The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-06-2023, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Default MIM Martin LXMT Tenor Guitar?

Recently moved to 4-string instruments as arthritic fingers began hindering my 6-string abilities.

Found a nice Blueridge BR-40T and set out to sail the Irish GDAD seas! Having fun learning new things and happy to be playing again. My wife plays upright bass and we have gigged and busked for years. I’m hoping we might get to again in the future.

Relaxing in my office chair and practicing has me looking for a smaller, shorter GDAD instrument. While looking at Pono and Kala tenor guitars I came across the Martin LXMT Tenor guitar. Looks like they experienced a very short life. The laminate/stratabond materials and smaller size feature set really appeal to my need right now. I have been looking for awhile and can not find one anywhere!

Did any of you guys own one? What were your thoughts on them? Does anybody know why they stopped making them?
Old 08-07-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8daypsalmist View Post
...Does anybody know why they stopped making them?
Simply put they were total turds, and if you're looking for something in this price range you're far better off with the Kala (former bandmate had one she kept in DGBE Chicago tuning, and it sounded better than its low price would suggest)...
Old 08-07-2023, 05:17 PM

Haven't played that exact model, but have played a bunch of tenors (Blueridge, Harmony, Recording king, Gibson, etc) and a few regular Martin LXMs. And honestly they're all kind of lacking for me. I think they sound very thin and tin-y? I would love to get my hands on an NK Forster tenor, but I've never seen one in person, only videos...They'd probably change my mind on tenors.

BUT I do LOVE my Pono MND-20H and my KR Strings Octolindo. Much fuller and richer sounding.

So for my money, I'd look for an octave mandolin instead of a tenor guitar. Same basic size and set up. But sound much better to my ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments