup set. The Mid-Side Decoder which can be used with an optional internal mic combined with a pickup of a player's choice can offer up a stereo soundscape that can sound magnificent. The MS-2 only offers 8-volt to 14-volt phantom power for internal condenser guitar mics. The MS-2 can be powered by a wall-wart, 48-volt phantom power or a 9-volt battery.

Grace Design Felix -- If a player is looking for a two-channel preamp of ultimate quality that offers just about everything a player could want in shaping and controlling their acoustic-guitar amplified tone, this is it. The Felix has no Mid-Side Decoder but I think that is something most players wouldn't use in a live venue (a bar/pub floor layout) situation anyway. It also has full 48-volt and 12-volt phantom power for full-size and internal condenser mics. Unit powered by wall-outlet power only.

To summarize: If I was to buy one of these units for usage with my upcoming Dazzo system or a Trance Amulet M-VT system, or any SBT or UST system, and money wasn't a problem, I'd likely opt for the purchase of the Grace Design Felix. I'm receptive to any comments on these devices and would like to read your opinions, pro, and con, about them that could influence my choice on selecting one or the other. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-27-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Okay, coming from a place of complete ignorance on these two devices because of not having any direct experience with them, but having looked at the specs from both websites, and gotten some quick opinions from you good folks out there, I've surmised the following:

Sunn Audio MS-2 -- A high-quality, good-sounding, and versatile preamp that sounds musical, especially when combined with the input of a Dazzo pickup set. The Mid-Side Decoder which can be used with an optional internal mic combined with a pickup of a player's choice can offer up a stereo soundscape that can sound magnificent. The MS-2 only offers 8-volt to 14-volt phantom power for internal condenser guitar mics. The MS-2 can be powered by a wall-wart, 48-volt phantom power or a 9-volt battery.

Grace Design Felix -- If a player is looking for a two-channel preamp of ultimate quality that offers just about everything a player could want in shaping and controlling their acoustic-guitar amplified tone, this is it. The Felix has no Mid-Side Decoder but I think that is something most players wouldn't use in a live venue (a bar/pub floor layout) situation anyway. It also has full 48-volt and 12-volt phantom power for full-size and internal condenser mics. Unit powered by wall-outlet power only.

To summarize: If I was to buy one of these units for usage with my upcoming Dazzo system or a Trance Amulet M-VT system, or any SBT or UST system, and money wasn't a problem, I'd likely opt for the purchase of the Grace Design Felix. I'm receptive to any comments on these devices and would like to read your opinions, pro, and con, about them that could influence my choice on selecting one or the other. Thanks!
MS2 has 2 separate effects loop for each channel. You can apply an effect to one channel or you can apply an effect to both channels, depending on which loop you use. The Felix has one effects loop and applies effects to both channels.

Felix will run a full blown condenser mic for vocal or in front of a guitar. This is cool, but isn't useful to me as I can plug a condenser mic that requires 48v into my Acus or into a board mic pre.

Here is a connection example. It shows it better than I can explain it. I can't get it to load onto the forum for some reason, probably user error. You could substitute guitar #2 for bass in this example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12WQ...qrijLj1Aa/view

Last edited by loco gringo; 12-27-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:56 PM

I want to add one feature in the MS-2 that could be important to many users: Several DIP switches let you tailor the unit to your personal needs, the most important to me being the solo boost in pickup channel only. I use to dial in as much internal mic as possible on channel 2 (up to 50 %) and let the solo boost only boost the pickup.
I wish my Felix had the same feature.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification