The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 AM

Default Holy Mother of Mercy... this guy is amazing!

I'm sure many here already know who he is and are familiar with him, but for those who don't... Jarle Bernhoft must be seen and heard to be believed. Like many of you, I've been playing a LONG time, I'm a bit jaded as I get longer in the tooth... I don't dole out high praise because it just isn't often that I see someone who truly blows my socks off, but in this case, I have to give it up... no choice.

I've had the good fortune to see him live in a smaller club setting and if I'm being honest, it kind of changed my whole paradigm and feeling about what was even possible for a solo singer/ guitar player.

There are plenty of great singer/players who are good at live looping, but this guy just sets the bar at a whole other level with what he is doing. Combined with his clever songwriting, amazingly soulful voice, creative use of gear (notice the old Eko Ranger strung with actual bass strings for the low A and E and tuned down an octave) and his unique guitar playing... It all just puts him in a special category from others... at least for me... I'm sure others may disagree if what he "does" is not your thing.

Doesn't matter if you're into rock, blues, soul, country, or even classical... even if his style is not exactly your thing, I think there is really almost no way to ignore this guys talent as a musician.

Just thought I would share a few of my favorite clips. If you've never checked out Jarle, you owe it to yourself to take a minute and discover...

Last edited by chris6120; 09-26-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 AM

I really appreciate this guys talent and its a gift for sure, but this does nothing for me. Looping usually drives me nuts unless it someone like Tommy Emmanuel or Phil Keaggy or even Shun Ng.
Still this could inspire someone else so thanks for the post.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:22 AM

Same here. I appreciate the skills, that's about it. To each his own.
I've seen Phil Keaggy a few times and I don't even care for all his looping and effects. Just play and sing Phil, your so talented, you don't need all that stuff.
That's why Neil Young unplugged in a small venue was so awesome. He just played his instruments and sang... mesmerizing and jaw-dropping!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I didn't really see or hear anything that won me over, either.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I dug his groove and vox, very talented; thank you for sharing this!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM

I'm sorta conflicted about the whole looper thing. If you've ever tried it yourself, you know it's hard to do, even in a rudimentary way. You have to divide your attention (more than I'm capable of, anyway). Your time has to be really, really good. And you're pretty limited in terms of the songwriting possibilities.

So I'm impressed by anyone who can do it at all, and flabbergasted by anyone who can do it at this level. When I say "anyone," I've personally worked with another guy who's different but at least as accomplished.

On the other hand, it's a gimmick. In the case of this performer, my takeaway on the songs is zero. My take on his singing is cynical -- he sounds soulful enough, but how much can he be feeling it while doing all that other junk? It's like Joe Cocker (r.i.p.) singing She Came In Through the Bathroom Window -- the words are nonsense so the "soul" must be manufactured. Mailed in.

On the third hand, it's incredibly visual. In the world we have now where the record business is basically gone, it's good business to be a performer who literally must be seen to be appreciated.

On the fourth hand, it makes for highly un-compelling radio.

Couch Standards
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm sorta conflicted about the whole looper thing. If you've ever tried it yourself, you know it's hard to do, even in a rudimentary way. <snip>
I agree with almost everything Brent says here. Looping is not easy. TBH, most guitarists I know can't even play to a click track -- if you can't play to EXACTLY the same tempo and beat, looping will destroy you. I can't, so I can't even imagine doing this.

However, there are a lot of things that are incredibly hard to do that just aren't fun to listen to. I even agree with what people say about Phil Kaeggy's use of it. Clearly he has mastered this technology, but I can only watch/listen to him do it for about 2 minutes before I get a little bored. But when he is just playing, I can watch for hours.

So, while I admire it. I really don't want to listen to or watch it.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:58 AM

I couldnt watch it through, sorta hurts.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Good thing he can play with a nut smaller than 1 3/4"
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Awesome

I'm old and terminally un-hip. But I thought he was awesome!

John C.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 AM

He plays an Eko Ranger, wow! Not seen one othese played in anger for 40 years or more.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 AM

It's fun...it's not the type of music I seek out, but you gotta appreciate people who are so good at what they do.

Have you guys seen Jacob Collier?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM

What's even more amazing is that he's 41 years old but looks 25.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
What's even more amazing is that he's 41 years old but looks 25.
Lack of stress from not having to deal with musicians. Obviously.

Couch Standards
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's hard to do looping well - you really need to treat it as a music instrument in its own right - and too often the music can just sound too repetitive (for my taste).

The most impressive looping performance I've ever seen live was by young British artist Joni Fuller - absolutely astonishing and very often apart from the initial loop buildup you really wouldn't guess it was looped at all. She has some videos on the Tube:

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion