The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Default Martin Warranty Issue

I don't know if this is an issue with Fazio's in St. Louis or with Martin. I haven't talked to Martin yet, but Fazios says they can't fix the binding on my D18. They said that Martin stated that the guitar was under warranty, but Martin wouldn't allow Fazio's to fix it? It basically just needs some glue (in roughly a three inch section of the binding), but I don't want to fix it myself and void the warranty. Fazio's is a certified Martin service center according the the employees and website. I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to Martin, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that they will have a different story. Fazio's estimate was $75, so that may have something to do with it. Maybe Martin told them they wouldn't pay them that? I don't know. I do know I have been without my guitar for a week and the guys at Fazio's were- in no way- apologetic about any of it. Needless to say, I won't be back there. The only question that remains is- what's really going on?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 PM

It will cost you that much or more to send the guitar to Martin.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM

I'll reserve my personal opinions about Martin's QC/CS over the last quarter-century, but in all fairness I'd wait 24 hours to hear their side of the story - something doesn't sound quite right here...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I’m curious, did you purchase the guitar from Fazio’s?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM

Yeah, but if they are a certified repair/service center for Martin and refusing to do work, it could (and should) result in their Martin "officialdom" presence removed.
It reflects poorly on Martin that one of their certified centers refuses to do work, especially in this day and age of social media/internet exposure. I can guarantee you that in a short manner of time this thread will be easily found using a search via Google for search term similar to "Martin refuses warranty".
With that kind of exposure and if the shop actually was authorized but wasn't going to get reimbursed what they could charge in-house and figured they could soak the owner due to the cost of shipping probably being more than what he would pay them for the repair would be a black eye for their certified service/repair center setup (long sentence I know).
2017 Gibson HP 415 W
2017 Ibanez AVN10
2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T (Desert Burst)
2017 Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster 3 color Sunburst
2017 Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster
2017 Fender American Professional Telecaster
2017 Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I’m curious, did you purchase the guitar from Fazio’s?
No sir. They asked that same question when I dropped it off.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
No sir. They asked that same question when I dropped it off.
I was wondering if they had an attitude about that.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve only had to use a Martin warranty once - a cracked bridge on a D-28. Martin responded quickly, worked with my local certified repair guy to get it fixed and none of it cost me a dime. Couldn’t have asked for better CS. Here’s hoping your issue gets solved equally quickly and well.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'll reserve my personal opinions about Martin's QC/CS over the last quarter-century, but in all fairness I'd wait 24 hours to hear their side of the story - something doesn't sound quite right here...
Definitely. I'm sure there's more to it. I dont know what "more" that is, but there is something not right here.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Guest 1928

Certainly the website information may be incomplete, but Fazio's does not show up when I search repair centers on Martin's site. You won't know for sure until you talk to Martin.

All that said, what you describe is a fairly simple repair, but not as simple as just throwing some glue it. I'd say $75 is reasonable, assuming it's no worse that I think from the description. I don't speak for Martin, but I know they've often covered this sort of repair under warranty. Again, every case is different, but I would expect there's a high probability it would be covered.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I was wondering if they had an attitude about that.
They acted like it wouldn't be a problem if it was under warranty. I wouldnt have agreed to a week without it if I thought it wouldn't get done. Attitude at that point wasn't really an issue. The indifference today was enough for them to lose my business though. We'll see what happens I guess.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM

There are different levels of Martin Factory Authorized... It depends on the techs and their skills... Just because you are authorized to replace a nut does not mean you are authorized to reset a neck.. Just saying...

If you had bought it from them - most likely they would do the legwork to make sure it gets to whoever the factory authorizes...
Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Default warranty

There has to be more to the issue. My guess is that it is the store, not Martin. This is based on my experiences with Martin's warranty.
I have had to use the warranty twice in 25 years. Both times the store wanted to charge me. I called Martin and they immediately said it was under warranty and the store should repair at no cost to me. Judging by the tone of the Martin CS person, they were quite angry with the store. Later I found out that Martin challenged them to NEVER treat a customer like they treated me. The store went out of business about a year later.
In another instance, a Martin Authorized repair person was able to get approval to repair my 1968 D28 (I am the original owner) The guitar at the time was over 40 years old!

I'd like to hear the end of the story on this post. Please report back.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 PM

When I called Martin about a binding issue with my 1981 D-35, they said that it was covered under their warranty.
They gave me 3 options as to where do have the work done.
Two dealers in Colorado or back to their repair shop.
I live in Utah.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
I haven't talked to Martin yet, but Fazios says they can't fix the binding on my D18. They said that Martin stated that the guitar was under warranty, but Martin wouldn't allow Fazio's to fix it?
It seems likely that Fazio's statement that Martin stated that the guitar was under warranty, but, wouldn't allow them to fix it, is incorrect. If Fazio's is an authorized Martin repair centre and the guitar is under warranty, for this particular type of damage, then it should be an automatic repair under warranty. The cost of the repair paid by Martin to Fazio's, if repaired under warranty, would not be disclosed to you. Did you tell them that you had an accident with the guitar or a humidity issue that might have voided the warranty for this repair?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion