The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Chinese versus Spanish made Cordobas... the verdict!

I recently acquired my tenth Cordoba instrument. It's a GK Pro blanco, all-solid flamenco made in China, from their Luthier series (top of the line Chinese constructed). I owned one just like it several years ago and loved it. Only sold it because I was on hiatus from playing/gigging acoustic and was made a high offer on it.

So far, I'm loving the new one as much as the former one. I also currently own a Chinese F10, Chinese C12 SP/IN, and Spanish made (Espana series) FCWE Reissue. I've also had Spanish made 55FCE maple and 55FCE Ltd Ziricote Cordobas, among several lower end Chinese models.

My opinion after years of Cordoba ownership is that (for me), the Luthier high-end Chinese models are the best value, play the best, and sound the best. Obviously, there are variations in each instrument and no doubt there are those who prefer the Espana series instruments. But for me, the Chinese guitars have been my favorites. In fact, i just sold my last Espana series instrument and since I have three Luthier series instruments, I am completely content. My point in posting this was for those considering Cordobas made in Spain versus those made in China. Don't dismiss the Chinese instruments just because of their country of origin. And don't assume that Spanish made classicals/flamencos must be superior because of their birth place.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the critique. Always good to hear from the perspective of an actual owner and player.
Do you have any thoughts on the Cordobas currently being made in California?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

You have had many Cordobas!

How many other classical & flamenco guitars have you owned? Any from notable Spanish or Mexican builders? How did those compare?

I bought a C5 for my daughter. She loved it and I thought it was a fantastic guitar - FOR THE MONEY. I owned a C10 for 3 days and sent it back to MF. I played a C9 at GC and did not buy it. The C5 hit the target square on - for the money it was hard to beat.

I just feel that as you move up the line price-wise, better options appear from other sources. At the C10/C9 level, guitars from Paracho, Mexico are far more appealing to me.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm a big fan of the Luthier level series from Cordoba too... I currently own a C-10 and a GK Pro Negra.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Can you how great or not on the C12
Dave
T&T
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 09-13-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Can you how great or not on the C12
Dave
T&T
I owned a C12 for a short period of time and like other Cordoba Luthier series guitars, they're well-made and a great value. The key is whether you prefer the sound of lattice bracing versus fan bracing. Me, I much prefer the fan bracing sound. Didn't keep the C12 long for that reason.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 AM

A good comment from Red Label regarding the country of origin of an insrument. After all, some of the best classical guitars are made in Germany (Hauser for example), and even here in England.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:06 AM

the chinese and spanish economies seem so different, as does their history of luthiery. i wonder, and its just speculation, if building cordoba guitars in china would attract a more skilled and long term employee.

i would guess that in spain, building c10 guitars would be seen as a task for budding or less dedicated luthiers, whereas in china it might be more coveted, and there might be less opportunities to advance or branch out.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument with the OP but I have an Alhambra 7P which I purchased after looking at all the Cordoba models up to the C10. For me the 7P was superior in fit, finish and sound. Being able to say I had a real "Spanish Guitar" was just a side benefit.

Dave
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 AM

I've been very impressed with all of the higher end Cordoba models I've played, but it always seems to me they're not really set up as "classical" guitars, even the non-crossovers.

Which is fine by me, as I'm no classical player, but I love nylon strings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've been very impressed with all of the higher end Cordoba models I've played, but it always seems to me they're not really set up as "classical" guitars, even the non-crossovers.

Which is fine by me, as I'm no classical player, but I love nylon strings.
My C12 is the finest classical I've ever owned or played (and that list includes some very nice luthier-made instruments).

At any rate, in my experience Cordobas are the best value generally in the under $2K nylon market.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument with the OP but I have an Alhambra 7P which I purchased after looking at all the Cordoba models up to the C10. For me the 7P was superior in fit, finish and sound. Being able to say I had a real "Spanish Guitar" was just a side benefit.

Dave
Hey, there are exceptions to everything out there. But when it comes to mass-produced nylon-strung instruments, it's hard to beat Cordoba (which is precisely why I've owned so many). I sold my $4K Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova after I bought my first Cordoba (a $600 Chinese GK Studio). Cordoba may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they obviously scratch my itch... at any price below $5K.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
the chinese and spanish economies seem so different, as does their history of luthiery. i wonder, and its just speculation, if building cordoba guitars in china would attract a more skilled and long term employee.

i would guess that in spain, building c10 guitars would be seen as a task for budding or less dedicated luthiers, whereas in china it might be more coveted, and there might be less opportunities to advance or branch out.
Your point is very valid and I totally agree. It used to be that Chinese instruments were inferior. But just like with Japanese and later, Korean instruments... Chinese instruments are getting better.

I almost got to test my Chinese instruments against an American-made Cordoba Master series (Reyes) last week... as I was watching a used one on ebay for $1450. I was very close to pulling the trigger, but talked myself out of it because I had just bought the new GK Pro. The auction ended without a buyer and was relisted at $1400. Someone snatched it up immediately. I probably should have beat them to it, but am VERY content with my Chinese instruments.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I owned a C12 for a short period of time and like other Cordoba Luthier series guitars, they're well-made and a great value. The key is whether you prefer the sound of lattice bracing versus fan bracing. Me, I much prefer the fan bracing sound. Didn't keep the C12 long for that reason.
My lattice-braced C12 SP/IN is definitely stiffer than all of my fan-braced Cordoba flamencos... but I would expect that and for sheer volume and boldness, the C12 holds it own with any nylon I've ever played.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
You have had many Cordobas!

How many other classical & flamenco guitars have you owned? Any from notable Spanish or Mexican builders? How did those compare?

I bought a C5 for my daughter. She loved it and I thought it was a fantastic guitar - FOR THE MONEY. I owned a C10 for 3 days and sent it back to MF. I played a C9 at GC and did not buy it. The C5 hit the target square on - for the money it was hard to beat.

I just feel that as you move up the line price-wise, better options appear from other sources. At the C10/C9 level, guitars from Paracho, Mexico are far more appealing to me.
I've owned some $2K level classical instruments from Yamaha, Takamine, and Yairi (all Japanese made of course), as well as the $4K Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova. My Chinese C12 is superior to all of them IMO. But it's splitting hairs at that level, because all were very good instruments and I would still likely own them if I was into collecting. Unfortunately, I usually have to sell guitars to get more on the way. My wife would not be thrilled if I never sold anything to at least partially fund my guitar habit (which also includes expensive electrics, tube amps, and pedals). So I get to try a lot of things and the ones that I like the most stick around the longest. I don't develop too deep of attachments to most gear, even gear that's great. It's about the journey for me, and the inspiration that the gear provides while it provides it. Once it no longer inspires me... it's gone without a lot of regret. But my love affair with Cordoba as a brand is now 4-5 years old. That's pretty long for me.

Btw... one of my closest friends runs a music store full of boutique gear. So I get to demo a LOT of very nice stuff. Some of it I buy, and some of it I bring back. But I get to experience many guitars and amps without always having to buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical