The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Yamaha Guitalele Owners - need input

I hope this is the right category to post this in. I saw a few other guitalele threads so I guess it's alright.

I just got a Yamaha gl1 and really like it, but have a question about the sturdiness of the back... if you put light finger pressure on the middle of the upper half of the back (between the neck and waist), should it give/flex slightly?

The reason I ask is because mine does and when it does there's a quick, faint creak or pop noise (like wood against wood). The lower half of the body doesn't have any give to it. I discovered this because initially if I picked certain notes hard enough there was a minor buzz (not fret buzz) seemingly from the body. Then I also noticed the creak sound when playing standing up, if when moving my fretting hand I pulled the neck a little toward my body, putting a little pressure on the upper back against my body... this is what let me to discover the source of the sound.

The creak and buzz are intermittent and only really noticeable to the player. So I'm seeking the experience of other owners to find out if this is a complete anomaly and I should return it for another one. Or, if this is one of the minor quirks of this fun, small, low priced instrument.

The only guesses I have for the sound is that either the brace piece the spans the middle of the back is loose on one end and rubbing the side, or there is a weak spot in the back material.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 AM

I just pulled mine out from the back of the closet and the back is uniformly rigid. It doesn't give at all at any reasonable pressure. Mine also doesn't have any bracing on the back between the neck and the waist.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFast View Post
I just pulled mine out from the back of the closet and the back is uniformly rigid. It doesn't give at all at any reasonable pressure. Mine also doesn't have any bracing on the back between the neck and the waist.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was kind of expecting to hear. Really suspect it might be an imperfection in the material.

Also, when I referenced the brace piece I wasn't completely clear. I meant the piece that spans the middle of the entire back, at the waist. If that were loose though, you would think the bottom half would also give a little.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM

I just checked several of ours here in the store, and none of them do that. Exchange it for another. I'm sure Yamaha will replace it for the dealer.
McPherson Redwood/EIR #1
McPherson Redwood/EIR #2
Breedlove MasterClass Custom Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo
Taylor Custom GA Redwood/Maple
Taylor Custom GA Cedar/Maple
Taylor T5Z Pro
Yamaha A3R
Gurian Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood
Line 6 Variax 700
VoyageAir VAOM-06
VoyageAir VAOM-1C
Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM

My Yamaha Guitalele has no creaking noise or buzz but pressure on the middle of the upper back will make it flex slightly.I think your noise could be i loos brace in the body I would try to return if you can these are great little guitars and good fun to nuddll on.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie RedZone View Post
I just checked several of ours here in the store, and none of them do that. Exchange it for another. I'm sure Yamaha will replace it for the dealer.
Thanks for checking your stock, good to know.

I finally had a chance to further inspect it again today and with better lighting in the day determined the back brace is definitely loose on one side.
Managed to speak to the store and their repair guy is going to fix the loose brace and see if that takes care of the back. If not, they are going to replace it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
gl1, guitalele, yamaha gl1