The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I just ordered a Lanikai LU21B off ebay. I'll let you know how it turns out after I receive it. I'm also a rank beginner, know nothing about ukes, but the prices on Ebay were pretty trivial so I thought I'd give it a shot. New in box, factory seconds for $30.
Hi
I just got my first uke. It's a Vintage tenor. Cost me the equivalent of $90. One thing I've noticed is that it goes out of tune pretty quickly. Apparently you need to stretch the strings and retune often when they are new, to bed them in. Seems ok now.
Ian
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
Hi
I just got my first uke. It's a Vintage tenor. Cost me the equivalent of $90. One thing I've noticed is that it goes out of tune pretty quickly. Apparently you need to stretch the strings and retune often when they are new, to bed them in. Seems ok now.
Ian
Tenor is definitely the way to go, well, IMO at least. Congrats on your purchase. Those strings will take a few days to really fully stretch out.

I can say without reservation that getting a ukulele was one of the best things I've ever done. It's amazing how easily one can pick up a few chords and start singing along. I play a lot of fingerstyle on mine too. About a year ago, I picked up an Ohana all solid mahogany tenor. Amazing stuff!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Hi Denis
Thanks. Sounds like you're hooked on the uke now. That all solid Ohana sounds like a lovely instrument.
Ian
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM

Received my Lanikai LU21B today. Plays well out of the box and sounds pleasant. Since it's my first and only ukulele, I don't have anything to make a comparison.

It was sold with the proviso that it may have some imperfections. There was a 1/4" scratch on the fret board, and a couple small nicks in the edge of fret board. For the $30 (plus $14 shipping) seems like a good deal. Otherwise was in great condition.

Trying to get the strings to settle in, but it's alot of fun to play.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Received my Lanikai LU21B today. Plays well out of the box and sounds pleasant. Since it's my first and only ukulele, I don't have anything to make a comparison.

It was sold with the proviso that it may have some imperfections. There was a 1/4" scratch on the fret board, and a couple small nicks in the edge of fret board. For the $30 (plus $14 shipping) seems like a good deal. Otherwise was in great condition.

Trying to get the strings to settle in, but it's alot of fun to play.
Congratulations. I'm enjoying mine too. Good fun. Strings are bedding in slowly.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Tenor is definitely the way to go, well, IMO at least. Congrats on your purchase. Those strings will take a few days to really fully stretch out.

I can say without reservation that getting a ukulele was one of the best things I've ever done. It's amazing how easily one can pick up a few chords and start singing along. I play a lot of fingerstyle on mine too. About a year ago, I picked up an Ohana all solid mahogany tenor. Amazing stuff!
Hi Denis, What model Ohana did you get (TK-35)? I'm looking at getting a UKE. I just bought one for my niece so I think I should get one for myself so we can play together. Have you tried playing a concert model? I've never played a Tenor model.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
Hi Denis, What model Ohana did you get (TK-35)? I'm looking at getting a UKE. I just bought one for my niece so I think I should get one for myself so we can play together. Have you tried playing a concert model? I've never played a Tenor model.
Hey Frank, howzit? Get one! Get a tenor, slap a low G on the bottom, and it will parallel your guitar nearly seamlessly.

For those hankering for something complimentary, yet different PLUS have the ability to stretch yer fingers thru a slew of frets, all while playing off the dynamics of a "re-entrant" tuning (high "G"), soprano or concert would be great. If you feel your fingers may be waaaay too big for those (they're not, really), you can still keep with traditional uke tuning on a tenor, y'know--high G. Those are cool too. Heck, one can even put a low G on sop or concert as well if they just want a different flavor.

I favor the soprano, and play a lot of BIG guitars as well, Nat 12 strings with 2" nuts, y'know, big hand guitars..soprano is a vacation, as are the 2 National 12 strings, and a few others with big nuts, longer scales. I'm talkin' FUN here! As well as a new way to approach your musical journey!

And really, forumites, uke strings just do not take that long to settle if the advice above is followed.

(Edit: oops, string advice in another topic, sorry..in a nutshell, pull strings all the way, no slack, lock, tune, gently stretch, play hard, tune. A few hours, good to go, minor adjusting. How embarrassing...)

Just a few opinions, but to dispel any myths about to take hold,

1. Tenors are not necessarily louder, or the "go to" size for guitar players.
2. Sopranos are not necessarily harder to play with big hands
3. Strings don't take eons to settle
4. All sizes are the way to go for guitar/mandolin/violin/tuba players
5. Is open, add yours!

Really, not rocket surgery or brain science, all of them are great, fun, easy to get started on, and vastly satisfying to our artistic endeavors.

Last edited by Neal; 12-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 AM

I have the Ohana TK35G. It's a gloss finish, hence the G in the model number. It's no Martin or Kamaka or anything but compared to the Makala I bought my son for Xmas a couple of years ago, it's very nice. I bought it from a dealer on ebay that sets up all the ukes they sell. And they do a nice job!

Ian, I had always thought that the ukulele was a bit of a joke. Then, once I tried a tenor, it took 5 min and I was hooked. I'm strumming, finger picking...it's so much more versatile than I had ever imagined. All I can say to everyone out there is go buy a ukulele, you won't be disappointed!

I recently wrote and recorded a little tune I call Warm and Tender. I had this little uke bit in my head then I added some guitar and mandolin. The whole thing came together over the course of a weekend.

https://denisturbide.bandcamp.com/
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Denis - I'm really enjoying my tenor so far. Very fun to play. Strings seem to have settled after a couple of weeks of stretching and retuning. Really enjoying it. Even contemplating adding a concert to my collection now!
Ian
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Denis - I'm really enjoying my tenor so far. Very fun to play. Strings seem to have settled after a couple of weeks of stretching and retuning. Really enjoying it. Even contemplating adding a concert to my collection now!
Ian

The strings will take some time to stretch but after that, they usually stay in tune fairly well if the tuners are decent. What brand are you using? Aquila seems to be the one brand most people agree upon.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Bit late for the OP's question, but another fairly cheap, but good quality brand available in the UK, is Brueko (sorry, can't manage umlauts!!). I've got one of their soprano ukes - sold hog with maple neck. Currently 124 Euros direct from the manufacturer in Germany or a little more in UK music stores.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:15 AM

Denis - I've left the stock strings on. But I've just bought a set of Aquila Nylgut strings and a set of Living Water fluorocarbon strings too
Old 12-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Denis - I've left the stock strings on. But I've just bought a set of Aquila Nylgut strings and a set of Living Water fluorocarbon strings too
I was at a shop yesterday trying some guitars and ukes. They had $90 Makala tenors strung up with red Aquila Nylgut strings and the notes would just pop out. Just amazing. I might try a set of those on mine one day. I find that uke strings last a long time unlike steel strings on a guitar.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Smile First Ukulele advice

Hi strummers and pluckers!

Yanto Hi,

I was in your position some years ago and it is a difficult one.

Some would say don't buy bottom end rubbish, go for the best and everything else etc, BUT there is one answer :-

Buy the cheapest Tenor you can get, wipe with damp soapy sponge to clean it, put on new strings and play it. When you are happy and comfortable keep it and gradually change for a' better one ' if you think that's a good idea?-- no idea what that means?!
You could of course be very sensible and, buy a really sad uku and love it and don't listen to the international 'gang ' that give you loads of makers at higher prices that in all honesty for a starter are just varnish, colour, coloured turners
inlay on the back and neck and all that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, it's going to be 'Ebay@ and loads of questions
Happy Christmas
Old 12-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Smile

Quote:
I just ordered a Lanikai LU21B off ebay. I'll let you know how it turns out after I receive it. I'm also a rank beginner, know nothing about ukes, but the prices on Ebay were pretty trivial so I thought I'd give it a shot. New in box, factory seconds for $30.

Hi strummers and pluckers
Hi PSZY
Good man or woman - very good answer.
The key things about the uku when starting out for the first are:,

1. Can you easily afford it?
2. Can you understand the cordation?
3. Are you happy with the fret spacing?
4. Are you content with the string spacing?
5. Can you master the Strum?
6. Are you content with your progress?

When you can answer these and of course there will be more, perhaps progress to a more expensive model or one that more suits your style

There you go , it's easy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments