The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 AM

Default "Drums" advice?

Not sure where this one fits...

I'm thinking about spicing up my live performances with percussion. I play alone on a D-35 and harmonica, kinda' Dylan style. Sometimes I really miss some percussion, but I don't want to hire a drummer

What would you advise I use? I tried a small kick drum for fun, and it's just too difficult to transport and "too much", too overwhelming.

I'm thinking about stomping on a tambourine, but the problem is that it goes on the upbeat, the snare, just like the guitar. I want something that goes on the kick drum - I hope you know what I mean.

I've been eyeing Ortega's horse kick, but aren't these boxes a bit artificial? Maybe a bit too overwhelming with just one guitar, and I would have to stomp on them all the time, otherwise the songs would become too empty too quick? I would like something more natural, and subtle. Any recommendations please? The above might easily be a misconception, so please correct me if you don't agree.

Thanks!

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

A simple wooden stomp box.... I have one doing nothing.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 AM

I've been using a Porchboard Bass for many years for self-accompaniment percussion. Solid build, ergonomically satisfying and easy to add to your mix. Works well as a kick drum simulator. Here's some info: http://www.porchboard.com/

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 AM

Kick drum pedal rigged to beat on a cajon?

Another suggestion is to rig the kick drum pedal to beat on a traditional Chinese or Japanese drum. You may be able to find them in different sizes in Chinatown or online. They are cheap.

16" or 14" floor tom converted to kick.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-26-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 AM

I wonder if any single sound will become tiresome after a couple of songs. How about a trigger pedal and a sample box/drum module? You could vary the instrument sound. Do you need to be fully acoustic?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

I have a stomp box pedal thing. I don't like the sound of it. I have heard other brands that I disliked less, but in the end, the poarchboard/stompbox pedals don't do it for me. So, I got the idea to go to samples as suggested above. The problem is the triggering. Typical triggers work with a kick drum pedal. Works well if you are a drummer sitting at a kit, but for me I don't want to move my leg so much. I just want to tap my foot and trigger the sample.
So I bought some piezo triggers, in the hopes that I could stick them somewhere on my stompbox pedal and trigger from there, but so far no luck as the signal is far too weak.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 AM

If you'd rather actually play the beats yourself rather than simulate it with a looper or a drum machine, check out what this guy does with Roland KT10's

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM

On our latest record project, I'm creating "foundations" upon which the band layers its stuff. The lowest layer of the foundation is a drum loop built in a DAW from a product called EZ Drummer 2.

I'm super pleased at how "real" the drums sound and how creative I can get with a minimum of drumming talent. I'd originally thought that all the midi drums would get replaced with real stuff, but now I'm re-thinking.

Anyway, If I was so inclined, this system (a $60 DAW called Reaper and the $250 plug-in called EZ Drummer 2 with Songwriter Extension) may well be a nice way to produce the pre-recorded elements for my solo act as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM

https://www.footdrums.com/

Whenever I see a guitar player using (or trying to use) something percussive with his/her feet while playing guitar, it always comes across something like this for me:

https://media.giphy.com/media/I2kUA6oHPVUl2/giphy.gif

Each to his own.

IMO, you should just jam with a drummer at some point. We aren't all that bad.

Best of luck either way!

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 09-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Sounds like you'd rather stay all-acoustic - worked briefly with a converted-drummer grad-school bud in the late-70's (miked 6- and 12-string guitar) and we did something like this:
  • Keep the bass drum/pedal setup and swap the beater for an old-style all-felt or lambs'-wool version - takes the sharp edge off the initial attack and reduces volume (Note: add a Remo Fiberskyn head and a glue-on strike pad to the equation and you'll have all the "natural and subtle" you need);
  • Check your local big-box store's percussion department for a used hi-hat and a set of cheap used hat cymbals (these get traded in all the time as kids step up from their beginner kits) - work the hi-hat on the "snare" (2-4) beats and you might be surprised at just how much of a "full kit" illusion it provides for the audience (add a sizzler to give a "snare+ride" effect);
Although they weren't available at the time, there are several hand percussion instruments that have been adapted to foot-pedal control (tambourines, cowbells, wood blocks) which you can add to either side of your kit, as well as double-bass pedals that can help add some drive to those "chug" rhythms or (played softly) fill out the low end when you're working up the neck...
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM

May not be what you're looking for, but I'm intrigued by this pedal's capabilities.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic