The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
I thought that the tone controls are kind of interactive. As you increase base it scoops the mids..Same thing happens when you increase trouble? That’s at least what somebody else told me.
Wishful thinking at best. It would be too hard to notch out specific frequencies with that technique. And the K&Ks are notorious for multiple mid problem frequencies! And this ain't second hand news. I've bought 2 sets of K&Ks and some guitars I bought came with them already installed. I have removed all of them (total of 5)!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
…the K&Ks are notorious for multiple mid problem frequencies!
Hi R-a-b

Not notorious, just accused by some. K&K, under saddle piezo, or magnetic pickups all have ‘undesirable’ characteristics which are best dealt with via EQ. None of them are flat, nor more-perfect than the other. And each has it’s advocates and it’s opponents…and all of them have solutions (including some people switching them out).

As an occasional sound tech, I’d rather have someone show up with a K&K Pure mini than any cheap guitar with and undersadde with a barn-door. But when you are being a sound tech you learn to deal with what shows up, not what you wish showed up.

K&K are more bass-prone, but other pickups often lack low-end. Piezo undersaddle are caustically trebly - but even a moderately good preamp fills them out. Mags are kind of “meh” sounding, but they are harder to make feedback. You will not likely be happy with any of them out-of-the-box. And thankfully we have dozens of options to improve them.

If I have to go analog, then I prefer the Sound Board Transducers (like K&K Pure mini) because I can mold them into a decent sound more easily…and quickly. In fact, I attribute K&K Pure Mini pickups for shortening the amount of work sound techs have to do at open mics, in Worship Team situations, and other live situations. I keep at least one extra preamp in my gear bag for people who show up with a K&K Pure Mini (or undersaddle piezo) that I can wire in in 30 seconds and adjust into something which will sound more like a guitar than it did when it walked on stage.

Now days I use a ToneDexter (a digital solution).

As to the original question of muting K&K (or any other pickup or guitar-chain), many solid preamps have a mute switch or button.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Once again, Larry nails it. ^^^^^ this.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
RedEye sounds great, Grace is always fine, I would add the Fishman Platinum Pro to the list.
But does the Fishman platinum pro impedance work with the KK?
Old 12-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Yes it works, I noticed no audible impedance mismatch.
I have various preamps at hand (see below) and being a multi-instrumentalist sometimes need quite a bunch on stage. Once bought the Fishman Pre for a sub and didn't expect too much (after using Pendulum SPS-1, Grace Felix, SunnAudio, RedEye for years). I was very surprised how good it sounded when trying it with various guitars / pickups. Did a great job in amplifying my K&K equipped D 28 Authentic. Especially loved the high pass filter, notch, presence and even dialed in a bit of compression.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-13-2020, 10:31 AM

I think Larry above summed it up pretty
Good. All pickups have their quirks.
And we just tend to compromise
the "my guitar only louder" grail if you will.
Whatever works for you will work
for you. For me it's the sunrise.And I'll add
the word " currently " to that sentence.
As I know I'll try something different eventually.
Rabbit hole I beleive is the term generally used around
Here...ha!!
Old 12-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
But does the Fishman platinum pro impedance work with the KK?
Hi pa…

It works great!

Too much is made of the impedance of preamps with K&K. Most of the modern (last 15 years) preamps are a good match for the K&K. None are deadly, or horribly mis-matched.

Side effects would just be a bit too much bass (example) which is why they put tone controls on preamps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-18-2020, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. So I’m guessing the impedance on the bags venue is OK then?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification