The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-06-2016, 07:01 AM

Default Amp settings for "crossover" guitar.

I've had my Manuel Rodriguez "Flamenco Moderno" guitar for some months now and it's very nice... But I've had trouble getting a decent amplified sound out of the Fishman electronics.

I have a Cube 40 amp, and I've been using the "clean" channel and fooling with the settings on both the guitar and the amp.
I had been really having trouble with the bass response... It tended to be "quacky" regardless of adjustments.

However the other day I was looking at the "lead" channel settings (which I almost never use) and noticed that among the amp emulations is one called "acoustic simulation".

Gave it a try.... Sounds terrific. Smooth response across the range, no "quack"....

Pays to keep experimenting.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Isn't the Cube 40 an electric guitar amp? I would not really expect to get a good acoustic tone out of that, but glad that you found settings that you liked.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM

I use the clean option on my Cube 80, mids almost all the way down, bass and treble at 1 o''clock, lots of plate reverb plus chorus and delay. Same eq on the guitar except I keep the treble at half-way. Works well enough but my keyboard amp gives better sounds. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I've been a big proponent of Fishman stuff for acoustic amplification (having owned and gigged several Fishman products).

But last spring I bought the Roland Cube Street EX PA Pack (contains two Street EX amps, cables, and soft case on wheels) and I've been extremely happy with it for amplification of my Cordoba flamencos. In fact, I've chosen to gig it more times this summer than I have my Fishman stuff. On the acoustic setting, it's very natural and lively.

Also, I'm all about boutique tube amps when I play electric, but the one non-tube amp that I own is a Roland Cube 80XL and it's an awesome little amp. So you can't go wrong with the Roland Cube series and it's what I always recommend when people are looking for great, inexpensive amps.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Correction: I have to set the lows around 10 o'clock on the amp in order to stop the low end roar on the bass strings. Setting the lows at 1 o'clock on the guitar gives me pretty good low end. Sorry about my previous post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical