The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Default 2 Trees mandolin

As many of you know I recently built a mandolin for Mau (Joe Charter) with lots of inlays. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=361967
I actually was building mandolins before I started building guitars but it had been years since and I wanted to make sure his came out nice so I decided to build 5 of them at the same time, partly to test new jigs and fixtures I'd made but also just to fine tune some of the long-lost techniques unique to F style mandolins. As I moved through the processes each was subjected to the same steps up until it came time to do the binding and finish work, at that point I had to work on each individually (no benefit to batching at this point) The first was Mau's (obviously) and now I've completed the second one.

Unlike Mau's this one is not spoken for!

Here are the spec's
L.S Redwood top
One-piece Tree mahogany back and sides (yes bending Tree mahogany for the scroll IS an adventure!!! )
Tortoise shell binding (celluloid)
Ebony fretboard and bridge
Tree mahogany headstock and pickguard

It's basically the same details as my 40th Anniversary "2-Trees" guitars

I'm not sure but I may be having too much fun building these...

Harv
Old 12-17-2014, 08:24 AM
*mahoganut*

Default wow

Wow. I hadn't caught Mau's build thread (but will go there now).

In the meantime, wow.

Not being a mandolin player or listener, how do those woods on this instrument distinguish the tones from other (more common?) mandolin woods? Other than the beauty of the color and grain...

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely stunning, Harv--hope this gets in the hands of someone that can really make it sing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Harv,

Of all the instrument build threads I've seen on this forum I personally believe yours are the nicest aesthetically (I have never tried one of your instruments). Visually, they are truly works of art. Each and every one.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 AM

A true work of art. Well done!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Beautiful.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 PM

I love how some of the aesthetic details and hardware that I asked for ended up on this mando as well! I actually prefer this tailpiece over the more popular flip-flap.

The wood pairing looks great -- and so does the red purfling line and bound f-holes. Overall, this mando has more "traditional" F-5 appointments (3-ply purfling all over, no bling) but non-traditional tone woods -- whereas mine has traditional tone woods but custom appointments (a blingy version of the F-5 Victorian).

In any case, the 2 Trees mando looks very classy and would make a fine addition to any collection.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I love how some of the aesthetic details and hardware that I asked for ended up on this mando as well! I actually prefer this tailpiece over the more popular flip-flap.

The wood pairing looks great -- and so does the red purfling line and bound f-holes. Overall, this mando has more "traditional" F-5 appointments (3-ply purfling all over, no bling) but non-traditional tone woods -- whereas mine has traditional tone woods but custom appointments (a blingy version of the F-5 Victorian).

In any case, the 2 Trees mando looks very classy and would make a fine addition to any collection.
...just wait until you see the "fall back" one... you know... in case I totally screwed up yours It will be exactly the same except for the orchids and maybe the black top... still thinking sunburst. I will probably do the peghead torch inlay too... maybe for thing on the fretboard...

I've been using the red with the Tree guitars I've made and I think it really sets off both the Tree and the Redwood.

Harv
Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Wow. I hadn't caught Mau's build thread (but will go there now).

In the meantime, wow.

Not being a mandolin player or listener, how do those woods on this instrument distinguish the tones from other (more common?) mandolin woods? Other than the beauty of the color and grain...

Best,

Phil
I wish I was a better judge of mandolins... I have a friend coming tomorrow who plays and I hope to get his comparison on it along side the "loaner" that Mau had for a while. He has a Loar era A model so he should be able to give some prospective. For me I like this one the best so far, it has a sweeter more mellow sound but I'm not sure in the world of "real" mando players those things are desirable or not. I do know that it is louder than the loaner...

Harv
Old 12-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Harv,

Of all the instrument build threads I've seen on this forum I personally believe yours are the nicest aesthetically (I have never tried one of your instruments). Visually, they are truly works of art. Each and every one.
Hey thanks a lot!!! Of course I only post pictures of the really cool ones
I suppose I owe it all to my wife who was the one who taught me that almond and beige and different colors... I still don't see it but I trust her...

Harv
Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM

I am mostly a mandolin player, and that is probably the prettiest mandolin I have ever seen. The redwood top set against the tortoise and red binding is stunning, but as a bluegrass mandolin player, I wonder how the redwood and mahogany interact to sculpt the sound? My guess is that it doesn't sound like a "bluegrass mandolin," the classic Gibson sound which I would define as having a deep heavy bass combined with bright, brilliant treble attack with strong emphasis on the fundamental, quick decay and few overtones, almost a scooped sound, to borrow an electric guitar term.

The good thing is that while bluegrassers make up a large percentage of the mandolin market, we certainly don't have it cornered. In particular, a loud F hole mandolin that doesn't sound like a Gibson might be a perfect fit for classical and Celtic session players.

The F-5 was, of course, originally designed for classical mandolin orchestras, but it never really caught on (although Gibson f-5s can certainly be played in a classical context, I play mine in a mandolin quartet) in classical circles, lacking the clear bell-like highs and overtones.

Similarly, ITM players constantly complain that their oval hole mandolins can't be heard in sessions, so a mandolin that combines more of an oval hole tone with F hole projection could be just what they are looking for. In fact, I bet if you built a similar F shaped mandolin with an oval hole (think Gibson F-4) you would have an incredible instrument.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Tree Mandolin

Not spoken for..................at what price point could it be spoken for? Inquiring minds would probably like to know.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow is right. I think it's really cool to step away from maple and spruce for the back and top. Great job!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Wow, Harvey - another phenomenal piece!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 PM

You know I'm loving this thing. I haven't gotten up to Harv's to play it yet…and I'm not a good player…but it would sure be a nice companion piece to my 2 Tree's Cemona on order. For some reason I know he has one one piece back left….I'm gonna need to sell something for sure. I love Harv's work and his aesthetic…this Mando is calling my name.

Now if I can only get him to do a Pressed Back (like Guilds "Fake" carved back Jumbos) flat top guitar.

I will that homeless guy living in a 15 year old motorhome on the corner filled with expensive instruments. The person who finds me dead will be very happy.

PS: I hate you Harvey.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop