The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I own an Eastman E10SS, and I own a Gibson J50 (think natural top J45). I love them both, but am partial to the J50. Its more crisp, where the E10 is more "tight" with less treble. I am an amatuer, but I made a video a few weeks ago:

Oh, and everyone should have a Gibson. Everyone. No exception.
Those two guitars sound closer in tone than you led on.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Gibson/Eastman

My hope is to play an Eastman E20SS along side a J45 Custom. Chances of finding two at the same place will be a challenge so I'll settle for playing them apart if that could happen.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM

They seem to be a tad more inconsistent than the Martins & Taylors but when you find a good one they are every bit as nice.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM

I'm a big fan of the Gibson sound; in general, I've enjoyed some of the Hummingbirds and J-45s I've played much more than any Martin or Taylor. But, like others have said, they can be inconsistent. For everyone one or two Gibson I've played that sounded nice, there have been a handful of others that were underwhelming or just sounded bad. If I were in the market for a Gibson, I would definitely want to try out the exact guitar before buying it.

I've been very intrigued in the J-15 since I found out it existed (in demos, I actually prefer the sound to a J-45), but I haven't been able to play a good one yet. My local big box store has two with the most corroded, lifeless strings I've ever encountered, so I can't really tell how either sounds.

Last edited by Archsas; 09-25-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

I had an LGO in the seventies. As I recall it was a pretty nice little guitar. Been a long time since then, though.

In recent years, I've picked up a few Gibsons in shops, but none have sounded particularly good to my ear. Most seemed like they were over built - heavily built such that the overtones were very minimal; they seemed less lively, less responsive, a bit of "dull" in comparison to Martins and Taylors.

But that said, my sample size has been very small and I'm sure there are some Gibson acoustics out there that have a good tone and responsiveness.

Try a bunch and if one 'speaks' to you - take it home!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83 View Post

It seems like a lot of people online hate on Gibson guitars. Why is that?
Not so much hate as disappointment. I like a good Gibson slope shoulder dread, but I've played a lot that were acoustic duds. More so than any other brand and model I've tried.

If you want to greatly improve your chances of playing a good one, try to get to one of the better Gibson dealers. Wildwood Guitars was mentioned, and I've played a few of their custom J45s and AJs, and they were what you'd expect a good Gibson to sound like.

Anyway, have fun in your search. Hope you get a chance to play some good ones. They're special.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 PM

The Gibson brand has had some ups and downs with acoustic quality IMO but I think they're a more reliable bet today - perhaps similar to Martin regarding your chances of getting a good one online.

A few days ago I played the best Martin Authentic (D28A '37) I've found and my chosen 2016 J45V was right there with it - something I would not have believed once.

That praise aside, their different models vary a lot more than other makers I believe and you couldn't extrapolate love for one model to another.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I don't know your budget, but if you have a little cash lying around have a look at Kopp, Flammag and Walker wise, typically all Gibsons on steroids.https://youtu.be/KJisf29Vl78
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I don't know your budget, but if you have a little cash lying around have a look at Kopp, Flammag and Walker wise, typically all Gibsons on steroids.
Might also take a look at the Santa Cruz slope shoulders. My Gibson J-45 is a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Played a fantastic Gibson on the weekend. Was a J45, but it had a 12-fret neck on it (Limited model)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...t-Edition.aspx

Wow, it was a fantastic guitar. Great projection and balance. Great action and slightly thinner, comfortable neck. As with all dreads, I did find the body a bit large for my typical, seated, playing position but it was workable. If I had the funds kicking around I most definitely would have taken it home with me.

For many Gibsons I can't get past the asthetics (pictorial pickguards and mustache bridges) but always liked the J45. Now with the 12-fret neck it is truly tempting.

Later
Rob

PS - The fit and finish on the guitar seemed top-notch, FWIW.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM

edwardmatt83, I would be happy to give you my experience with Gibsons. I had a '70s J-45 that I bought new, right after graduating from high school. It was a beautiful sunburst. I played it sporadically and badly for 10-12 years and when I sold it it was still the most beautiful guitar I had ever seen. Unfortunately, it sounded exactly the same as it always had.

Over the years I bought a beat, but really sweet, mid-30's L-00. For some reason I let it go as well. When they were reintroduced I found and bought a rosewood AJ that was too good for my skills as a guitarist. In a fit of GAS, I sold it to buy something else.

Finally, a couple of years ago I bought a new but beat to heck, neglected J-35 that had been hanging in my local GC for a long,long time for a very good deal. No 'burst, but man, is it a player! So after more than 40 years I finally have found a Gibson that I will keep for as long as I can play.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Just as there is a "Martin" sound, there is a "Gibson" sound. I know I'm generalizing, but to me, the Gibson sound emphasizes the fundamentals and there aren't so many overtones. Especially for their spruce over mahogany models. A friend characterized the Gibson sound as the best for strummers.

My experience with Gibsons began around 2009. I played several Gibsons at the local GC and they all sounded quite average to me. (Hummingbird was one model). Maybe the strings were old, but I passed at the time for a really nice Breedlove. Fast forward to earlier this year. I really had my heart set on a J-45. Found one. Sounded pretty decent, but the 2016 construction was very shoddy. The exterior finish was really good, but the bones had all kind of glue squeezeout and the bridge pin holes were very sloppily drilled. I felt like I deserved better quality, believing if the interior construction was that poor, what problems lay ahead for me? I traded the J-45 for my Eastman. This is just my experience. I may yet own a Gibson, but if I do, I'll scrutinize the heck out of before pulling the trigger.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM

I've never played a Gibson that I'd buy.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I don't hate Gibson acoustics.
I have acoustic guitars from Guild, Martin, and Taylor.
I just don't like the characteristic acoustic Gibson tone enough to buy one.

Tone preference is personal.
There is no right or wrong.
If you like something, buy it.

I own and love my two Gibson electric guitars though, a Les Paul and an ES-335.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I've never played a Gibson that I'd buy.
+1, acoustic that is.

Quote:
I don't hate Gibson acoustics.
Just don't like the characteristic tone enough to buy one.

I own and love my two Gibson electric guitars though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion