The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Default Anything to make vocals sound better through a combo amp?

I'm not looking for a vocal processor/harmonizer/doubler, etc. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that anyone uses to make their vocals sound 'better'? Something along the lines of EQ, compression, etc. to get rid of the boxy, muffled sound when running vocals through a combo amp (in this case a I've tried a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and that pedal didn't do anything aside from making my vocal sound thin and hollow, and empty out my wallet (it got retuned the next day).

I'm using an SM58 through an SWR California Blonde.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I'm not looking for a vocal processor/harmonizer/doubler, etc. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that anyone uses to make their vocals sound 'better'? Something along the lines of EQ, compression, etc. to get rid of the boxy, muffled sound when running vocals through a combo amp (in this case a I've tried a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and that pedal didn't do anything aside from making my vocal sound thin and hollow, and empty out my wallet (it got retuned the next day).

It's probably best to start with why the vocals sound the way they do right now. There's no particular reason that that amp should make vocals muffled and boxy (or that a Mic Mechanic would make vocals thin and hollow). Are you sure that the tweeter on the amp is working properly and/or that the tweeter attenuator is set to flat? What about the SM58? Does it sound good, work properly, played through other systems?

Louis
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 PM

Better mic. Or, consider a vocal processor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 06:05 AM

Sounds like Louis has a good suggestion.

You might try different mics as well. I always used a SM58. I tried a friend's Sennheiser 835 and it made a big difference for me. Not saying one is better than the other, just different with my voice through my amp.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Make sure the mike, cable and amp are all in proper working order. Sometimes it is the obvious stuff we overlook Before you spend $$

I have what I think is a similar set-up. An older Genz-Benz Shennandoa.

I have run my $100 Audix mic straight in, or into my Voice Live play acoustic with fine results either way. My crappy vocals definitely sound better with the pedal, just using basic vocal processing.

What about the acoustics of the room or space you are playing in???

Have to tried recording directly out of the amp just for the heck of it?

RPK
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK View Post
Make sure the mike, cable and amp are all in proper working order. Sometimes it is the obvious stuff we overlook Before you spend $$

I have what I think is a similar set-up. An older Genz-Benz Shennandoa.

I have run my $100 Audix mic straight in, or into my Voice Live play acoustic with fine results either way. My crappy vocals definitely sound better with the pedal, just using basic vocal processing.

What about the acoustics of the room or space you are playing in???

Have to tried recording directly out of the amp just for the heck of it?

RPK
Everything works. It's not the room, etc. I just think the amp is way better for guitar than it is vocals, and looking for a relative easy fix to have more flexibility on the sound/EQ of the vocals.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:18 AM

I have a good mic precamp(focusrite isa one), I notice an improvement in clarity when I run my mic through that then into my acoustic amp. Could be worth testing a mic pre out (if you haven't already) you then have one for recording purposes which was the reason I got mine in the first place.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:

If you are 100% certain your mic cable is in good working order I would next try a different mic and and or a little reverb on the vocals.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Yep, I would try a different mic. I sound a lot better thru my Shure Beta 87 than my SM58! However, I sound better thru the SM58 with my Roland Street Cube than my more expensive Sennheiser 945.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM

If the TC Mic Mechanic made you sound worse there was definitely something wrong somewhere else, it's the nearest thing to a "magic box" for vocals I've ever heard (along with the other TC stuff using the same algorithms). I don't have one but will probably buy one soon.

The SM58 is not the best mike for natural sounding vocals, it's designed to cut through a loud rock band not accurately reproduce the vocal in quieter styles. It's also probably the most faked mic on the planet so it's possible you have one of those and they sound awful, thin and weak.

The limited frequency response of the 'Street Cube' is likely well served by the presence peak of the SM58, a better rig will allow the benefits of the better mic to shine.

I use SE Electronics SE-H1s for vocals almost exclusively (and I have 12+ vocal mics of about 6 or 7 different kinds in the mic box including an old, road worn SM58). The H1 is a condenser and is smooth and flattering, way sweeter sounding than the SM58, cheap too at £100 street. You'd need phantom power though which I don't think the Fishman supplies.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no phantom power on that amp... So any condenser mic won't work without an external preamp or external phantom power injector.

I had one of those beasts a long time ago, and it was an awesome amp for guitar and upright bass. I can't remember ever really putting vocals through it. I would play around with the tweeter level control in the back if you haven't already and see if that helps. I would also experiment with rolling off some of the low end and experimenting with the enhancer control if there is one.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 PM

Moving to a Sennheiser 935 mic seemed to make a big difference to me.
Martin J40
Old 01-31-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Assuming your amp and mic are functioning properly,,, the first impression I got from reading this is,,, improper mic technique. How far off the mic are you when singing?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Get a small mixer with a better mic preamp and use the EQ of the mixer.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Moving to a Sennheiser 935 mic seemed to make a big difference to me.
Same here. Head and shoulders better than a 58.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification